Topic: Solidoodle starts shipping our new motherboard

Hey all! I just wanted to give you the news that Solidoodle is shipping a new motherboard now. For future printers we will be using our own "Solidoodle Motherboard" instead of the Sanguinololu included with previous Solidoodle iterations. The Solidoodle motherboard has a new, more reliable power supply connection (no more screw terminals) and uses a slightly different power supply than what we used previously.

We will continue using the Marlin firmware, and firmware uploads are still possible, with a few process tweaks. Instead of using the arduino IDE, the firmware uploads will be done with a convenient command line tool. The stepper chips on the board are rated for a higher voltage, and there will be more expansion ports available (we wont be soldering on the headers for them, however.) An extra bonus is that this board will work with Repetier host on linux without a firmware recompile.

Of course, this will appear in the store soon.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the new mother board - I think you guys will like it.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Re: Solidoodle starts shipping our new motherboard

Will there be features available via firmware that won't be usable on existing examples?  Can the "process tweaks" for updating be described?  Is the "command line tool" referenced open source and if so can you describe what it is or what it is based on?

Thanks

Matt

solidoodlesupport wrote:

The stepper chips on the board are rated for a higher voltage

Why? Are you also upgrading the power supply to use a higher voltage? It seems that wouldn't make sense. Do you mean higher current? What model are the new chips?

4 (edited by adrian 2013-06-13 14:21:43)

im guessing its avrdude by another name.. Maybe they are exploiting DFU loading..

its not moved away from Atmel based on the description and functions...

so it wont matter really, except that you'll need a bootloader to use Arduino... and probably an ICSP programmer...
I tend to skip the bootloader anyway in the firmware development I'm doing... it makes it 'boot' much faster from power on anyway..

So its situation normal really as far as firmware goes.

I'm more keen like Tim to hear if they fixed the Sang issues, if its just a reworked Sang schematic produced inhouse, or what.

As long as they break out the pins for programming that would be great. You can get avr programmers for a few dollars.

You should still add a 12v header and a fan to the cover, especially if the drivers still don't have heatsinks.

IanJohnson wrote:

You should still add a 12v header and a fan to the cover, especially if the drivers still don't have heatsinks.

With our new stepper chips, overheating does not seem to be an issue.

8 (edited by adrian 2013-06-14 04:13:17)

solidoodlesupport wrote:

With our new stepper chips, overheating does not seem to be an issue.

*cough* I believe elmoret and I asked a few questions... specifically to do with track sizes and current capability ??

elmoret wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

The stepper chips on the board are rated for a higher voltage

Why? Are you also upgrading the power supply to use a higher voltage? It seems that wouldn't make sense. Do you mean higher current? What model are the new chips?

I don't have the exact specs at the moment, but I am told that the entire system is more robust. I can work on it and get them for you, if they are available.

adrian wrote:

im guessing its avrdude by another name.. Maybe they are exploiting DFU loading..

its not moved away from Atmel based on the description and functions...

so it wont matter really, except that you'll need a bootloader to use Arduino... and probably an ICSP programmer...
I tend to skip the bootloader anyway in the firmware development I'm doing... it makes it 'boot' much faster from power on anyway..

So its situation normal really as far as firmware goes.

I'm more keen like Tim to hear if they fixed the Sang issues, if its just a reworked Sang schematic produced inhouse, or what.

It is AVRdude. If you have ever worked with a printerboard, the process should be familiar to you.

exactly when did you start shipping with the new motherboard? mine shipped today does my unit have the new motherboard? order number 13027 if that helps.

Will the new board be a drop-in replacement? If not, will there be some kind of purchasable adapter set?

MolecularConcept wrote:

exactly when did you start shipping with the new motherboard? mine shipped today does my unit have the new motherboard? order number 13027 if that helps.

It will have the new motherboard. As of last Friday all new Solidoodles will have the new gear.

Lurkios wrote:

Will the new board be a drop-in replacement? If not, will there be some kind of purchasable adapter set?

It requires a slightly different power supply (different connector now), but but has no other special needs. It is not compatible with previous iterations of the mounting legs/screws for the motherboard, so you might need to find a way to account for that.

So how likely is my order to get the new board or are you sticking the new mod on after you clean out the old parts?

order #12757

I am an open book, write on my pages that I may learn the wisdom that you posses.

Downeasta wrote:

So how likely is my order to get the new board or are you sticking the new mod on after you clean out the old parts?

order #12757

All Solidoodles have the new motherboard from this point on.

Grrr. I've just placed an order via imakr.com in the UK, and see this. It says that imakr have the older boards in their description.

I guess I'll try to cancel and wait till they have new boards. :-(

What are the changes to the firmware required for it to run on the new board? What are the specs of the new chip? Will it support LCD mods?

Rincewind wrote:

What are the changes to the firmware required for it to run on the new board? What are the specs of the new chip? Will it support LCD mods?

We should be able to get you a nice spec sheet by the end of the week. You should be able to use the Firmware as is. LCD mods should be possible - if you are willing to solder on the pins you will have more room for expansion.

Posting this news to the FB page might be a nice idea.

I am an open book, write on my pages that I may learn the wisdom that you posses.

Downeasta wrote:

Posting this news to the FB page might be a nice idea.

It's coming today with the blog post. Thought I'd give the forum guys an extra heads up.

I see the drivers are not pluggable...

http://www.solidoodle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/boardcover.jpg

23 (edited by elmoret 2013-06-18 19:04:49)

Yikes about the soldered stepper drivers. Also that they fill the pin headers with solder.

Pro: Looks like a microSD card slot?

Definitely a cheaper design. I see CC-SA on there, where are the design/Gerber files?

This definitely saves Solidoodle money. I'm happier with the old design though. smile

awesome my SD3 came with the new motherboard! it will be incredible if we can mod it to run LCD controller. im not all that electronics savvy but im willing to learn.

anyone plan on tackling this mod anytime soon?

Filling the holes creates a giant PITA if you want to add headers.  The Sanguinololu had an extra 12v supply that could be used for an electronics fan.  Is that still possible with this board?