Topic: Z backlash on new Aluminum bed

Just unpacked my SD3 and have the new Aluminum bed! It has what looks to be a threaded insert pressed in and 4 small empty (3mm?) holes around it. See attached pic. Thinking about a new type of nut hugger. Should be easy to come up with. Can use 4 alignment screws for it to ride on with spring in between.

Smitty

Post's attachments

alumbottom.JPG
alumbottom.JPG 2.2 mb, 2 downloads since 2013-05-07 

alumtop.JPG
alumtop.JPG 2.16 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Z backlash on new Aluminum bed

/me wants aluminum bed, before doing further mods to work platform hold down system.

Are there any more noticeable changes?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

So far I have no banding with the new aluminum bed. I know there is slop as I can hear and feel it when I grab the bed and try to push it up and down. Could it be the weight alone that is keeping it from showing up as banding on the print? Im not making any anti backlash mod if I dont have to. smile

Smitty

Sorry satman49, Im not sure if there are any other changes. Im not familiar with earlier model SD3's.

Smitty

Yeah, I'll post some pics soon, but I got a replacement aluminium platform.

The z-axis limit tab is changed, its more to the left and off center and taller than the original one.
The platform is also a lot more stable and rigid, but other than that, its the same.

With the new aluminum bed and Lawsey's Mk4 extruder and 3/32" thick glass, my Z limit screw is only sticking down about 1 mm below the Z tab! If you use Lawsey's Mk3 or 4, you need glass or you will have to flip the Z tab.

Smitty