Topic: Hmmm, would this work?

Harbor Freight Air Eraser mini sandblaster

Youtube Video

Harbor Freight Item - $24.99 only

You could vary the psi and control the amount of material you remove, probably have to knock together a little box or do it outside so you don't have alum oxide dust everywhere.  Hit it with this then a quick dip in the vapor bath acetone and  you should be smooth in a hurry.

Re: Hmmm, would this work?

I don't know if that would be powerful enough to remove enough plastic to make a difference.  I think you could use it the other way around though.  If you want it smoothed with vapor, but don't want the gloss, you could use a mini sandblaster to make a matte surface.

I would be interested to see what can be done with a larger sandblaster, though I expect it would cost a bit more than $25.

If you can remove glass and you can remove rust with it, I would think it should be able to remove some plastic don't you?  I can do it with light pressure on sandpaper, I'm just having a hard time finding small enough sanding tools to do what I want to my products.  I'm not interested in gloss and I'm not ambitious enough to create a distillery to get my rough products smooth.  I'd love to be able to take them out to a box in the garage and smooth them out though.  I think I'm going to give it a shot, just have to make sure this will hook up to my air compressor or buy one of the kits off ebay with compressed air can.  Not so hot reviews on the one I linked to so I'm looking for another one like it.

You could take a look at this link though, there are some gravity fed guns you just hook up to the end of an air hose and you should be able to blast a hole through it if you wanted.

It would be fun to try, and an excuse to a have yet another tool/process on hand.  It should be pretty easy to make a box out of something like a rubbermaid tub with an acrylic sheet on top.

If nothing else you could etch some glass for the kids rooms..  haha

This has arrived today, I'll see if I can't find some time tonight and give it a try and post results.  Most likely won't happen until tomorrow because I'm a political junkie and I'm watching the debate tonight.

Badger Sand Blaster Kit

Didn't work at all with the included compressed air, I still need to try it with my compressor but it doesn't look promising anymore.  Oh and they aren't kidding about wearing goggles.