Topic: ramos96's Filastruder

So after slacking for almost a month and change tongue I am beginning my Filastruder build today.
Yesterday I began calibration of my Printrbot LC + (also a kickstarter). I completed that this morning, I think its about as close as I am willing to spend time on.

I began the printing of the hopper funnel, hopefully I have enough filament left. pics to come shortly. How do I figure out which number I am?

Humbly,
Roo

Re: ramos96's Filastruder

You should have gotten a sticker with a serial number on it. smile

Woot the hopper funnel is finished now onto the hopper, tight on filament but I am pretty sure I will make it. I like cutting it close like this tongue

And you were correct as usual, I am number 38.

Humbly,
Roo

just made it smile no filament left. Is the hopper funnel supposed to fit around the hopper? Or am I supposed to attach them together?

Roo

The funnel should slide over the top. You can use a ziptie around the hopper to keep it from sliding too far, or use deranolph's funnel.

Thanks, I will bust out the trusty file or dremel and get too it in a bit. I need a break as I have been in my garage most of the day, TX weather is not very conducive at the moment to sitting in a garage, but one good thing is the 3D printer did not take very long to warm up thanks to the 100+ degree heat, lol.

Just finished watching the video, doesn't look too hard might be able to finish it tonight and possibly melt some stuff.

smile
Roo

Yeah, it takes me about 2 hours to assemble one. A few tips:

Do not overtighten the barrel. Only grip it on the short side of the barrel - the 1 inch or so between the cutout and the threads.
Ensure the auger rotates smoothly in the barrel.
The red dot on the motor is GND.

Good luck, and post here if you have the slightest question!

8 (edited by ramos96 2013-06-18 11:31:28)

So being the OCD person I am, I definitely am taking more than 2 hours tongue
I used my bench top power supply to run the motor and auger assembly @ 12V, it turns very slowly, is that correct?

Definitely the most troublesome part for me at least was the attachment of the sub-assemblies to the board, If had to do it over or as a suggestion I would used angle brackets and nuts/bolts. I might consider changing to that but at the moment I am running out of time rapidly on this project as I may have to travel to Brazil.

Tomorrow I will install the guide and do all the wiring portion, then I guess test this sucker out.

How does one post pics here?

Humbly & tired,
Roo

9 (edited by Downeasta 2013-06-18 08:26:26)

To post pics, you either need to get them hosted on something like flicker, photobucket or facebook (if you use Facebook to host the image make sure the image is public, that way if some one doesnt have FB, they can still view it).  On photobucket you want the copy that has the /img statement.  Otherwise it is the third icon from the right above the "write message" window.  If you mouse over the top icons it will say img.  Clicking on that icon you will see the cursor is now between the bbcode for posting the image.  You want to paste the image address where the cursor is located.

To get the address, (I am using firefox/waterfox) I right click on the image and select "copy image location".  This is what is pasted into the place is with the img statement.  The result should look like this. 
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/381060_325507104129024_1253614162_n.jpg

I am an open book, write on my pages that I may learn the wisdom that you posses.

ramos96 wrote:

So being the OCD person I am, I definitely am taking more than 2 hours tongue
I used my bench top power supply to run the motor and auger assembly @ 12V, it turns very slowly, is that correct?

Definitely the most troublesome part for me at least was the attachment of the sub-assemblies to the board, If had to do it over or as a suggestion I would used angle brackets and nuts/bolts. I might consider changing to that but at the moment I am running out of time rapidly on this project as I may have to travel to Brazil.

Tomorrow I will install the guide and do all the wiring portion, then I guess test this sucker out.

How does one post pics here?

Humbly & tired,
Roo

Very slowly, yes. About 2RPM.

The angle brackets are a good idea. I've gotten pretty good at it after doing 10 or so, so i forget what its like to do it for the first time. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: I'm thinking about angle brackets for the main support, and the old style of through-screws for the motor mount. There isn't much room under the motor for angle brackets. So, I'm thinking mount the motor like people have been doing so far, but then the use of angle brackets for the main support will make life easier for final alignment of things. Thoughts?

Downeasta wrote:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/381060_325507104129024_1253614162_n.jpg

I like the new design for the filastuder. A ride-able version was bound to happen.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

12 (edited by ramos96 2013-06-20 03:43:58)

Mechanical build is complete but since I don't want to just cut ends off to wire it up. I am going to make up a circuit/power board to connect everything up to it. Still can't post pics, probably cause I am a newbie, but if you search for roosbots on photobucket that is me

Humbly,
Roo

You can post pictures after 10 posts.

Ah ok cool, 3 more to go then. I am pretty sure I am not going to Brazil sad so that gives me more time. What do you think about enamel paint on the wood, heat resistant enough?

Roo

ramos96 wrote:

Ah ok cool, 3 more to go then. I am pretty sure I am not going to Brazil sad so that gives me more time. What do you think about enamel paint on the wood, heat resistant enough?

Roo

Sure. No portion of the wood gets over 35C, so any paint would be fine.

Well I had a very AWESOME day today tongue
I finished my wiring and power distribution for the filastruder, my wife and I got told that we now have a case worker so that means we are certified to adopt children!!!, and attended an awesome how to sew class at Joann's. I will be posting up very shortly the pics of the filastruder, next up will be test some extrusion and get some filament made so I can print out the enclosure.

Humbly,
Roo

Ok pictures of the wiring are uploaded to the photobucket account (roosbots).