1 (edited by notstarman 2013-07-07 01:13:26)

Topic: Question about assembly of my filstruder. SN#168

I am having problem with the mechanical assembly of my kit. I followed the kit instructions in assembly of the agar portion of the kit but I keep getting binding between the black lock collar and the front flange when the bolts are tight. If I removed the white nylon "bushing" from the assembly I can tighten the bolts and I have no binding however this leaves a far amount of travel for the agar down the barrel. Is this travel a concern if so how do I fix the problem?

I have a video showing the assembly:

Re: Question about assembly of my filstruder. SN#168

You (most likely) assembled using the wrong version of the instructions. The fact that kits with serial number 134+ use v1.1 of the instructions was posted to Kickstarter in the form of update 9, the comments section of the Kickstarter, the youtube assembly video, and the instructions download page of this forum.

More specifically, starting with SN 134 the main flange (the one the pipe screws into) goes on the other side of the main support.

This is shown very clearly in the second and third pictures in the instructions.

3 (edited by notstarman 2013-07-07 01:56:43)

I tried both arrangements and they both had issues.

However I believe the source of the problem has to do with my use of the provided washers. When you assemble the agar according to the v1.1 instructions washers are needed for both the nuts and heads of the bolts. Initially I didn't use washer on both ends. This gives you enough clearance to to prevent the locking ring from hitting the front flange which prevents binding.

Thanks for the rapid support.

I'd like to note that I also had issues when my bolts are tight, but I found out after disassembly that the grub screw on the auger collar was digging into the wood plate. I simply used a file and ground down 1-2mm of the screw that was sticking out and it works great.

jakegraber wrote:

I'd like to note that I also had issues when my bolts are tight, but I found out after disassembly that the grub screw on the auger collar was digging into the wood plate. I simply used a file and ground down 1-2mm of the screw that was sticking out and it works great.

Usually this means things aren't quite centered in the support but at any rare, I'm glad it worked out for you!