Topic: Nozzle Clogged How do I fix this?

My nozzle clogged while printing my first Filastruder print. I must not of allowed Filastruder to run long enough to get all the impurities out. How do I clean my nozzle without damaging it?

Re: Nozzle Clogged How do I fix this?

Assuming you mean printer nozzle, it depends completely on the printer and is an issue you'll face with professional filament as well. It only takes 1 piece of dust to clog a .3mm nozzle. I prefer .5mm nozzles. You may also want to keep a spare on hand. Welcome to the world of 3D printing!

3 (edited by notstarman 2013-07-11 17:20:18)

This is easy fix.
First warm up your extruder to you typical extrusion temp and push through some filament by hand. 
Then let your extruder cool by something like 10 degrees and pull out the filament. Ideally you are removing the blockage which is embed in the melted filament.
Cut the end of the filament off and repeat until the extruder is clear.

Thanks guys... I was able to clear the block by using .3mm rod.

A blow torch can do the trick for difficult clogs.

@9:17 or so... also shows why you keep flammable objects far away. lol

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I've also found that a Billy Mays "monkey hook" happens to fit a 1.75mm barrel almost perfectly when it's bent straight. If you're unfamiliar, it's the type of hook that is a large curved needle with a hook on the end, that you insert into drywall and it creates a mounting point. Well, instead of hanging a picture, it can be used to push plastic out of the barrel of a hotend. They also have a slight taper on the point, so when your nozzle needs a cleaning too you can use it to fish out any debris. I remember the first time my MakerGear nozzle clogged from dust (Arizona, so much dust) and I used the tip of the hook to dig out a huge glob of brown PLA that should have been red. It's a great tool to have for cleaning out nozzles.