Topic: Cleaning out a clogged nozzle with poking it with a wire doesn't work

The first thing you should do is order a roll of 1/4" Kapton.  Anything you do with the nozzle will require taking the thermistor off, and you will need to be able to tape it back on.  I get a lot of use out my roll for taping anything to the printer, like fan cables, etc.

Solidoodle support will recommend using a guitar string to clear a clog, but if that doesn't work they are reluctant to recommend the next steps because they involve acetone or a torch.  Acetone will either blow up in your face or kill you if you breathe any of it, except when your daughter is using it to remove nail polish.  If you use a torch, you will burn your house down and tell the courts that Solidoodle told you to do it.  So I will tell you to do it instead.

Undo the thermistor and heater connectors on the side of the extruder.  Take out the four bolts holding it to the motor and pull the motor out, setting it on the back of the carriage.   Unscrew the nuts on the bottom that hold it to the carriage and take the extruder out of the printer.  Basically follow Lawsy's directions in reverse until you have the hot end clear of the acrylic extruder - http://www.soliforum.com/topic/235/extr … bly-guide/  You don't have to take the idler arm (the part with the bearing) completely apart, just remove it from the rest of the extruder.

Take off the black insulating sleeves and slice the Kapton on the nozzle to free the thermistor.  Put a socket on the nozzle and hold the black barrel with some pliers, preferably with some fabric or something to keep from scratching it.  Gently turn the nozzle with the socket wrench.  Probably the brass barrel will start to unscrew from the PEEK (the black barrel).  If the nozzle comes off the brass barrel instead, your job got easier. 

Once the brass barrel is free, unscrew the ceramic heat core, taking it out the top.  Find two nut that will fit the barrel and thread them on a little ways.  Hold the bottom nut with a wrench and tighten the top nut against it to lock them in place.  You will use the nuts as a handle for the wrench so you can hold the barrel without mashing the threads.   Hold the bottom nut with a wrench while you use a socket to remove the nozzle.

Here is what the top of the barrel will look like, depending on the color of filament you used -
http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5384.jpg

The usual cause of clogs is the ABS sits at high temperature too long and begins to degrade to the point where it is burned, and won't melt and flow anymore.  If that is the case, the bottom of the barrel might look like this-

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5385.jpg

And the inside of the nozzle like this-

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5386.jpg

If the plastic it was extruding before you took it apart seemed a little brittle and had brown spots in it, that was probably a sign of burnt plastic.

You can soak the nozzle and barrel in acetone for a day or so and hope it clears up, but acetone is less effective on burned plastic.  What you can do instead is clear them out with a torch.  Warm the barrel up enough to soften the plastic and use a wire or something to push and pull out whatever you can.  After that clean the nozzle and the barrel the rest of the way using a torch following the directions in this video-

http://youtu.be/6bTfl35zlHE

When you are done, put it all back together.  Put the barrel on the nozzle finger tight and then turn it 1/4 turn with the socket.  Tighten the heat core against the nozzle finger tight.  When you tape the thermistor on, make sure it is sealed, and no ambient air will get to it under the tape.

Once you have the printer up and running again, don't let it sit idle with the extruder at temperature.  Always keep the heat off, or under 80C until you are ready to start printing.  It doesn't take long to warm up (unlike the bed) so it isn't that much of an inconvenience.

Here is a video demonstration of the extruder disassembly-

http://youtu.be/nQohJtS4wrE

Re: Cleaning out a clogged nozzle with poking it with a wire doesn't work

Thanks Ian, one more item would make this complete.  A picture of the assembly with balloons labeling each item so we know which part is which that you're taking apart.

exactly what I did with my time last night.

I used water to cool the barrel down when I was torching it, any reason why the alcohol was better in this video?

I feel like that guy is not an expert on safety.  I'd have the torch on left pointing right for a right handed person and the alcohol on the right far away from the torch. 

Wear safety glasses

Do this outside

wear a good mask to filter any fumes?

I agree with zimmer62. I kept waiting for him to burn his arm or hand with the torch. Plus at the end the alcohol in the bowl flamed up as well.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

He says to use alcohol because it will evaporate quickly, and not leave the brass wet.  I do this outside with a handheld torch that I shut off between applications.  Also I change out the alcohol every couple of dunkings to keep it from getting too hot.

I wouldn't worry too much about fumes if you do this outside.  There isn't really all that much smoke, especially if you use a wire or pick or something to get the filament out of the barrel.  Also it often looks like there is still a bunch of junk in the nozzle after you have been torching it awhile.  This might be ash that is just sitting there.  You can often pick it out with something sharp, and swish it around in the alcohol.  I also like to tap it on a piece of paper and see how much stuff falls out to get an idea of how clean it is.

6 (edited by IanJohnson 2012-10-02 23:58:53)

I shot a video showing how to take the extruder apart down to the nozzle.  I didn't torch it, since it wasn't clogged and there is a whole other video on that already.  I'll try to get it posted tonight.

I really hate taking apart that jigsaw puzzle.  I would like to replace it with an adaptation of this one - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15718

We would still need a mounting block to hold the hot end that would screw into both the bottom holes of the motor and the front of the X carriage.  Then attach the wood hot end plate to it the same way it attaches now, but with hex head screws whose holes are slots that are open to the front.  Also the slot for the PEEK barrel would be open to the front.  I would want to take off the mounting plate nuts with a socket wrench, and then slide the hot end forward and out without taking anything else apart.

