1 (edited by Kyle 2012-08-08 05:29:27)

Topic: mCP X blades

Made this to see how printed heli parts will handle real world usage.

I'll record the testing because the likely failure of the part will surely be entertaining.

Post's attachments

mcpx_blade.stl 600.45 kb, 134 downloads since 2012-08-08 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: mCP X blades

I'm really interested in how this turns out, and if its rigid enough for flight. I wonder if the blade pitch will turn out right as well.

3 (edited by Kyle 2012-08-08 06:04:23)

No matter how they turn out I'm exited.

If they fail it should be entertaining. If they do not, $0.16 is a pretty good price for replacement blades when compared to $9 at the hobby shop.

I go back to school on the 28th, I'll print a set then

I'm curious to see if 3D printed "ridges" affect the performance.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I would think, (looking at the design)
you'll either need to print the blade thicker (so it touches the bed), (or add support) so that the tip has some support (that overhang will be impossible).

Either way there is going to be a lot of clean up task afterwards, by  the time that's finished there probably will be no ridges.

danny wrote:

I would think, (looking at the design)
you'll either need to print the blade thicker (so it touches the bed), (or add support) so that the tip has some support (that overhang will be impossible).

Either way there is going to be a lot of clean up task afterwards, by  the time that's finished there probably will be no ridges.

Support will be a must when printing these blades. I'll also look into as small a layer height as possible to get a nice smooth airfoil. Later, I may try some polishing techniques to further reduce the drag on the part.

Assuming they don't fall apart on the initial stress testing.

...Im no expert on anything, but shouldn't the blade be pitched upwards instead of just flat? it looks like its all a horizontal motion without any lift...

maybe the circle part could be tilted and the blade be flat...

or both printed flat but separate pieces that are glued to a pitch?

Like i said, I know nothing so don't be angry if I'm wrong..lol

I believe the bottom of the blade is flat and the top is what has a bit of a curve.

I dunno... both top and bottom look the same to me... maybe its just me then smile

Rotate the model to view it from the end of the blade and you can see its curved at the top smile

MeshMoth wrote:

...Im no expert on anything, but shouldn't the blade be pitched upwards instead of just flat? it looks like its all a horizontal motion without any lift...

This particular helicopter is known as collective pitch.

Instead of the motor speeding up or down, the pitch of the blade changes.

It's also how I can fly upside down smile

12 (edited by MeshMoth 2012-08-09 21:02:51)

Oh yeah definitely, I see that its curved on the top, but i'm saying that same curve is also mirrored on the bottom side.

And when I said that it was flat, i meant the blade was pointing in a horizontal pitch... maybe im just being confusing...

Maybe this stl will help me explain better... I did a crude edit of the blade and probably mucked it up that it can't be used to print, but it should show what I mean...

Edit:

Let me try again:

Post's attachments

mcpx_blade_edit.stl 119.13 kb, 28 downloads since 2012-08-09 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Kyle wrote:
MeshMoth wrote:

This particular helicopter is known as collective pitch.

Instead of the motor speeding up or down, the pitch of the blade changes.

It's also how I can fly upside down smile

OHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!.... lol sorry.

If you want to get the blade a little longer you might try printing it at an angle to the bed.

Hi,

I remembered that I see something like this at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16356
and I'm sure you can find more. You should have a closer look and use the experience to improve yours.

I like your work and look forward to receive my printer.

Test ride with slef-printed blades:

Have a nice day
wolfi

I placed my order 08-18-2012, ID: 3676, it's hard to wait!

I finally had a chance to print off a set of these blades.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo204/captainkeewl/86EF589E-F9D4-49AB-A557-EF35F5A64CB3-91-00000000B093160D.jpg

Beautiful! What a great use of 3D printing. Perhaps someone will try an airplane ?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

Beautiful! What a great use of 3D printing. Perhaps someone will try an airplane ?

+1