Topic: ABS glue

I have tried the Acetone with abs scraps mixed in it and left overnight and the ABS just kinda blobs and collects at the bottom. It stays as a blob even if shaken. It does not dissolve, Whats the deal?

What I have found that works wonders is Plastruct Bondene cement with ABS scraps mixed in. The ABS dissolves completely and the resulting "ABS glue" works wonders! The down side is its like $6.87 for 2oz. sad

Smitty

Re: ABS glue

Acetone will dissolve the ABS, but it takes a few days. If its not dissolving it all, there isn't enough acetone.

I usually do it up with the ratio of half-covering the fairly evenly broken up ABS pieces. So if there is an inch of plastic bits at the bottom of the jar, I put a half inch of acetone in. This will make a fairly thick consistency glue which is good for working on vertical surfaces or 'patching holes'. If you want it thinner, then add a touch more acetone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-g3TN48gvw Here ya go!

Ive done that but all I get is a thick glue. Adding more acetone dosnt make it thinner. Ill try to add some photos and comparison to the Bondene.

Smitty

I just do cut up abs scraps with acetone, and I usually have a usable glue within 3 hours.

Ive done that but all I get is a thick glue. Adding more acetone dosnt make it thinner. Ill try to add some photos and comparison to the Bondene.
Smitty

Mine was like that for a while, but when I just shook the jar for a couple minutes it turned into a goop.  You have to agitate it pretty aggressively.

Hey op7ical,

Im in O town also. Work across from UCF.

As for the glue, I shake it like crazy and it just stays in a blob. Kinda like a blob in a lava lamp. I can use it as glue but it is thick and goopy. If applied to the glass and spread around with paper towel, it gets messy real quick. I am going to take some photos and post later today.

I ordered some more Plastruct Bondene as it works amazingly good. Just expensive.

Smitty

Im in O town also. Work across from UCF.

Cool stuff!  Good to finally have another Solidoodler in town.  I'm doing my PhD at UCF right now so I live nearby. 

As for the glue, I shake it like crazy and it just stays in a blob. Kinda like a blob in a lava lamp. I can use it as glue but it is thick and goopy. If applied to the glass and spread around with paper towel, it gets messy real quick. I am going to take some photos and post later today.

Yeah lava lamp is probably pretty accurate, haha.  I didn't like using it for glass at the end of the day because of the messiness.  It probably just comes down to the right ratio of acetone and ABS.  I think this thicker consistency will be pretty useful for bonding objects, though.  It would be cool to see some comparison of effectiveness for welds between Plastruct and ABS glue.

I really think we need to find a consistent answer to this bonding question!  What is the strongest glue??

What will have the strongest tensile and peel strength in dry, stable temperature, conditions: ABS "glue" or something else?

For instance, cyanoacrilate (super glue) bonds are sometimes stronger than their base materials.  They offer poor temperature, humidity and peel reistance though.  Urethane adhesives have good temperature, humidity, and peel resistance, but they lack tensile strength.  Theoretically, being the base material, ABS should also be the best glue material.  I'm not sure how well the glue bonds form though in terms of polymerization though.  We get great bonds by thermally extruding this stuff, but the bonds from acetone form in a different (probably less strong) way.

Does anyone know of anyone who has done a pull test with ABS glue?  This is a very basic piece of data that we all need.  I will buy a force gauge at some point, and may test this, but it may take a while as I am growing my start-up business right now.

I don't care about fixing printing issues, the real reason this is important is that many of us want to print out objects large than our print bed, which must therefor be assembled out of bonded pieces!  Perhaps I should just heat weld parts together with a mini blow torch, after incorporating jigsaw joints in them. 

Anyone else have a better idea?

-Aron

Just some words from what I have experienced.

I just tried the acetone+abs scraps (thick goop) to glue the fan shroud to the mk3 adapter and it works as a glue very good. A bit hard to work with but will work. Becomes unworkable within seconds and will stick to any tool you are using to apply and takes a couples hours to harden depending on thickness of goop.

Good for gap filling.
Makes a mess applied to glass for printing.
~7.00 qt

I have used Bondene for years. It bonds "similar" plastics very good. It is a liquid and wicks into seams fast. Drys within minutes.

Not good for gap filling.
mixed with scrap abs stays thin and works great on glass.
~$5.00 for 2oz

Smitty

@Smitty505000:  I use model cement for scale models... I believe the cement is using this chemical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone
or MEK
not sure where you can get it in large quantity thou :-( I wish this helps.

Solidoodle2 with Ceramic tile heated bed http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2544/my- … eated-bed/
"1kg should last for an while" is a lie!

12 (edited by RavensCrest 2013-06-02 01:26:35)

I did some comparison on this post http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2646/tes … r-for-abs/

Solidoodle2 with Ceramic tile heated bed http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2544/my- … eated-bed/
"1kg should last for an while" is a lie!

hmmm... getting ideas. i just worked a chemical tanker of 80,000 barrels of MEK the other day. should have kept an extra sample! haha.

though i think ive seen it in cans at the hardware store. MEK is just a different member of the same family as acetone (ketones). that may be why it works better.