Topic: Scale car model builder from Maryland USA

I enjoy building scale auto models and want to delve in to the world of 3D printing to build better detailed models.  Anyone else near Frederick,Maryland??

Thanks...Rick

Re: Scale car model builder from Maryland USA

RICK0212 wrote:

I enjoy building scale auto models and want to delve in to the world of 3D printing to build better detailed models.  Anyone else near Frederick,Maryland??

Thanks...Rick

I'm pretty close to Frederick. I'm actually east by 20 min.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I'm actually in Mt Airy off of Detrick Road.  We are moving to Sykesville in a few months.

I have been reading up on 3D scanning/printing for work and have wanted to purchase a system for there.  I'm a CSI and have seen where the process can be used for documenting shoe and tire impressions as well as other items.

I also wanted to make scale models of cars and trucks that are not in production by model manufacturers.  I wanted to make a 1:24 scale rescue squad truck from the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rescue Squad which is a 1961 GMC.  I was prepared to scratch build it but along came the 3D scanning/printing and I shelved my ideas until I could catch up on how to do the 3D.

I have located several 1:1 trucks which would cover making the cab of the truck.  The box of it should be fairly simple to fab.

Gotta get back to work.....thanks...Rick

Post's attachments

R19.bmp 1.15 mb, 4 downloads since 2013-07-02 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

If you have access to the 'real thing', then AutoDesk's 123d-Catch can help build at least a basic model that will then need some cleaning up, but should get you 90% of the way there.. You'll just need to take a series of pics around the object..

http://www.123dapp.com/catch

Rick wrote:

I'm actually in Mt Airy off of Detrick Road.  We are moving to Sykesville in a few months.

I actually went to Mt. Airy elementary and Mt. Airy Middle school way back when (not that I am old).  I live in Union Bridge now. High tech redneck should be my screen name really.  I want to start a Frederick/Mt. Airy hackerspace/maker space. I have only kind of looked for space for rent.

adrian wrote:

If you have access to the 'real thing', then AutoDesk's 123d-Catch can help build at least a basic model that will then need some cleaning up, but should get you 90% of the way there.. You'll just need to take a series of pics around the object..

http://www.123dapp.com/catch

+1 This works great when you can take a LOT of photos.

Make sure you post your projects here. It will be awesome to see how things are progressing.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.