Topic: Solidoodle stops mid print/after a couple of layers

Hi!

So i got my solidoodle printer in this week and couldn't wait to hook it up... installed all the software, did a couple of tiny test prints which came out fine, I printed the head of the tardis transformer from thingiverse and a tooth paste clamp thingy... everything worked fine...

so today i wanted to print the rest of the tardis transformer and a couple of other things... so i put them in repetier, slic3d them up... and started the printer up (196 degrees for the extruder, 90 degrees for the bed) just like i have done the day before...

At first the printer does what it is supposed to, but after a few layers it just stopped... the extruder and the heat bed were still hot and the repetier software didn't give any error as to why it stopped... it just stopped....

So i rebooted the whole thing tried again, same result but this time i wasn't after a few layers but it was almost at the end... so i thought maybe the file was corrupt... so i tried a iron man helmet file from thingiverse.... but same problem... after a couple of layers it just stops without any hint as to what is wrong...

After it stops the software is still functional but the printer doens't respond anymore unless i replug the usb kabel and reconnect on repetier...

So i reinstalled al the software, rechecked if al the cables where still connected and what not.... but nothing changed... i have done 9 runs today on two computers and al of them stopped somewhere randomly mid print... even tried a tiny sample but it wouldn't go further than 1 layer :S

Does anyone know what could be wrong/have a sollution/know where i can find an answer/experienced this him/herself?

Post's attachments

2013-06-28 15.44.38.jpg
2013-06-28 15.44.38.jpg 2.23 mb, 2 downloads since 2013-06-28 

2013-06-28 15.45.56.jpg
2013-06-28 15.45.56.jpg 1.79 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Solidoodle stops mid print/after a couple of layers

It sounds like a communication issue. Do you have a screen saver or other power options set? I have all of my power saving features off and no screen saver. This can cause some communication interference sometimes.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

I had the same issue last night.  Never happened before upgrading to RH .90

I had to restart entire laptop to get it working again.

Also just noticed there is a RH .90B out today.  Will try and upgrade and see if it happens again.

Another possibility is that you have something else on your USB bus that is causing a short or brief interruption. My Cannon DSLR froze a print when I plugged it in before. It shouldn't happen but you never know.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

2n2r5 wrote:

Another possibility is that you have something else on your USB bus that is causing a short or brief interruption. My Cannon DSLR froze a print when I plugged it in before. It shouldn't happen but you never know.

I have a dedicated Laptop that only has OS (WIN 8) + RH on it and have not had any problems in the past few months.

Could have just been a fluke for me or a windows update that screwed something up. 

Hasn't happend again since last night - keeping fingers crossed.

6 (edited by IamIamI 2013-06-28 18:49:13)

Well i did have the old energy saving options on this morning... but after try 3 i shut everything off so after the 3rd try that couldn't have been the reason it stopped... also the last run i did on this laptop didn't even finish the first layer... i just printed for 5 seconds and stopped :S

I'll try deleting everything again and this time really try to make sure everything is 100% gone... it's probably an problem with the USB drivers because the printer itself works (although for a short while) and the point where it stops is totally random so i don't think its a slice problem...

I was sometimes getting this same issue. Pissed me off big time, and like you, it wasn't consistently at the same point on a print.
I put a cooling fan on the electronics, upgraded Sli3er etc, and the issue remained (but hard to spot as it wasn't happening all the time). For me the bed and extruder seemed to turn off, but that was what I had as the default "finish" condition on prints, so maybe that is why mine went off when it was "sh#%ing itself".
I decided to try Kisslicer, and so far I've had no prints stop mid print since using it. It may be an issue with bad G code being written by sli3er??? But can't confirm this unequivocally.
I was worried that the extruder might one day stay on, causing a clog from hell, but touch wood that hasn't happened yet.

Oh, and make sure you're running microsoft .net framework 3.5

9 (edited by Cwalster 2013-07-01 23:15:18)

Are there any large appliances on the same circuit? Took me about a week to realize that my window AC unit caused enough voltage drop when the compressor kicks in to shut the printer off for a split second. Short enough that the printer could recover, but the host on the computer would freak out.

Now I get to fry whenever printing.

Cwalster wrote:

Are there any large appliances on the same circuit? Took me about a week to realize that my window AC unit caused enough voltage drop when the compressor kicks in to shut the printer off for a split second. Short enough that the printer could recover, but the host on the computer would freak out.

Now I get to fry whenever printing.

just put the printer on a UPS backup. it should be anyway unless you never have summer popup thunderstorms or other short power interruptions where you live. hehe

my UPS has saved 2 prints in the month ive had the printer. both 25 second mini-blackouts that would have royally pissed me off 4 hours into a 6 hour print. haha.

