1 (edited by Hunter Green 2013-11-14 14:26:27)

Topic: Tools and supplies you're going to need with your Solidoodle

I haven't found a list like this on any of the wikis or in the forum, so let's start one.  Probably this will just lead to me being told where the list already is, but if so, great, then I'll know.  Otherwise, contribute your ideas and I'll add them to this post until we have a nice thorough list.  I bet there's a lot I don't have (goodness knows every time I try to do anything I haven't done before, there's a trip to the hardware store involved).

This is the stuff that, when you order the Solidoodle, you should start to gather because eventually someone's going to tell you you will need it.  Some of it more obvious than others.  Some you already have, but I bet you don't have all of it, unless you've been in this game a while.

• More filament, in more colors

• A plastic paint scraper (for removing prints from the print bed)

• Pieces of glass or ceramic, cut 6"x6" for SD1 and SD2, 8"x8" for SD3 (for printing on)

• Hairspray (preferably AquaNet unscented) (to help your prints hold and not curl)

• Glass cleaner (to clean the glass; some people prefer acetone/ABS solutions or other things)

• Sheets of plexiglas cut to the size of the sides (to make an enclosure)

• A set of digital calipers precise to 0.1mm or better (0.01mm preferred) (for measuring filament and other things)

• A set of hex wrenches in sizes 1.5-5mm {example} (for adjusting belts, cleaning out the extruder, adjusting the Z height, etc.)

• A 5/16-18 nut (for the Z axis anti-backlash)

• One or more small fans to attach to the motherboard  {example} (for cooling the circuit)

• A set of files (for filing down supports and other gunk on your prints)

• A sharp knife like an X-Acto (for cutting away supports and other gunk)

• A digital multimeter (for diagnosis of problems)

• Acetone (for dissolving ABS and smoothing prints)

• An old paint can, canning pot, or other large metal container (for acetone vapor baths)

• A relatively airtight box big enough to store your filament (to keep it safe from humidity)

• An anti-humidity solution for inside the box (bags of rice, dessicant packets, a GoldenRod, etc.) (because the above isn't good enough)

• Possibly a hygrometer {example} (to measure humidity)

• An E string from a guitar or violin (for unclogging the hot end)

• Kapton tape {example} (for replacing existing tape and affixing things)

• An old toothbrush (for cleaning out the extruder)

• White lithium grease (for greasing rods)

• Blue painter's tape (for printing on with PLA)

• A 5.5mm socket for a driver (for removing the hot end)

• A dial indicator {example} (for measuring backlash)

• Some strong magnets {example} (for mounting the dial indicator)

• Spare hot ends, printer beds, extruder assemblies, etc. (some of these can be partially printed, or replaced with better equipment) (for the inevitable failures)

Re: Tools and supplies you're going to need with your Solidoodle

Got almost all of it. Except for the guitar string. I think that method of "unclogging" will really only lead to more problems in the future. I think it only temporarily moves a clog and when it happens again will be bigger than before. Plus, anything that is harder than the brass has a chance of deforming the hole which messes with your prints and calibrations. I tend to err on the side of caution and just remove the nozzle and soak in acetone to let the clog dissolve without being destructive.  Plus you end up with shiny new parts after you are done.

I digress,
A couple things missing from the list:

• Spare stepper motor drivers (A4988 are <$10 but will cause serious heartache if you don't have extras)

• Spare connectors or replacement connectors for 20, 24, and 26AWG wire

• Small gauge wire for adding more fans

• Soldering tools are recommended since most electronics are cheaper when you solder on your own headers

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Added a few more items for the dial indicator used to deal with backlash measurements.  Thanks to IanJohnson for the tips.

Aqua net unscented? I find the "fresh scent version" takes care of that melted plastic smell smile

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

I was told the unscented stuck better, or left less residue, or something.  I don't even remember why now!

Hunter Green wrote:

I haven't found a list like this on any of the wikis or in the forum, so let's start one.  Probably this will just lead to me being told where the list already is, but if so, great, then I'll know.  Otherwise, contribute your ideas and I'll add them to this post until we have a nice thorough list.  I bet there's a lot I don't have (goodness knows every time I try to do anything I haven't done before, there's a trip to the hardware store involved).

