1 (edited by Jonathan 2012-08-08 18:02:31)

Topic: Hi from a total noob

Hi every one. I'm sure Ill be spending alot of time in this forum as the solidoodle is going to be my first 3d printer. Also I know absolutely jack squat about drawing and CAD. I'm mainly interested in printing off things from the web(thingiverse, 3d warehouse, shapways, ect.) I have been doing 3d casting with liquid resin and silicon for a while now and am excited to see what the future holds.

Nice to meet y'all smile

Re: Hi from a total noob

Hey Jonathan!

After you print enough of other people's creations, I can certainly guarantee you that you will want to create some of your own smile

Especially if its some sort of part that needs replacing or a specific use that you have!

Welcome to the community!

I know, I know. lol I work for a local community college so I can take 1 course a semester there for free. I might see if they offer any CAD classes at night.

CAD is great to know, however other drawing disciplines might help as well. Taking a class on engineering in Solid Works or a MAYA modeling class might be just as helpful.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Jon -

If you are used to building physical models, one thing to help you start is a program like Pixelogic's Sculptris.  And you can always scan objects you like (with a Kinect for instance), then modify and re-mix them!