Topic: Reliable power source for the SD 3

My stock SD3 power source has quit on me a couple of times now. Upon examination I find that the soldier connection between the 110v input and the circuit board comes loose.  Appears to be thermal failure/melting of the soldier connections. Today I lost a print 5 hours into it. Can anyone recommend a superior replacement power source for the SD 3?

Re: Reliable power source for the SD 3

Not sure if you've seen this post. Check a ways down and look for the picture of the power supply with a fix for the problem.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1973/pow … ly-wiring/

Smitty

Thanks Smitty, that is indeed the problem and many thanks for the link.  I've resoldiered mine a couple of times now but did not think to enlarge the opening where the AC plug comes in. I'll give this a try, but to avoid heartbreakers like the one this afternoon on a long duration print was wondering if anyone has found or could recommend a superior power supply that does not heat up enough to weaken the soldier connections.

I was wondering what the army had to do with your power supply with all this mention of soldiers... then realised you meant solder smile

Its not going to be thermal failure of the solder, its flexing due to expansion/contraction when heating/cooling on poor joints. If it was *melting* the solder to cause failure, your PSU would be running at over 280°C - which it isn't. Its just tension on the lead combined with thermal *stress* causing failure.

Anyway, if you want an alternative PSU, then you can look for one like discussed in this thread: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1185/pow … 0w-for-12/ .

You can also get one of the Mean Well ones like lawsy got ; http://www.meanwell.com/search/gs220/default.htm

Still very happy with my replacement, but it wasn't cheap. Clincher for me was the tidy external look.

lawsy wrote:

Clincher for me was the tidy external look.

Yeah, hence why I haven't offered my personal solution - A MeanWell open-frame PSU that I 3D Printed a case for... I'm not keen on telling people to dable with open AC connections wink But with the appropriate due care and a 3D printed case, it looks pretty much 'off-the-shelf'...  But your choice is by far the better option for 'general public consumption'...

Thanks for the links and background. Makes sense that the solder joint wouldn't need to melt to fail.  I still have such a bad taste in my mouth from a beautiful print (at least to me) stopped short that I went ahead and ordered the gs220a12-r7b PSU. I also noticed that is offers up to a 15A output vs the 12.5A output that the SD PSU indicates. Not sure if that matters at all, but thought perhaps Meanwell uses a little heavier gave pin connections to minimize heat up. At any rate thanks for the advice!