IanJohnson wrote:

I shot a video showing how to take the extruder apart down to the nozzle.  I didn't torch it, since it wasn't clogged and there is a whole other video on that already.  I'll try to get it posted tonight.

I really hate taking apart that jigsaw puzzle.  I would like to replace it with an adaptation of this one - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15718

We would still need a mounting block to hold the hot end that would screw into both the bottom holes of the motor and the front of the X carriage.  Then attach the wood hot end plate to it the same way it attaches now, but with hex head screws whose holes are slots that are open to the front.  Also the slot for the PEEK barrel would be open to the front.  I would want to take off the mounting plate nuts with a socket wrench, and then slide the hot end forward and out without taking anything else apart.

Jigsaw puzzle should become the new official term. We know about that issue, it's on the big to-do list.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I know this post is old, but did you end up posting that video Ian?

another question for the experts, I idle the extruder at 100C between prints, I have left it like this for up to 4 hours and not had a problem yet, does anyone have a recomended idle temperature though ?

does it perhaps depend on colour or filament brand as well ?

I turn off the extruder in between prints myself.  I can go from cold to 195 in a few minutes.  If I'm going to print right away after a slice or something I'll turn it down to 95 for a bit.  I think I remember Ian saying he goes down to 100 as well.

I would think anything that is well below the melting point of the filament would be good at minimizing burnt filament from forming in the hot end. 100C is roughly 50% of the melting point of PLA or ABS so I think a good setting for idling.
However, since the hot end only needs a few minutes to heat up I just have my end.gcode turn the hot end off at the end of a print to be safe.

My nozzle came out of the barrel pretty easily but I can't get the barrel unscrewed from the peek. Any suggestions for doing this without destroying the threads on the barrel?

Jam two nuts together, and then hold the nuts with the pliers.

I added a link to the top post for a video on taking apart the video in preparation for torching, if the wire method didn't work.

Jason wrote:

My nozzle came out of the barrel pretty easily but I can't get the barrel unscrewed from the peek. Any suggestions for doing this without destroying the threads on the barrel?

If I remember my maker gear stuff......you need to have a warm nozzle or you strip the threads??

anyone wish to confirm that?

I'm a little confused here. I keep seeing posts about how you have to take the jigsaw apart first to remove the nozzle, but all I do is disconnect the wires and then unscrew it from the peek after I let the extruder warm up first. Am I damaging it in some way by doing it this way? I really don't see why you would have to take apart the whole thing unless solidoodle change the design in some way with the later models.

That's the easy way, if you are lucky.  Whenever I try to unscrew the barrel, it is tight enough that the PEEK spins around, and it's almost impossible to hold it still while it is in its slot.

What i do is... leave heater on, and remove washers and spring from swing arm. Then take a paper clip and push down. Then pull back out to remove excess filament. Repeat process till clip comes out clean. Now push down again until you see burnt filemnt petruding out of nozzle. Apply filament again. This Process works 90% of the time. Worst case scenerio, just remove nozzle from barrel and clean it out ( only if barrel is cleaned out by using clip).  I do this process all the time and dont have to take anything apart ( besides the nozzle ALONE).

I haven't had to take my extruder head apart yet (thank god), but had plenty of trouble with a clogged nozzle. Solution was to get a .43mm guitar wire for $1.25, take my dremel tool to a short 4" piece, so that there is a rough edge on the wire along about 2" of the length. Very careful insertion and rotation of the wire cleaned the nozzle out perfectly and increased the diameter of the tip just a 'teeny, teeny' bit. Works like a charm now. I've been able to make several excellent prints after wasting half a roll of natural ABS filament trying to figure out the problem. Now I run black and red, and will order a roll of blue, too.

Jam two nuts together, and then hold the nuts with the pliers.

What size nuts should we use for this?

ksmith2589 wrote:

I haven't had to take my extruder head apart yet (thank god), but had plenty of trouble with a clogged nozzle. Solution was to get a .43mm guitar wire for $1.25, take my dremel tool to a short 4" piece, so that there is a rough edge on the wire along about 2" of the length. Very careful insertion and rotation of the wire cleaned the nozzle out perfectly and increased the diameter of the tip just a 'teeny, teeny' bit. Works like a charm now. I've been able to make several excellent prints after wasting half a roll of natural ABS filament trying to figure out the problem. Now I run black and red, and will order a roll of blue, too.

Contrary to the title of the post, the guitar string trick does work in some cases. The primary problem I have with most of these support threads is that you are assuming you are looking at one problem, when you are looking at 2 or 3. There are a variety of reasons nozzles clog with different solutions.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

22 (edited by elmoret 2013-04-18 02:52:38)

So the last couple clogs I've tried to clear (2, over the last 6 months), I've sheared the brass barrel trying to get the nozzle off the barrel. Any tips for removal?

hey i just unclogged mine for the second time and the clay on the heater broke along with the wire would i be fine if i twisted the wires together and just use kapton to wrap the wires to the heater?

elmoret wrote:

So the last couple clogs I've tried to clear (2, over the last 6 months), I've sheared the brass barrel trying to get the nozzle off the barrel. Any tips for removal?

heat the tip ether with the sd or a small torch until it is easy to undo

thecrow117 wrote:

hey i just unclogged mine for the second time and the clay on the heater broke along with the wire would i be fine if i twisted the wires together and just use kapton to wrap the wires to the heater?

use wire butt connectors.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index. … s&sr=1