Topic: Week 3 Solidoodle II Print Challenge (glider)

Here is a glider to challenge you bed leveling and z screw adjustment.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22268

Rotate 45 degrees on the z axis and shrink to 80% and it will fit nicely.

At 0.25mm layer height or similar, the wings are only 1 layer thick and see through.

I was lucky enough to nail mine first go, using hairspray and the fan to stop the edges from peeling up. Will post a pic later.

Re: Week 3 Solidoodle II Print Challenge (glider)

Hey Lawsy, I am going to finally move over to hair spray this week... I have been to the store 25 times this month with the intention of getting some aquanet and I have forgot every time.  This pla glue water mixture is just not cutting it.  Instead, I've been painting the slurry on the glass and it is a giant ugly mess.  Anyways, are you saying the fan helps the bottom layer stick?  I was under the impression that the fan will contribute to warping and and cooling the bed which would encourage the bottom layer to come up... Anyways, I have tried this a few times, but will post once I try with aquanet.

What really causes warping is uneven cooling in a part. When One part shrinks and contracts while another is warm and expanded, the push/pull from this makes the curls we see.

Normally I would not turn on the fan until the second layer of a print, but in this case I figured that I wanted the one layer for the wings to reach its 'cooled' temperature immediately. Since the print was quite short, I didn't need to worry about not reaching max adhesion.

As for the hairspray I'm not even using Aquanet, just a generic VO5 one I confiscated from my wife.

Thanks for keeping these going. It's cool to see just how dialed in people are getting with their printers.

Watch out for me next week wink Fan Poooooower.
Oh, and myself - power brings that to a +-0 smile

So I did mine with 0.1 mm height, as per the model specs.  Although I also did mine at 60%, which I think contributed somewhat to the problem.

Clearly the platform is too close to the extruder, as it made marks in the first layer.  On the bright side, it had no issues sticking.

The biggest oddity is with the tale.  There is a very deliberate gap in my tail. (See picture).  Not sure what caused it. It doesn't show up in the gcode render.  (Using Repetier and Slic3r).

Will try flying it when it cools.

Post's attachments

photo.JPG
photo.JPG 535.96 kb, 5 downloads since 2012-10-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

That gap in the tail is very strange.

You can get rid of those marks by reducing the flow rate a little in Slic3r.

8 (edited by goofygrin 2012-10-16 02:04:04)

.3mm first layer, .1mm other layers, 20% infill.
hairspray on the bed.

Same issue in the tail.  Slic3r issue maybe?  Although I don't see it on the gcode...

http://i.imgur.com/9En1Tl.jpg

I put a little screw in the hole and it flies surprisingly well.  Before the screw it would stall out.

Perhaps you could get better results by printing the tail separately, laying it flat on the print bed.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Maybe there is trouble with retraction.  You can try adding to the Restart Distance, maybe .5  I looks like there is a moment when there isn't plastic being extruded, and then the next layers don't have anything to stick to.

Well I've printed a couple more (son loves them).  The "new layer" is starting in the middle of the tail rather than at the end if that makes sense.  So it's actually balling up the plastic causing the gap.

goofygrin wrote:

Well I've printed a couple more (son loves them).  The "new layer" is starting in the middle of the tail rather than at the end if that makes sense.  So it's actually balling up the plastic causing the gap.

Ah!

Sure you have your z-tab calibrated as fully as you can?

Yes.  I think that it might be a slic3r thing.  I'm going to try and get skeinforge setup and see if it slices it better/differently.

It's weird, I watched the extruder stepper, and it pauses at the gap, retracts, then begins printing again (slowing the speed way down in repetier helped to see this in action).  The line of the gap actually starts at the base of the tailfin.

goofygrin wrote:

Yes.  I think that it might be a slic3r thing.  I'm going to try and get skeinforge setup and see if it slices it better/differently.

It's weird, I watched the extruder stepper, and it pauses at the gap, retracts, then begins printing again (slowing the speed way down in repetier helped to see this in action).  The line of the gap actually starts at the base of the tailfin.

Quite strange. I wouldn't mind have a video of this for our records.

15 (edited by jooshs 2012-10-19 17:00:27)

Has anyone gone into the model and attempted to fill the section in solid?  Is that what is meant by a very deliberate gap?  I will try it too and see what i get.

jooshs wrote:

Has anyone gone into the model and attempted to fill the section in solid?  Is that what is meant by a very deliberate gap?  I will try it too and see what i get.

Good idea!

jooshs wrote:

Someone can try this one, I made the tail thickness .005" a side thicker (.010" overall) see if that will run through better without gaps. 

I also scaled it down to 80% and rotated it 45 so it should be able to just import and print.

Post's attachments

Bukobot_Fly_2.STL 218.15 kb, 24 downloads since 2012-10-19 

18 (edited by jooshs 2012-10-19 19:55:01)

I am about to try, but I reuploaded it since it said that model had a hole in it...

Post's attachments

BukobotFly2_fixed.stl 404.28 kb, 31 downloads since 2012-10-19 

jooshs wrote:

I am about to try, but I reuploaded it since it said that model had a hole in it...

Okay I don't get a hole when I read it back into solidworks but maybe something didn't translate well.

When I opened in slic3r it reported one.  It came out great though and flies like a champ!

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.19 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-19 

I had to get the bed height dialed in but it worked in the end.  Side note, I'm running default firmware, software, and I've never leveled the bed.  I love this machine!

Post's attachments

CameraZOOM-20121019195901406_edit0.jpg
CameraZOOM-20121019195901406_edit0.jpg 114.21 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-20 

cmetzel wrote:

I had to get the bed height dialed in but it worked in the end.  Side note, I'm running default firmware, software, and I've never leveled the bed.  I love this machine!

Perhaps Solidoodle should send an official entry...

It flies like crap!

Post's attachments

IMG_2320.JPG
IMG_2320.JPG 2.07 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-15 

IMG_2322.JPG 1.86 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-15 

MeshMoth wrote:

It flies like crap!

put a little weight on the front.

First try.
.3mm layer
200C extruder
95C bed
Pronterface/Skeinforge.

Post's attachments

Bukobot Fly.jpg
Bukobot Fly.jpg 2.36 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-15