Topic: Kickstarter Project Using the Solidoodle for Printing Parts

Hey everyone!  The moment has finally come where I can use my Solidoodle for the project I purchased it for... I've talked to a lot of you on here before and would love any feedback, support, or suggestions on my kickstarter project.  I really value the great discussions and fun interactive community of intelligent guys on here!  I just launched and it is doing pretty well already, however I asked for a goal on the low side because of the all or nothing deal they have.  I could really use for this project to be overfunded and for the final product to be awesome... I know Brad was talking about making a forum for projects utilizing the Solidoodle and hopefully this will help get the ball rolling on that.  Take a look, let me know, and please help share the word with anyone you think might be interested...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/742 … ?ref=email

Also I'd like to offer a certain kind of special deal to anyone who is a member on soliforum and a backer, but I'm not sure if it is ok or how that can be accomplished... if anyone knows the answer to that, I am all ears.  Thanks again!

Re: Kickstarter Project Using the Solidoodle for Printing Parts

Color me impressed!!   Nice job!

That is nice! I like this! You really did go low on that goal. Forgive my ignorance but, did you obtain a patent of your invention? Or anything close to it?

...sativas are for smoking!

No, you know this is my first project that I have looked for backing this way and I had no idea what to expect.  I've always sought funding with cold calling and don't have time for that now. I had no idea how to gauge the interest level and the all or nothing deal kickstarter really scared me.  I really need at least 3 or 4 times that much and would like a lot more, but thought this would be a good start. I have also acquired a couple of small outside resources.  I really love working on these things and would have a blast creating a startup based on products like this. I have been talking to a few lawyers about advice on patenting it and would like to pursue it based on the funding I get, but hopefully it won't be too late!  I tried sharing much less information, but kickstarter wouldn't let it launch without more details...  Anyways, definitely appreciate the feedback!

I'm not getting any sound on the video, don't know if that's just me or it was done that way.  I would at least add a backing track.  Also for what it's worth the ones that seem to go crazy all have a higher production level video, maybe rethink it if you don't get interest. 

It'll be tricky given what you have said already about not being protected, you'd want to get some press or buzz going but at the same time if the wrong people see it they will just copy it and put you out of business.  I would at least file a provisional patent to cover yourself at the most basic level since you're putting it out there for all to see.

Appreciate the advice. I am definitely looking into the provisional patent. The big overall picture is that I am trying to get this project funded to make it and if other people want one or the other rewards its great!  With the funding and previous funding I've been slowly building my own robotics manufacturing lab. The next project that I would spin off this will be to finish building a robotics lab and offer the small line up of robots I've built as rewards. I'm on a big time crunch for this project and it is the first video I ever attempted to make. One of my best friends is a professional videographer and he will be helping me make future videos for this and other projects. I didn't love the video, but it took me a night to make and I scrapped together iPhone  footage i never intended to share from the last 6 months to put it together. But your right the quality isn't there on the video. Reminds me of solidoodles first promo video before they blew up in April and May. smile

7 (edited by Jon 2012-10-14 02:00:48)

When I first saw your kickstarter post, I laughed.  I thought it was a preposterous looking device.  Then I watched your video.  Then I called a couple of my coworkers over to see the video.  We were all delighted and impressed with your achievement.  I have a quadcopter, so I'm all too familiar with the difficulty of maneuvering in tight spaces.  I can see how having a transition to driving could be useful for certain applications.

As a fellow former citizen of the brickyard who was drawn to the university for my computer engineering degree specifically to get into robotics, I applaud you and will be contributing to the cause this weekend.

Thanks a lot Jon. It is funny, I built two or three copters this size just to practice flying with this weight and size.  The first few test runs on the first prototype with this were terrifying cause I funded it mostly myself and there weren't backups. I just imagined my 2 grand crashing to the ground, with my family behind me wondering if I was going to crash our utility bills along with it. Really an amazing experience!  I dropped my transmitter the first time it took off real well and thank goodness I wasn't in acrobat mode. The ground threw the throttle up and thing just took off like a bat out of hell. I gained control and was able to maneuver it great. If that didn't happen I'm not sure I ever would've got over my fear of really flying it.

I'd love to see a video of the transition between flying and rolling, even if it's just shared here on the forum.

Solidoodle is very proud of this project, and we have contributed to the fund. Please let us know how this turns out - it looks awesome.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Put $10 your way, congratulations on getting your project up and running, it looks great.

Thanks all for the support and feedback! Please keep it coming. I am in talks to get a provisional patent now, so I am really trying to network to up the backing and get advice on any design changes.  I am kind of walking a tightrope of trying to share enough to generate support and not so much to give everything away.

@Cmetzel I have a lot more detailed and zoomed video I would love to share, but I think I am going to wait just a little bit longer. Depending on progress, I hope to be able to share more in the near future. As someone completely unfamiliar with how all this works, I am just following the best advice I can get.

