Topic: good evening from Tasmania Australia

the wait was worth it happiest "kid" on the block
i have spent way to many hours upgrading my SD3 but it has made my prints sooo much nicer
curious to see if there will be a local with another printer

Re: good evening from Tasmania Australia

Howdies - theres a few of us Aussies around, but can't comment on Taswegians.

Where you getting filament from ? Local ? I've been using 3dprintergear.com.au and Jamie looks after you well - but always keen to hear others opinions

Hi from another Aussie.

I vote for 3dprintergear too. Bilbycnc are quick to supply also but the last spool I ordered from them came on a large cardboard roll that doesn't fit my printer properly.

4 (edited by adrian 2013-06-24 11:20:41)

lawsy wrote:

Hi from another Aussie.

I vote for 3dprintergear too. Bilbycnc are quick to supply also but the last spool I ordered from them came on a large cardboard roll that doesn't fit my printer properly.

Yes - I've had good success with Bilbycnc as well in terms of delivery - but to be frank - have had issues with their product as delivered. Packages have arrived split open already etc and I've had dampness issues as a result (particularly with the PLA I ordered). But its damn quick. Their motors need some better/clearer descriptions too on the webpages, but meh.

What I do like though is how Bilbycnc put the tempreature ranges for the various filaments right there on their stickers on the filament roll - its a nice touch!

i have bought a couple rolls off 3dprintergear.com.au but the black is a thirsty little roll i have to put it in the oven every other  day to stop it having moisture
i put all my rolls in big ziplock bags with the do not eat packet..... to lazy to google it
was thinking of setting up a hot box with a 40w globe

i wish postage from solidoodle wasn't so expensive i mean really $40 to post a nozzle

6 (edited by adrian 2013-06-24 13:19:58)

Damon550 wrote:

i wish postage from solidoodle wasn't so expensive i mean really $40 to post a nozzle

Yup - to be frank - unless you desperately want the SD OEM part, due to their insistence in using USPS the way they do and not using flat-rate packages, its far far cheaper to just get what you need elsewhere. All the hotend is basically provided by MakerGear. However, most people end up just going J-Head (or E3D if you want to dabble in all-metal and higher temps for things like Polycarb) off of ebay and switch to using Lawsy's MkIV extruder.

Re filament storage/humidity - I'm in Canberra so I hear you. I keep meaning to see how sticking a DampRid container inside the crate I store my filament helps.

But theres also the likes of http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35710 ...  Over in the US Drying Cupboards are all the rage, particularly in Snow regions - so people just use that... They also have oodles of solutions since you have humidity considerations when storing weapons, so there is lots of 'gun safe' solutions that aren't readily available here ...

I presently do the Rice trick that Lawsy does as well - but I'm keen on switching to either Bulk Desiccant or seeing how DampRid works... (the only potential issue there is, you want the filament to retain about 5% moisture content... not to be at zero... I'm wondering if DampRid will be to aggressive...)