Re: Cleaning out a clogged nozzle with poking it with a wire doesn't work

I printed like 3 things and sadly my nozzle is quite clogged

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Wow given how easily it clogs and I only got 3 prints done before filament feeder clogged Solidoodle really should make it easier to get to the filament area. I have spent 2 hours on this and am halfway through taking it apart.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

As soon as you get this working, Go here and print 2 of these kitshttp://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47561. Put one in a safe place with your other spares that you have/will print and put the other one on.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I finally after hours got it going. I am trying to print that replacement now. Thanks smile

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox,

Let me know how it works.  Interestingly, I had the same problem.  I really don't want to take that puzzle apart again.

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

Oh it clogged again the next day. So I went with the mk4 in place of the acrylic one. Fortunally I printed it out before it clogged again.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

do you put a 'filament cleaner/ filament dust remover' on your filament ? It is extraordinary all the dust (futur clog) that this thing will remove from your filament.

I have not yet put a filament cleaner/ filament dust remover on it.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Hi guys I am new here.  New to 3d printing as well.  Got my solidoodle about 3 weeks ago.  Spent the first week calibrating and trying things out. 

Then this was followed by 2 weeks of successful printing just printing different things from Thingiverse.  Then 2 days ago it just stop extruding.  I managed to poke a thin wire through the peek but it was clogged up in the barrel.  It felt like poking through thick tar.  The nozzle was clogged up as well.

I detached the hot end and then detached the heater block and the nozzle.  I then soaked the nozzle and the exposed barrel in acetone for 5 hours.

I was successful in dislodging chunks of plastic from barrel using a paper clip.  But the nozzle was something else.  Poking with the paper clip I can feel inside the tip is a chunk of very hard carbon.  Even after prolong soaking.  It reminded me of the carbon build up in cast iron pans.  Which gave me an idea. 

I had in the past bought antique cast iron pans and cleansed them by putting them in the oven and running through its cleaning cycle.  All the carbon would turned to dust after about 3 hours in the cleaning cycle.  So I thought I will try it with the nozzle.  There is not much to lose since I presume nozzles are not that expensive.  Also brass melting point is 1600f and the cleaning cycle only goes up to 800f.

And so in went the nozzle in the oven set at self cleaning cycle and I left it there for 2.5 hours.   And voila it came out as clean as a whistle with the nozzle hole clearly open.  I put everything back together and I am now printing again.

I thought I would share this experience with you.

soedil wrote:

Hi guys I am new here.  New to 3d printing as well.  Got my solidoodle about 3 weeks ago.  Spent the first week calibrating and trying things out. 

Then this was followed by 2 weeks of successful printing just printing different things from Thingiverse.  Then 2 days ago it just stop extruding.  I managed to poke a thin wire through the peek but it was clogged up in the barrel.  It felt like poking through thick tar.  The nozzle was clogged up as well.

I detached the hot end and then detached the heater block and the nozzle.  I then soaked the nozzle and the exposed barrel in acetone for 5 hours.

I was successful in dislodging chunks of plastic from barrel using a paper clip.  But the nozzle was something else.  Poking with the paper clip I can feel inside the tip is a chunk of very hard carbon.  Even after prolong soaking.  It reminded me of the carbon build up in cast iron pans.  Which gave me an idea. 

I had in the past bought antique cast iron pans and cleansed them by putting them in the oven and running through its cleaning cycle.  All the carbon would turned to dust after about 3 hours in the cleaning cycle.  So I thought I will try it with the nozzle.  There is not much to lose since I presume nozzles are not that expensive.  Also brass melting point is 1600f and the cleaning cycle only goes up to 800f.

And so in went the nozzle in the oven set at self cleaning cycle and I left it there for 2.5 hours.   And voila it came out as clean as a whistle with the nozzle hole clearly open.  I put everything back together and I am now printing again.

I thought I would share this experience with you.

Wow, thanks for sharing. Never thought of doing that. Great idea.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

You are welcome.

I just used the torch method. Man that is awesome!

