Topic: New to 3d printing software advice required.

Hi all,

I am about to place my order for an S3 "hurrah!" While I'm waiting for it to be delivered I would like some software advice so I can get practicing!

I have google sketch up, and autodesk 123d both of which I can kind of use. I also have autocad 3d but I am useless at it and find all the commands infuriating.

I keep reading about slicing software and software to chop files into smaller sections for output can anyone advise what I need preferably free stuff?

Cheers

Re: New to 3d printing software advice required.

All of the slicing software and printing software is available as a free download. Solidoodle has their prefered software linked on their website. Repetier Host and Pronterface are two of the pieces of software that most on this forum use to connect to the printers and print models (STL exported files from CAD). The Slicer software slices the model into Gcode which is used by the printer software. Repetier Host includes both Slic3r and Skeinforge in the download. Solidoodle provides the settings for .3mm and .1mm printing for the Slic3r program. Pronterface includes Skeinforge as well as all of the solidoodle settings if you download their version. Some people have had great success with KISSlicer for slicing models as well. This is a separate program in which you slice the model, then save the Gcode file. You then open your Printing software and load the Gcode to print. If you search the forum for any of these names, you can find configurations that others have used as well.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Re: New to 3d printing software advice required.

Thanks ever so much I'll start with these and see how many more questions this throws up lol

Cheers