Re: Selling prints - how much?

danny wrote:

Again, what I'm warning here, if your only selling point is price, then you'll son be priced out.
offer complete services, sensibly priced and you should have a good business...

For me personally I'm not looking at it as a business.  I bought the SD primarily to prototype without having to protect my intellectual property until I'm ready.  The side printing would be a bonus, but I don't think of this machine as a production level quality machine.  I'm just hopeful that I can sell enough to pay myself back the cost of the machine, and then my prototyping is "free". 

Charge what the market will bear, if the market gets below what you want to charge, stop doing it.  That's how I'm looking at it.  You can use shapeways as a good indicator of where you're at too.  I think you can upcharge shapeways a little because you can print in any color and faster, but that's just me.

Re: Selling prints - how much?

cmetzel wrote:

Charge what the market will bear, if the market gets below what you want to charge, stop doing it.  That's how I'm looking at it.  You can use shapeways as a good indicator of where you're at too.  I think you can upcharge shapeways a little because you can print in any color and faster, but that's just me.

cmetzel,  I think most of us agree with what you're saying.  I myself do things as a hobby because I think they're fun, not to make a profit.  If I make a buck off what I'm doing, that's just gravy to let me keep doing what I want to do.  Once something becomes "not fun" is when I have to re-evaluate whether it's worth doing.