Stevos758 wrote:

When I saw that on the official solidoodle site as a last resort, I was a little worried. Know what I know now, I say bring on the heat. lol

SD3 w/ mods:

2n2r5 wrote:
Stevos758 wrote:

When I saw that on the official solidoodle site as a last resort, I was a little worried. Know what I know now, I say bring on the heat. lol

Also, the drill method is nice.

There was a nice customer who informed by the cleaning cycle in a self cleaning oven does wonders. Perhaps someone should give it a shot.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Clean cycle in an oven is really just another version of the blow torch method tongue

So I thought I would tell everyone what I do to clean my nozzle when the the nozzle gets a little plugged and the extruder starts making the clicking noise.

1.I'll pause my print (yes I do this quick during a print.)

2. Move Extruder Head to home position.
3.Pull out my Diesel Injector Cleaning kit. (It is a kit for engines at is designed to push carbon and gunk off of the injectors in the motor/head.) It comes with wires of different sizes and a tool to hold them. I push the proper  wire up the nozzle while its in the home position I can do it when the print bed is at any level.

4. Extrude 50-100 cm of plastic from nozzle
5. Move the print bed down
6. Click resume and hope that printing works better.  IF not repeat and extrude even more plastic.

Some times I've had to use a heavy wire (thickness similar to filament  to push from the top to get plastic to move through the nozzle if I let the jam/clicking noise go on too long.

I was just told by Solidoodle that if you remove the brass tube from the peek insulator and reassemble that it will leak and be a problem from then on. Apparently you shouldn't remove the hot end to clear the nozzle, according to Solidoodle.

I had a clog that resulted in melted PLA traveling up the PEEK into the acrylic jigsaw (and subsequently cooling). which required dismantling the jigsaw.

I've cleared a few clogs by removing the barrel from the PEEK and holding it upside down by the nozzle with a pair of pliers while heating it up. I also had to screw in the PEEK while the barrel was hot to get it not to leak.

And I also eventually melted my PEEK from doing this sort of clog removal and reassembly.

When it works, the guitar string method is great.  Unfortunately, it doesn't always work.

I have an E3D on the way.

3d-oodler wrote:

I have an E3D on the way.

You have found happiness smile

So yesterday my nozzle clogged, and poking it with a wire did not help at all.

I'm fairly certain the oven/blowtorch method is required in this situation.  I started to disassemble the extruder, however, unlike Ian's screws facing outward, mine are in the carriage backward, with nuts on the outward end.  Unfortunately, when I try to turn the nuts, the screws turn along with them making no progress.  I tried the official solidoodle video to remove/ replace the hot end, but my screws holding the wooden insulator were too long for it to fit below and slide out, hence the need for extruder disassembly.  How do you remove these nuts?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I used my wife's Creme Brulee tourch to clean out my nozzle it worked great!!! thanks for the info!

Solidoodle 3, Bulldog XL Direct Drive, Well Nut for Z axis, borosilicate glass, E3D V6 Hot end, Custom Encloser, Lawsy Carriages with Linear Bearings and Polished 8mm Chrome rods.

Excellent tip! Thanks!

- www.absplastic.eu - 3D Printing Hub

Another question , what about using teflon (plumbers tape) on the barrel threads?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

torch tip cleaners work the best of anything. pretty cheap and very efficient without having to tear anything up. they come in all sizes and usually with a little pen to hold them. Try that

50 (edited by pirvan 2014-12-24 00:06:00)

The couple of times that my nozzle clogged up, I simply heated the hot-end to about 225°C, then I used 2mm diameter carbon fiber rod I had from one of my RC helis, and simply pushed it into the extruder.  The temperature of the hot end doesn't affect the CF rod, so it's not going to melt or soften up.

While the hobbed gear might not have enough power to push filament through without stripping it, a solid rod like the one I was using, or a metal one (with a smooth rounded tip), being manually pushed in, are more than a match for a clog. 

You should see the filament still inside the peek and the hot-end squirt out in no time.

Think of it as a hot-end version of a cattle prod big_smile

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.