Topic: Shutdown cleaning operations

So- how does one shut a solidoodle down for the day? Do you leave the filament in the extruder, or do you clip it just above the acryllic, then run the remainder through? Is it alright to let filament cool in the extruder, and just start it up again, like a Nordson case sealer?

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

Re: Shutdown cleaning operations

There will always be plastic cooling in the hot end.  Once it gets past the gear, you can't push it through anymore.  I would recommend clipping it and putting the spool away if it is in a humid, non climate controlled environment, like a midwestern garage in June.  Otherwise it is usually ok to leave the spool on.

Between prints, I'm trying to get in the habit of dropping the extruder to 100 if it will be idling for awhile.   I figure that is low enough to prevent burned ABS clogging things up, but won't require as much time to get back up to temp.