Re: Solidoodle Belt and Pulley specs / belt replacement guide

Everything is running fine using the original belts for the y-axis and the new belts for the x-axis.

3dcad, EEPROM instructions:

1. http://calculator.josefprusa.cz/

Get a ball park by entering the standard Solidoodle specs:

Motor step angle: 1.8
Driver microstepping: 1/16 uStep
Belt presets: MXL belts (2.03mm)
Belt pitch: 2.03mm
Pulley tooth count: 18

This will calculate to 87.58 steps per mm. Firmware is factory set to 88 steps per mm.

2. Change values in calculator to suit new belts and pulleys:

Motor step angle: 1.8
Driver microstepping: 1/16 uStep
Belt presets: GT2 belts (2.00mm)
Belt pitch: 2.00mm
Pulley tooth count: 20 (may be different for you depending on which pulleys you buy)

Calculates to 80 steps per mm. This is the value for the EEPROM settings.

3. Open Repetier-Host and connect.

Go to Config > Firmware EEPROM configuration

Change value from 88.00 to 80.00 for X and Y (depending on what belts you changed) on the top row.

Click Save to EEPROM and then yes.

Finished!

Print something round to see if it comes out as a circle or oval.

Lawsy,

What size length did you get for your Y drive belt from the motor to the first shaft?

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

It's worse, the rod is 6mm which means the bushings have a 6mm bore, but the holes in the frame that the bushings are mounted in are 1/2".  Maybe you should get a 5mm rod, some 5x13mm flange bearings, and ground the holes out from 12.6mm to 13mm.

2n2r5 wrote:

Lawsy,

What size length did you get for your Y drive belt from the motor to the first shaft?

I didn't replace that little belt. As yet unable to find a local supplier...

Here is the belt I am getting for that.
http://www.sdp-si.com/cd/PartDetail.asp … p;GROUP=TB

Pitch:    2mm (GT2)
Groove Number:    86
Material:    Neoprene
Belt Width:    6MM
Pitch Length:    172mm
Belt Type:    SINGLE SIDED
Tension Member(Cord):    FIBERGLASS

Pulley supplier is BBMAN

18-2P06-6FA2 x 5
Description:
18 Teeth
GT2
6mm Wide
.1875" bore

(needs to be widened from 4.76mm to 5mm)

18-2P06-6CA3
Description:
18 Teeth
GT2
6mm Wide
.250" bore

(will need to run grub screw all the way in or something to take up the .37mm gap)

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

So far my prints look exactly the same. Not sure if this mod is worth the effort and particularly the stuffing around with the rear 1/4 inch rod.

I will hold off on my order then. It looks like it will be nearly $100 worth of hardware unless I start scouring ebay.

SD3 w/ mods:

2n2r5 wrote:

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/solidoodle.skp

in case you were wanting something for references and you don't have your machine. Here is that mock up

Not to bring up an old thread but IS this an accurate mockup of a sD3?

I just checked out your site for more info. Funny I just got back from Thailand!

Stevos758 wrote:
2n2r5 wrote:

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/solidoodle.skp

in case you were wanting something for references and you don't have your machine. Here is that mock up

Not to bring up an old thread but IS this an accurate mockup of a sD3?

I just checked out your site for more info. Funny I just got back from Thailand!

It's an incomplete mockup but what I have there is accurate so far.

SD3 w/ mods:

Cool! Thanks!

2n2r5 wrote:

I will hold off on my order then. It looks like it will be nearly $100 worth of hardware unless I start scouring ebay.

I have had good luck with the belts form here:
http://www.robotdigg.com/product

Might even have the right pulleys.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Hazer wrote:
2n2r5 wrote:

I have had good luck with the belts form here:
http://www.robotdigg.com/product

Might even have the right pulleys.

Those prices seem great! How's the shipping? I may have to look into a belt upgrade.

Shipping is expensive, but worth it often. If you have a light enough order (<500g) and can afford the wait, you can request chinapost mail instead of fedex.

They're quiet and awkward to order from, but I've had both packages I order (a $40 order and a $120 order) arrive safely and relatively quickly.