Topic: Alternative Printing-Software

Hi,

Have not received my printer and new to to this. But I am already looking in to different SW's and I found this software Axon (2.1) used for another 3d-printer also using Skeinforge .

What alternative SW's could be used for the actual printing?
(not talking about modeling now)

Cheers

Re: Alternative Printing-Software

Slicing only-

Slic3r - http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/slic3r/

Kisslicer - http://www.kisslicer.com/

Miracle Grue, incorporated with Makerbot's new Makerware.

Slicing and Control

Repetier Host, with Slic3r or Skeinforge - http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … tier-host/

Cura, uses Skeinforge 50 - http://daid.github.com/Cura/

Netfabb Engine, 150 euro - http://www.netfabb.com/engine_ultimaker.php

Replicator G, uses various Skenforge versions.  Needs unknown tweaks to control Solidoodle

Nice list!

Which one would you recommend, and have anyone tried this Axon 2.1?

Haven't tried axon, but the general consensus seems to be repetier host with slic3r. That is my favorite and mostly anyone who tries it agrees. Check out Ian's link, he does a great job introducing it.

Haven't tried axon, but the general consensus seems to be repetier host with slic3r. That is my favorite and mostly anyone who tries it agrees. Check out Ian's link, he does a great job introducing it.

@Ian

I tried your solution with Repetier but I now have a problem before even getting started using my solidoodle2
sad

when upgrading the Marlin FW!

I am using Arduino 022 and followed the steps all the way through in both Win7 and Mac Os
Still getting:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0×00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0×14, resp=0×51

Is there a way of fixing this or going back to the preloaded FW, I am desperate now and also posted on your blog.

Please Help!

If you have received that error, the upload did not work so your original firmware is still in place. Did you follow the instructions exactly as in the readme on github? Sounds like you might have the wrong board/port selected in the Arduino IDE.

Hi,

It's good to hear that nothing is overwritten (my biggest fear)

I believe I used the correct board-profile (Sanguino W/ ATmega644P), since this would be the standard included.

PS.
I found this link : reprap.org/wiki/Sanguinololu

Saying :
workaround
To resolve, hold the reset button on your Sanguinololu for about 10 seconds. While still holding the button, try to upload the firmware again (File --> Upload to Board). Let go of the reset button as soon as Arduino reports, "Binary sketch size: ###### bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)". The firmware should now be accepted.

An other think to check is the baudrate in the " Boards.txt" folder. (in hardware/Sanguino ) Change atmega644p.upload.speed=57600 to atmega644p.upload.speed=38400 Arduino will not take changes in this folder if it is not restarted.

I will test this as im back from work and post the outcome .... thanks for the answers.

Still the same problem ....

Is the correct COM port selected?

Try and upload without hitting reset also.

First  make sure you are running arduino 0.22 or 0.23 and then:

Make sure that the drivers has been installed for the board. In Win7, Go into start->programs-> admin -> computer management and make sure that there is no "unknown" under ports, or anything with a ! or a yellow symbol. If there is, then read the step to install drivers manually, basially pointing the drivers to arduino022/drivers (my money goes on this beeing the problem, new versions of windows should fix it but have had to do it manually on win 7 enterprise..)

If this is ok, then you should see what port the board is using and use that one in arduino. If all this is aleady ok, then make sure the right boars is added and selected in the arduino gui.

I dont have to press the reset button, but you should try both, first of not pressing it. A upload takes about 45-60 seconds for me, and you dont get any feedback before its done.

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/help.html

12 (edited by Kvirre 2012-10-11 06:09:46)

@Rondavouz

Yes, that's my thought as well.
I have checked the drivers in win7 and I can't upgrade the drivers (by pointing out the files in 022).
However I can choose between 3 different drivers already recognized in windows from different dates.
Now I tried 2 drivers (dates) and both gave the same result.

What date does the driver have when using the correct one?

