1 (edited by jesse 2013-06-25 02:04:58)

Topic: Output improvements?

My filastruder produces about 1 ounce (28.3 grams) of ABS filament per hour.

That amount is fine for my personal use but not enough to sell (1 kg is 35.3 ounces).

Are there any upgrades that can be done to increase the production rate?

One idea would be to bump up the heat and add a more powerful motor system.

Re: Output improvements?

Sure, you can up the temperature. What temperature have you been extruding at? You may need to redrill the nozzle a size bigger to  make up for it.

A new motor is in the works - I have one I've put about 200 hours on so far, it roughly doubles the output rate.

3 (edited by Nimikin 2013-06-25 03:53:17)

Quieter, and faster? Makes me want one in my kit
Edited:
This was cut off, it was also supposed to say :(jk) mostly, how are the tolerance holding up?
(I think it was the wink emoticon from my iPad, lesson learned)

Nimikin wrote:

Soon. smile Everything has to be throughly tested!

Hello Tim,
Any ETA or price in mind yet?
If its a week away or so, id rather pay the extra to have the quieter/faster motor if possible please?

reesy wrote:

Hello Tim,
Any ETA or price in mind yet?
If its a week away or so, id rather pay the extra to have the quieter/faster motor if possible please?

It won't happen for the Kickstarter kits - the lead time is far too long. It will be a direct swap though, and i'm working out a way to reward Kickstarter backers... we'll see.

Nimikin wrote:

Edited:
This was cut off, it was also supposed to say :(jk) mostly, how are the tolerance holding up?
(I think it was the wink emoticon from my iPad, lesson learned)

Tolerances are largely unchanged - it's not fast enough to encounter melt fracture/unstable viscoelastic flow.

Good to hear. Maybe you could do some sort of coupon code on the web store so backers get it at cost, or with a small mark up for handing and the sort?

As an aside Im pretty sure that most people who bought a kit was thinking the same... make some for myself, and sell some.
Im sure that as Tim gets more and more kits out, and other Kickstarter projects are doing the same, the price of filament will drop and it will be much harder to sell.

elmoret wrote:

Tolerances are largely unchanged - it's not fast enough to encounter melt fracture/unstable viscoelastic flow.

melt fracture/unstable viscoelastic flow

Damm, Tim you sure have spent a lot of time on learning plastic extrusion.

Thank you.
Ralph