Re: Entirely new Printable Extruder and X-carriage Assembly.

Are the native design files available? STEP at least?
Would be nice to be able to easily modify the models if desired.

So far I'm really liking this design! But I have noted a few problems:

1. It's just a hair too narrow to hit the x axis stop. I solved this by adding a few layers of masking tape to the side.

2. It leans a bit forward toward the hot-end. Doesn't seem to affect prints though.

3. A J-head hot end is a very tight fit. I had to sand quite a bit to get it to fit. But that could be an over-extrusion problem.

Otherwise this design seems very sturdy. While I loved Lawsy's MK-4 design the filament tension arm seemed a bit flimsy as I went through quite a few. It also seemed to be a bit more prone to filament tangles than this design. I feel like I could smack this extuder around with no problem.

28 (edited by nlancaster 2013-06-16 22:32:54)

Puck, glad you like it.

Mine hits the extruder stop no problem, even sticks out from the bearing holder a fraction just like the origonal wood block did on the OEM hotend.  Not sure whats going on with your print, is your printer calibrated in x-y for proper size?

If its leaning the extruder forward is the motor or fan house hitting anything?  Or do you have a slight ridge on the base of the print form over extrusion?

And yes my j-head was a perfect fin in mine, could be some slight over extrusion. Also keep in mind the head is designed to be clamped between the extruder base and the carriage base, just slightly.

And yes I was always kind of concerned about how flimsy lawsy's tension arm was.  this is much tougher.

I calibrated the flow rate, it was over by 13%. I think that caused all my pieces to come out a bit too thick. I'm going to re-print the carriage and block and see if that helps as I had to sand it down to even get the PTFE to insert. If that doesn't help I may have abnormally thick PTFE blocks.

My switch tab may be bent inward as well.

Switching from the MK4 to this I had to add length to the Z axis stop screw with some small neodymium magnets. I wonder if it would be possible to mount the hot end a bit higher in by raising the notch tab to the top of the carriage and making the recess in the extruder base deeper to accommodate it.  This would increase the build height a tiny bit and possibly eliminate the chance of tangles all together. I'd rather have filament stripped out than have a huge ball of tangle everywhere. hehe

Just an idea.

Also: I noticed that the space to the left of the extruder gear is perfect for the head of a tooth brush. I wonder if anyone has ever thought to mount one (or any type of small brush) in order to keep the teeth free of filament dust. It's good to brush your teeth.

Not having my printer yet, so I cant advise clearly.  Yet you may find you need a brush that turns (geared off the stepper motor?) while the feed is going.  A stationary brush will only help hold the dust.

I am an open book, write on my pages that I may learn the wisdom that you posses.

My first post so be gentle lol

I have printed out all of the parts,but where do we get the 2 white parts from please?

Those are little blocks of Teflon (ptfe) Teflon is a self lubricating plastic it has really good chemical resistance too.

MolecularConcept wrote:

Those are little blocks of Teflon (ptfe) Teflon is a self lubricating plastic it has really good chemical resistance too.

Where would I find this in the uk?

I am in the US so don't have any first hand experience there... but did a little searching an came up with some links... most of this is round bar but should suffice just use it on edge or get a bigger piece and cut it square, you may also be able to find other items made from it in hardware stores just made for other purposes... like drawer glides and such...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos … 3Aptfe+rod

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/PTFERod/12mm/

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/samples … 600-0.html

Found some very cheap on ebay.co.uk if anyones interested 300923121206

very good price ,should fit with some cutting /sanding

What are you guys chasing teflon for curiously ? The above designs use bearings alone - no teflon busings...

So perhaps some clarification from castaway1200 on what exactly he is chasing and why would be good... smile

37 (edited by castaway1200 2013-06-26 13:28:46)

adrian wrote:

What are you guys chasing teflon for curiously ? The above designs use bearings alone - no teflon busings...

So perhaps some clarification from castaway1200 on what exactly he is chasing and why would be good... smile

I was referring to the 2 white blocks in the photos on page one. they are ptfe

castaway1200 wrote:
adrian wrote:

Confusion reigns - on my behalf. For some reason I was thinking this was Lawsy's thread, which doesn't use the PTFE blocks. But yes, nlancaster's does.  My apologies. Was using my phone today mostly so it sometimes gets confusing on a 5" screen wink

You can of course, just reuse the ones on your existing Solidoodle Carriage - the two PTFE blocks come off the rear of the existing carriage

adrian wrote:
castaway1200 wrote:
adrian wrote:

Confusion reigns - on my behalf. For some reason I was thinking this was Lawsy's thread, which doesn't use the PTFE blocks. But yes, nlancaster's does.  My apologies. Was using my phone today mostly so it sometimes gets confusing on a 5" screen wink

You can of course, just reuse the ones on your existing Solidoodle Carriage - the two PTFE blocks come off the rear of the existing carriage

No problem,Iv ordered some now,Think i will keep the original ones on the machine just in case.

Yes it was designed to use parts from the origonal carriage.  I have since moved my speeds upto 150mm/s fast moves and printing at 120mm/s.

That being said now that I have seen what Lawsy did with linear bearings, I am want to move to those big_smile

nlancaster wrote:

Yes it was designed to use parts from the origonal carriage.  I have since moved my speeds upto 150mm/s fast moves and printing at 120mm/s.

That being said now that I have seen what Lawsy did with linear bearings, I am want to move to those big_smile

I tried setting mine up that high and kept getting stripped filament. =o(

Maybe tighten the tension arm?  Make sure your filament can unspool freely.

You will also need to up the extrusion temp to allow for the increased flow required.

good point lawsy

My tension arm screw hole was broken in the back the entire time. I wish I had an aluminum one or something. =o\ I go through them like candy.

Forgive the newbie question, but will this work on the SD 3?