Topic: New Rostock Edition

Hey all,

Just wanted you to meet with our very new version of the Rostock... The "Rostock Boots Industries Edition"

I wish I could put an image : bit.ly/1b45RLE

Few months ago, we have decided to produce our very own printer because we needed one and for an affordable price. It also brought us a very extensive knowledge of 3D printers!

After a thorough research we felt like the Rostock was a perfect match and for several reasons:

• Complex but very affordable architecture

• Very precise on circular prints (20 Microns)

• Compact but provides a big 170 mm diameter x 155 mm height build volume

• Pretty fast --> Max: 200 mm/s

• Open source software (Repetier-Host / Marlin Firmware)

• Can print PLA, ABS, PHA, Laywood & Nylon

• Fits in a shelve

• Always a good conversation piece!

If you like it, or are new to the Rostock (Delta type) give me a shout out!

Premium 1.75mm PLA - Sealed with desiccant & 0.03 MM diameter tolerance.

Re: New Rostock Edition

Advertising a printer on some other printers forum?

Bad form.

I thought this was a 3D Printing community & the section I am using is describe as "Share any projects you are working on with us!"

Nevertheless, you have admit it's a cool project!

I noticed on an earlier post on the site you show an airtripper, but on the kit the extruder motor looks like it is on the carriage.  It's probably less problematic than a Bowden, but do you think you have to give up some speed to do that?

5 (edited by adrian 2013-07-12 15:07:42)

^^ Odd - since I've been following BootsInd's Aitripper Bowden Mods - I ended up using them for my Bowden build since I prefered the reduction of parts and the Push-Fit connectors... I know they've spent about 3 months working on this based on their Thingiverse posts... so I'd be surprised if they've dumped it...  Also, I thought Delta's relied on the weight saving amongst other things to achieve their 200mm/s ... and thus more-or-less mandated a bowden setup ?

@IanJohnson & @adrian

Indeed, we evolved our extruder from Airtripper's work, but our Rostock BI extruder motor remains side mounted, because we want to keep the mass of the delta platform low. Of course a lower mass means you have less inertia when moving the head around and that you can print at faster speed. If you have a large mass on the delta platform, fast printing may result in overshooting.

The bowden setup itself when using a teflon tube works like a charm. We've actually tried other tubing, but they all failed so teflon is pretty key.

We've just published our latest extruder version (the one used on the Rostock BI Edition) on thingiverse (thing:113127) and we are still working on it.

7 (edited by adrian 2013-07-12 15:28:46)

how did you end up at the current build-area incidentally - whats the dictating material there ? I'm seeing lots of variances in Delta builds platforms, from 150 up to the almost gi-normous (;) ) SeeMeCNC's Rostock MAX ...

I'd be keen on playing with Delta's.. but if I did, I'd be going for at least the equivalent 200x200x200 I have now - which means probably a Rostock Max...

@adrian

We can go up to 200 mm in diameter using our current frame, the limiting factor is the extruder in this case. Because of it's mounting position, the delta arms would collide with it if you were to print a 200 mm circle. As such, we limited it at 170 mm which prevents any collision under all circumstances. Of course this is a software limiting and we routinely unblock it because we know that the part we are going to print will not reach that problematic region.

We agree with you on the build volume and we are currently working on a Rostock BI V2.0 which will feature a 12 inch diameter by 12 inch height. We anticipate it will take a few months to roll out. If you have some ideas and would like to collaborate just contact us on our website. All our designs are always open source.