Topic: Stratasys buys out MakerBot. Still safe to use Thingiverse?

What the title says: 3d printing giant Stratasys has acquired makerbot for 600 million dollars. what does this mean for the home printer industry as a whole, and what should we do with thingiverse? are there any non-evil-megacorp owned alternatives?

Re: Stratasys buys out MakerBot. Still safe to use Thingiverse?

According to Bre Pettis, nothing nada zip. "Nothing is changing with Thingiverse" is a direct tweet-quote. Move along now, nothing to see here (just like Dec last year).

And I'd hardly consider the people (Stratsys) who invented FDM (Fused Deposition Modelling, What our printer does) as being 'evil-megacorp'.. They just focused on the Commercial (where until a few years ago the market was) aspects rather than going for a home-brew piecemeal kit. Now that the two strategies are meeting in the middle, quick acquisition of MBI for their 'goodwill' (*cough*) and 'brand awareness' and voila, you can bother meddling with the home market now it potentially has value.

Particularly since Stratsys bought MBI not for the tech, not for any patents, but for the community and brand name. You really think they plan to flutter their $403 Million away given its all for the Community and Name?? wink

i dont know man. whens the last time you saw a large company do a smart thing instead of a profitable thing?

im willing to bet that the new models makerbot comes out with will feature "new and improved proprietary filament cartridge system for trouble free printing. only $100 per .5kg cartridge!"

or something equally stupid.

i mean seriously, this companies cheapest printer was $10,000, and makerbots, and our solidoodles can print nicer things than it can. you tell me their accountants wont see a way to make more money off makerbots... even if they already are priced out of the range of most hobbyist?

The analysis article I read intimated that they had a firm hold on the professional segment of the market but zero on the home/desktop/DIY market.

Easier just to buy Makerbot rather than design and bring a new competitor to the market.

By buying Makerbot and doing nothing, they now have the market share they wanted, so their is little incentive to change the way Makerbot operates.

5 (edited by adrian 2013-06-30 13:40:15)

dkeeling728 wrote:

i dont know man. whens the last time you saw a large company do a smart thing instead of a profitable thing?

The other week reading Googles latest R&D exercises. Next? wink
Why the assumed cynicism about a company you've never had any interactions with ? Sounds like an average way to move through life assuming every corporation is evil big_smile big_smile

As earlier stated, all evidence and public statements would appear to make your original question moot... thingiverse won't change has been the statements to date. If you disbelieve them or want to enter into some 'crystal ball gazing', then sure, but that means its a departure from dealing with the fact as presented at the moment...

Interesting philosophical discussion none-the-less smile

I don't think it makes any sense for them to mess with thingiverse or anything else related to the "brand equity" of what they purchased.  The economics of the deal (for the acquirer) probably lies in what they see as a growing segment of businesses that are buying/building open-sourced designs for real business needs.  If I were Stratasys, I would want a toe-hold in that part of the market so that I could eventually upsell or otherwise migrate those businesses to higher end products, once they become larger.  Messing with previously open-sourced efforts would only risk damaging that brand equity.  A parallel situation might be probably Oracle's purchase of MySQL/OpenOffice ...

Matt

bah. you guys are no fun. i try to start some foil hat conspiracy BS and you come back with sound logic.

anyway, its probably not an issue for now. something to keep our eyes on though. what with all the open ended copyright questions and the "OMG 3D PRINTERS MAKE GUNS!" politicians running around. any move that puts a large segment of the community under the control of a single large entity is potentially troublesome. if not now, then in the future.

@dkeeling728 : well, just because some logic can be applied doesn't mean your conspiracy theory is wrong.  Your tin foil hat is safe wink

dkeeling728 wrote:

im willing to bet that the new models makerbot comes out with will feature "new and improved proprietary filament cartridge system for trouble free printing. only $100 per .5kg cartridge!"

or something equally stupid.

i mean seriously, this companies cheapest printer was $10,000, and makerbots, and our solidoodles can print nicer things than it can. you tell me their accountants wont see a way to make more money off makerbots... even if they already are priced out of the range of most hobbyist?

Right with you there!  This would be a standard HP / InkJet Cartridge strategy.  The money is in the ink!  Now that they acquired the market share, I would be very surprised if they did NOT do this...for the cartridge strategy to work, improved hardware and features would need to be very compelling.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

10 (edited by Physibles 2013-07-19 05:10:50)

We have opened Fabster.com an open free community that is totally independent of all printing companies and joined by some of the biggest names in the industry. We are also behind "3d Printing and Physibles" the largest 3d printing facebook group.

Physibles wrote:

We have opened Fabster.com an open free community that is totally independent of all printing companies and joined by some of the biggest names in the industry. We are also behind "3d Printing and Physibles" the largest 3d printing facebook group.

Works for me! +1