Topic: Slow cool down of bed

I'd like to see a slow cool down feature for the bed... After my latest glass shattering it struck me a cool down cycle for he bed would be handy as I believe its contraction after cooling that causes glass to shatter not expansion on heat (usually)

Re: Slow cool down of bed

Change your end Code to something like 60 Celsius instead of "off."   I'm surprised, I rapid cycled  cheap 2mm glass plenty of times without a problem. it's slow to cool down because of thermal mass and the printer chamber being surrounded by walls. Never blew cold fans on it or anything.

I had a piece of glass break when i printed a part that was about 7x7 inches on my SD3.  While cooling "BANG!!!"  the glass broke.

4 (edited by adrian 2013-06-20 04:23:06)

Borosillicate Glass (aka Pyrex) for the win.

Its designed for heating and cooling.

Standard glass is not.

Pick some up from one of many reprap ebay retailers .. I paid $15 a 200x214mm square shipped.... and it wont ever shatter except through physical mis-treatment

But standard glass is not annealed, and yes, will eventually develop fractures to the surface and fail spontaneously...
So use the pyrex - heat cycles is what its made for smile No need for fancy cool down etc smile

Heres a link I've even UK-asised for you smile Only 13 quid! (I actually got 200x214 from somewhere, as I wanted some spare room for clipping it down...) smile
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Borosilicate- … 3383057aab

I think my problem is i went above 110c, i'm not sure exactly what temp but it was scolding. I'm not sure why but i remember from somewhere that normal glass doesnt like going over this temp.