PS.
Unistalling the driver does not help, since windows locates the old (or perhaps newer) drivers from the registry.

This problem is not seen when timing it right in Mac Os (only Arduino 022 installed), but there is another printout:
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Thanks
//Martin

http://www.solidoodle.com/how-to-2/how- … -software/

step 1, there you can find the correct driver and how to install it.

I have tried all the methods, but I cant get it updated. I get either 0x00 or 0x15 error codes.

Tried the mentioned combinations with the reset button and such. I have tried to switch drivers too. I am sure that the COM-port is the right one because I can connect to the port in the solidoodle software. I also disconnected all wires from the board, except for the power. I have tried to flash it with and without power too.

Please help? smile

You should try posting to some Arduino forums.  It's specifically an Arduino problem, and you will find a larger pool of expertise there.   Meanwhile, try it with another computer if you have one available, to determine if it is a printer problem or computer problem.

One more thing, have you closed any other programs that communicate with the printer. If Pronterface has hogged the COM port, it might cause the error.

I will now resort to Arduino forums as suggested, and get back in this thread if I get to work.
However, it seems like I tried most things already.
sad

This id really strange because it's the first time anyone has posted up about this problem. Hopefully it's some minor little problem that seems silly in hindsight.

I did a clean reboot of my PC and tried to update, but it`s a no go. I also tried with my server (2012 server) but no luck there either.. Could it be a problem with 64-bit?

My PC is Win7 64bit and I've used it to update the Solidoodle, a Replicator and flash a bunch of Arduino boards so that shouldn't be a problem.

I use a Win-7 64 bit at home and at work. My Solidoodle is connected to my home PC using Windows 7 64 bit professional. Check your programs and make sure you downloaded the 32 bit versions though. I recall something about the 64 bit versions not fully working properly. Your machine can run either 32 bit or 64 bit versions of software without issue but there are some things that do not always work in the 64 bit versions. Office from Microsoft has some compatibility issues with the 64 bit version. I've used my Solidoodle straight from the box since the first week of August with Gcode generated from my work PC as well as my home PC without issue. I am using all the stock programs that were recommended by Solidoodle. If you continue to have issues, uninstall the programs and reinstall from their instructions using all the 32 bit versions of software and drivers.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Im not having any problems with pronterface etc.
All works fine, however I have problem with flashing and there is no 32/64 -bit version of Arduino SW (if you are not using Linux that is)

Hi,

After many tries I still can't upload the FW.
So now i'm considering the next best thing ....

Running Slic3r with pronterface, is this possible?

I tried to configure Slic3r using Ian's instructions :
Slic3r - http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/slic3r/

However now the slic3r interface looks different (latest version) so I did my best to match this.

When I ran the generated g-code I ran in to trouble.
Pronterface did not understand the file and I recieved "unknown command", and later moved the Z-axis all the way down (where I unplugged the power to avoid damage)

Since I am unable to use the updated Marlin FW I assumed that the "Start g-code" and "End g-code" commands are the one to be used (since home-command does not work)?

Finally,

Does anyone have a setup using Slic3r and Pronterface who could share this as a package?
I'm starting to loose faith .... : /

Regards

I updated my firmware last night on a Win 7 64 Bit machine with no problem. I verified that my Com port was correct (I am using COM8) and clicked the mouse to upload immediately after pressing and releasing the reset switch. One thing I noticed is that the upload takes a while to complete. The Arduino program loader responds immediately with the Binary Sketch information but it takes a while to get the message that the upload is done. I researched the codes you were returning and the forums indicate that the com port is either not configured right or the correct com port is not selected.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Support have confirmed in other threads that they think there might be some microcontrollers with faulty bootloaders.

The good news is you just have to replace the microcontroller, not the whole Sanguinololu board. You can get an upgraded straight swap 1284P from the emaker shop fot not much at all with the bootloader already on. This will allow later upgrades to use SDcard readers and LCD screens.