Josh!
We are very glad your kickstarter went well. We are looking forward to seeing more from you in the future, as well as other cool projects from the rest of the Solidoodle community.

jooshs wrote:

@Cmetzel I have a lot more detailed and zoomed video I would love to share, but I think I am going to wait just a little bit longer. Depending on progress, I hope to be able to share more in the near future. As someone completely unfamiliar with how all this works, I am just following the best advice I can get.

Cool can't wait, I understand your hesitation at the moment.

I filed for my provisional patent so I should be able to share more soon.

How much is a provisional patent these days, if you used a lawyer how much did that run.  I've got some inventions in the later stages of prototyping that I'll be patenting soon.

Yes do tell and also which website/service you used.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

I spent $200 for advice and filing. Since I had everything documented really well, it didn't take much time and was easy to do. I think lawyers may charge a lot.

http://www.uspto.gov/patents/resources/ … rovapp.jsp

The only concerning part was that it stipulates it can't be used for design inventions, but I was assured this doesn't fall into this category.

For anybody that is interested, I have now added an entire CAD package for the RObot, plus a complete build manual, and a complete bill of materials to the kickstarter rewards.

jooshs wrote:

For anybody that is interested, I have now added an entire CAD package for the RObot, plus a complete build manual, and a complete bill of materials to the kickstarter rewards.

Very nice.

love the model. so want to print a quadcopter when 'doodle arrives this week hopefully..

I was wondering how you are finding the experience of using kickstarter ?
I considered it a few weeks ago for just a small project and looked into reviews of kickstarter itself, all where a bit vague, seeming to imply a lot of work for smaller projects but possible great rewards for larger ones.
I would guess you are pretty positive about it. smile
looks like its working for you.

I'll be printing my second custom one today! I have about 5 of them laying around now, but nothing like designing and printing your own. I'm making a water proof one this time since it seems to rain about every day here...

I think the experience is all relative...  I almost gave up on launching because it was a decent bit of work to get this going, but I had so much documentation that it wasn't terrible.  I guess it is all relative on what you think is small.  I am using this mostly to fund my own project and offering rewards that others might be interested in.  Mostly it is a good way to build experience and credibility on kickstarter so when I launch a larger project, hopefully it will look like I know what I am doing. 

In retrospect, I needed to ask for money.  They say that usually it funds or it doesn't and it is based more on interest level rather than amount of money asked.  You don't see very many fail at 85% funded and unless you are selling a great product you don't see a ton funding 800-900%.  If your project is to support something your trying to do, people slow way down on funding once the goal is reached. I guess what I am trying to say is think long and hard about how much you are asking for. 

All that being said, it has been really amazing!  People I know helped get the ball rolling for the first half day, but most of the interest and funding otherwise has been from online searches and the project spreading through communities like this.  As a reference, I didn't do a ton of social networking and my video has almost 5000 views on it.  The coolest part has been the amount of good contacts I have made from private messages on the project.  Lots of great ideas, requests to work on other projects, encouragement, and offers for help in other ways.

cool, thanks for the feedback, appreciated.
I guess the best way to show my appreciation is to back you smile

I think i will give kickstarter a try later, I have some handheld electronics (my field) that could be sold stand alone, in a printed ABS case or CNC milled out of aluminium, brass, steel or even titanium. I am not sure how much machining titanium costs at this point .. my guess is not cheap. Gives me a few targets for people to buy in though, from $20 or so up to a few hundred.
So I guess I would be looking for 10k+, the great part about the 3d printing field is how easy it is to step up to metal once all the modelling work is done.
I think I will have no problems selling a few hundred anyway. Sold a hundred of my last unit via forums and getting some chinese mass production quotes done currently.

24 (edited by jooshs 2012-10-20 14:30:50)

All help is appreciated!  smile  I think the more backers you have, the more you get. It's kind of like a snowball effect. I am all about hand held electronic devices.  $10k seems like it might be a nice sweet spot.  They lay around my office like toys in a kids play room. Let me know if you have any other questions about the process. Ill be going through the wrap up procedure this week. Make sure to keep posted on when you expect to launch.

I think it would be nice if we could have a way to have private threads or something similar to bounce design ideas off each other without fear of them getting stolen. I guess it would be easy enough to send pms but it would be nice to have a section for invite only projects that are confidential but easy to share.

jooshs wrote:

All help is appreciated!  smile  I think the more backers you have, the more you get. It's kind of like a snowball effect. I am all about hand held electronic devices.  $10k seems like it might be a nice sweet spot.  They lay around my office like toys in a kids play room. Let me know if you have any other questions about the process. Ill be going through the wrap up procedure this week. Make sure to keep posted on when you expect to launch.

I think it would be nice if we could have a way to have private threads or something similar to bounce design ideas off each other without fear of them getting stolen. I guess it would be easy enough to send pms but it would be nice to have a section for invite only projects that are confidential but easy to share.

I just want to say that Solidoodle is always willing to post great kick starter projects on its front page to better promote them. We want Solidoodle projects to succeed!