11 (edited by downeym 2013-07-03 15:39:19)

2n2r5 wrote:

I had this same problem, but with a logitech webcam. removing it from the USB bus solved my lockup problem.

+1 on the UPS... my lessons learned are to have the printer on a dedicated computer and a UPS. Turn off all power savings. Turn off all automatic windows updating... minimize the number of processes running.

I know this is old but did anyone figure anything out? I've got the same problems as the op and have tried all the usual suspects to no avail.

ccomito1223 wrote:

I know this is old but did anyone figure anything out? I've got the same problems as the op and have tried all the usual suspects to no avail.

I did read another thread that suggested the baud rate might be off. I checked my settings and both computers were different and not set to 250000. I'm testing now to see if it's a fix.

ccomito1223 wrote:
ccomito1223 wrote:

I did read another thread that suggested the baud rate might be off. I checked my settings and both computers were different and not set to 250000. I'm testing now to see if it's a fix.

The older SD printers had to have 250k baud the new ones with the printrboard main board  will work with any baud.

ronsii wrote:
ccomito1223 wrote:
ccomito1223 wrote:

The older SD printers had to have 250k baud the new ones with the printrboard main board  will work with any baud.

That may be the case however it didn't work for me.  I set it to 250k and it quit printing after a small circle... I'm so frustrated.

Tough one ccomito. At very least keep eliminating the easy stuff. Try different USB cable, port on your computer. Could be bad power too: outlet, cable, psu, surge protector, etc.

Loose connections. Hope it's not your board.

Will be interested to hear what finally solves your issue.

Briggs wrote:

Tough one ccomito. At very least keep eliminating the easy stuff. Try different USB cable, port on your computer. Could be bad power too: outlet, cable, psu, surge protector, etc.

Loose connections. Hope it's not your board.

Will be interested to hear what finally solves your issue.

So last night I grabbed a 50ft extension cord from the garage and plugged in the printer to an outlet in my back room. So far I've ran 3 prints and rather large ones. I'm hoping its only a power issue. I'm running a 4 hour print now so we'll see how that goes. So far so good, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

Bad power is an issue no matter where you live, and it ranges from brown outs to loose connections in your outlets, bad cords, etc.  Like downeym, I too learned my lesson and now use a ups, mine is an apc xs1500.  It won't let me print without power for very long, but that's not the point, it just needs to bridge the tiny moments of power loss. Glad you got to the heart of the problem.

Ok, so many months on. Brand new PC and it did it again. I have so much scrap ABS it's not funny. would cutting the usb power track (I read about this hack somewhere), possibly help. Or is there a buffer setting in case the usb port hangs for a period of time?

Same problem definitely power usage related.  I had a wood router running
Today from same outlet and was running it hard.  Took me 3 tries to realise it was causing power surge inside with my printer, seems doesn't and much to impact it.

I have 230v supply so never would have thought this was issue

Your printer may be shaking so much at some point it disrupts the powercord. The cords are designed to sit extremely loose on the Solidoodle for unknown reasons, I use a rubberband between the USB and powercord to force it in place. Before it would loose power just from strong winds in the room... Now I can practically juggle the whole thing and it still goes strong.

I purchased my Solidoodle 3 a little over 7 months ago. It was working great until about a month ago. I used to be able to do long prints (10 hrs +), but all of a sudden the Solidoodle would stop printing in the middle of a print. I have isolated the USB, and have not installed any new firmware since buying the Solidoodle.

While testing the Solidoodle I barely got a few minutes before the print stopped. I included the log incase it may help, but there are no error being reported so I am not sure what is the cause. For this last print I did not see any power skipping, and the computer did not go to sleep.

Post's attachments

Solidoodle Log.docx 37.87 kb, 2 downloads since 2014-07-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Sometimes other things turning on or off that are connected to the same power strip or circuit can interrupt it.  One person even reported that turning on a certain light switch would make his printer stop.  I used to have a desk fan behind the printer to cool the electronics on hot days, and turning it on after a print started would make it stop.  Is there anything like that going on?

I have a craft light with a circular flourescent tube and a large central magnifying lens near my SD4.  I discovered that turning the light on or off during a print had about a 50/50 chance of immediately locking up the printer.  I'm sure this was due to the high voltage of the ballast. 

I yanked out the ballast and tube, and replaced them with LED lighting.  No problems since.

Suddenly the last 2 days my most recently purchased Solidoodle 3 is REGULARLY stopping midway thru the first layer. These are gcodes I've used for months in the exact same setup with a dedicated laptop. I can STOP the print and ZERO the printhead, but I am no longer able to manually control its position. Clearly seems like a communication problem.