This is the stuff that, when you order the Solidoodle, you should start to gather because eventually someone's going to tell you you will need it.  Some of it more obvious than others.  Some you already have, but I bet you don't have all of it, unless you've been in this game a while.

• More filament, in more colors

• A plastic paint scraper (for removing prints from the print bed)

• Pieces of glass or ceramic, cut 6"x6" for SD1 and SD2, 8"x8" for SD3 (for printing on)

• Hairspray (preferably AquaNet unscented) (to help your prints hold and not curl)

• Glass cleaner (to clean the glass; some people prefer acetone/ABS solutions or other things)

• Sheets of plexiglas cut to the size of the sides (to make an enclosure)

• A set of digital calipers precise to 0.1mm or better (0.01mm preferred) (for measuring filament and other things)

• A set of hex wrenches in sizes 1.5-5mm {example} (for adjusting belts, cleaning out the extruder, adjusting the Z height, etc.)

• A 5/16-18 nut (for the Z axis anti-backlash)

• One or more small fans to attach to the motherboard  {example} (for cooling the circuit)

• A set of files (for filing down supports and other gunk on your prints)

• A sharp knife like an X-Acto (for cutting away supports and other gunk)

• A digital multimeter (for diagnosis of problems)

• Acetone (for dissolving ABS and smoothing prints)

• An old paint can, canning pot, or other large metal container (for acetone vapor baths)

• A relatively airtight box big enough to store your filament (to keep it safe from humidity)

• An anti-humidity solution for inside the box (bags of rice, dessicant packets, a GoldenRod, etc.) (because the above isn't good enough)

• Possibly a hygrometer {example} (to measure humidity)

• An E string from a guitar or violin (for unclogging the hot end)

• An old toothbrush (for cleaning out the extruder)

• White lithium grease (for greasing rods)

• Blue painter's tape (for printing on with PLA)

• A 5.5mm socket for a driver (for removing the hot end)

• A dial indicator {example} (for measuring backlash)

• Some strong magnets {example} (for mounting the dial indicator)

• Spare hot ends, printer beds, extruder assemblies, etc. (some of these can be partially printed, or replaced with better equipment) (for the inevitable failures)

Think people would like to buy an advanced tool kit? What would you put in it (realistically?)

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

A plastic paint scraper (for removing prints from the print bed)
Glass cleaner (novelty addition - you can even brand it with your own label)
A set of hex wrenches in sizes 1.5-5mm {example} (for adjusting belts, cleaning out the extruder, adjusting the Z height, etc.)
A set of files (for filing down supports and other gunk on your prints)
A sharp knife like an X-Acto (for cutting away supports and other gunk)
An E string from a guitar or violin
lithium grease (in a small pot to get you going)
A 5.5mm socket for a driver (or crescent spanner as I know they are cheaper to acquire)

This is the list of what I can see in a commercially offered kit from a vendor perspective. Throw it into a cheap vinyl zip case with elastic retainers...

Things like a DMM would be nice additions, but I appreciate that goes against the grain of 'turn key' printing.. but everything above is a reasonable need without sending a 'you need to be hands on' type alarm bell...

unless you plan to print yodas all day long, I also use a metric precision drill set and a tap and die set. One nice thing about plastic is that the cheap Chinese ones will still last forever!

Works much better than a puddy knife
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NP … &psc=1

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

10 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-07-23 05:33:27)

adrian wrote:

A plastic paint scraper (for removing prints from the print bed)
Glass cleaner (novelty addition - you can even brand it with your own label)
A set of hex wrenches in sizes 1.5-5mm {example} (for adjusting belts, cleaning out the extruder, adjusting the Z height, etc.)
A set of files (for filing down supports and other gunk on your prints)
A sharp knife like an X-Acto (for cutting away supports and other gunk)
An E string from a guitar or violin
lithium grease (in a small pot to get you going)
A 5.5mm socket for a driver (or crescent spanner as I know they are cheaper to acquire)

This is the list of what I can see in a commercially offered kit from a vendor perspective. Throw it into a cheap vinyl zip case with elastic retainers...

