Topic: 3mm Filament Diameter issues

Hello all,

As the title suggests, I am having HUGE issues with extruding 3mm filament. I have tried many different temperatures, heights and even added another fan, but all have failed. I have been seeing variances between 2.4 and 3.1mm in diameter. Totally unprintable! If anyone has been successful with extruding a consistent diameter 3mm filament, please divulge your secrets to me! It would make me eternally grateful.

Re: 3mm Filament Diameter issues

first question PLA, ABS or what plastic?

Ralph

3mm filament is 8x stiffer than 1.75 - you'll need big time height (distance from nozzle to floor), like 6-7 feet.

Like Ralph said, what polymer?

Sorry about that. I am extruding ABS plastic from about 49" off the ground. The diameter of the filament is significantly lower than 3mm though.

pitunia wrote:

Sorry about that. I am extruding ABS plastic from about 49" off the ground. The diameter of the filament is significantly lower than 3mm though.

Yeah, that's too low for good diameter filament at 3.0mm diameter. You need almost double that height.

Shooting for 3.0mm filament would have been a bad idea in the design, since any positive variation would result in the jamming of a bowden feeder. So, I shot for 2.7mm. You can of course adjust for this in your slicer. You can also drill out the nozzle a size bigger if you like.

What ABS are you using, specifically?

By the way, here's a link to a guy that ran lots of 3.0mm filament:

http://www.soliforum.com/post/16832/#p16832

I ran only a half pound or so, as I use 1.75mm filament exclusively.

I am using the ABS that came with the kit. I will try again with the filastruder at about 100" then and report back with results. As long as the diameter is consistent, then I will be a happy fellow. Thanks for your support and attentiveness Tim!