Things like a DMM would be nice additions, but I appreciate that goes against the grain of 'turn key' printing.. but everything above is a reasonable need without sending a 'you need to be hands on' type alarm bell...

+1

I would say all of the above plus any tools that you show in your how-to videos. like tweezers with grooves. Also, a dozen or so of every size M3 screw and nut that you use on the machine as well as a couple MTA-100 connectors. It would be the repair kit.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Hi
I am interested in the use of [ A 5/16-18 nut (for the Z axis anti-backlash)]
Is there no nut there now, or this is a hack/mod/upgrade thing?

Thanks
Wayne

WWC wrote:

Hi
I am interested in the use of [ A 5/16-18 nut (for the Z axis anti-backlash)]
Is there no nut there now, or this is a hack/mod/upgrade thing?

Thanks
Wayne

This is the one I used.  There are many other options for addressing Z-axis backlash, though.  This is just the one I got directed to and used.

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:40675

Quick question I think I've finally narrowed down my 3d printer to a solidoodle (price and this forum being key factors) and in line with this post I was wondering what replacement parts I should order with it in conjunction with the printer. For example from what I'm reading I should get at least a hot end, however would it be better to buy the whole extruder assembly or just print my own as soon as I get it calibrated? Anything else? I would rather just pay one shipping fee this time as well as not have the printer down for weeks while I wait on a replacement part. Thanks for the help guys

Hold your money. One thing people here do a lot is upgrade their hotend. It would be a shame to buy a spare that you never use. I dont think hotend problems are the norm.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Yeah, there's too many parts that could fail to try to order them now without wasting way more money than you'll save.  Spares are really more in case you have to have the printer running all the time and can't wait through downtime because, say, you're using this in a business or something.  Besides which, odds are before long you'll be thinking of replacing the key failure point parts with different equipment anyway.

drillbit wrote:

Quick question I think I've finally narrowed down my 3d printer to a solidoodle (price and this forum being key factors) and in line with this post I was wondering what replacement parts I should order with it in conjunction with the printer. For example from what I'm reading I should get at least a hot end, however would it be better to buy the whole extruder assembly or just print my own as soon as I get it calibrated? Anything else? I would rather just pay one shipping fee this time as well as not have the printer down for weeks while I wait on a replacement part. Thanks for the help guys

Check out this post - it helped me a lot.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2689/thi … e-you-buy/

Thanks guys I appreciate it

Added kapton tape to the list.

I use this evil little guy for print cleaning and separation from the bed:

Red Devil 7-In-1 Multi-Purpose Painter's Tool

I got mine from Home Depot for ~10$.

There were 3 sizes, and some of the blades were thicker than others- I made sure to get a thin, sharp, sturdy one. It works great for picking out grooves, edging parts, and getting the support off the model (as well as pulling it off the bed like a champ).

Post's attachments

scraper thing.jpg
scraper thing.jpg 113.14 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

20 (edited by DigitalWhitewater 2013-10-02 01:18:24)

elussya wrote:

You can also do a thingiverse search for "scraper" and then print your own tool and spend pennies instead of $10.
You can just keep printing new ones as needed. This is one i like to print a couple of at a time and use them, i like it's breakaway sacrificial blade edge. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34502

SD2 w/ mods: Rumba controller, ATX PSU, SD pro case, glass bed, with more to come...

DigitalWhitewater wrote:
elussya wrote:

You can also do a thingiverse search for "scraper" and then print your own tool and spend pennies instead of $10.
You can just keep printing new ones as needed. This is one i like to print a couple of at a time and use them, i like it's breakaway sacrificial blade edge.

Fair enough- I just prefer the rigidity, and fact that I can really scrape the supports off *cue shrug*

Plus I throw enough plastic out on supports, and skirts, or occasional bad prints. Seems a shame to do so periodically when a tool that is almost knife-sharp and has lasted me 6+ months so far was only $10. My only wish on the scraper that I use would be if the sharp angled point had a soft-ish curve instead of the sharp angling on its' side.

bump for new users

SD3 w/ mods: