1 (edited by satman49 2013-04-28 03:54:35)

Topic: slic3r, large files

I am trying to slice a rather large file in  Slic3r--- 45MB, keep getting out of memory error.  PC memory?  I am running XP32bit  , 4 gig of ram. lol I know XP can't use it all.Has anybody sliced a file that size?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Re: slic3r, large files

Resample the STL.

Sorry I am not familiar with that.How do I do that?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

blender can decimate a stl down to a lower polycount.

This video has a section about it somewhere in there but it might be faster to google for a walk thru.

I had a large STL that could not be reduced very well (although I was trying MeshLab and don't know it too well) and decided to try the RH Skeinforge for slicing, and it worked.  The downside was needing to calibrate/optimize the slicer profile.

Cheers,
Fred
Fredrick C. Hagemeister
http://blog.richmond.edu/ti3d

6 (edited by ysb 2013-04-28 18:31:33)

strange...meshlab do a pretty good job for polygon decimations..

fredhag wrote:

I had a large STL that could not be reduced very well (although I was trying MeshLab and don't know it too well) and decided to try the RH Skeinforge for slicing, and it worked.  The downside was needing to calibrate/optimize the slicer profile.

The next version of our installer will have this fixed.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

This problem has been on the forums before. You may find more answers by googling and searching the forums.

that said, there is a setting in slic3r for how many threads you run. Sometimes for bigger units I need to go down to 1 thread instead of 2, and then I won't run out of memory. Other times the memory problem is because I need to run my stl through netfabb because there are structural problems.

satman49 wrote:

I am trying to slice a rather large file in  Slic3r--- 45MB, keep getting out of memory error.  PC memory?  I am running XP32bit  , 4 gig of ram. lol I know XP can't use it all.Has anybody sliced a file that size?

I'm using Mesh Lab to deciminate the mesh.  Under filters, quadric edge decimination, by percentage.  Works well, if you don;t reduce too much at one time.  Deciminate 50 percent, then save, and open again and do it over again.  If you deciminate too much, your model will degrade.  Also reduce # of threads in slic3r.

I'm having trouble slicing some files in Slicer, also.  I will try changing the thread to 1 in a bit.  Question... What does the thread setting do?

Anyway, I had another question... I did a quick search but did not find anything on it.  What memory is Slicer using?  Is it referring to RAM or HD space?  I have 2 gigs of ram but my HD is pretty crowded.  I have another one ready to replace it... I just hate installing windows.  Lol.

The latest file I tried it on was ysb's Huntress bust.  I got it to slice at half the size of the original, but could not get it to slice at full size.

11 (edited by ysb 2013-06-03 00:19:13)

Use kissclicer for big model...

The thread are like the core of your processor. The good use [for fast slicing .. more thread= more speed] is to set thread to the number of your processor core. The problem is each thread use the same amount of memory...and virtual memory is not good for this.. so if you didn't have a ssd drive, it's your real RAM that count...

So for your system and xp with only 4go.. set thread to 1... or use kisslicer that didn't have this memory management problem...[and is hundred time faster]

ysb... Thanks for your reply.  I saw your ini files for kissclicer, yesterday, and plan on trying them.  I often do not get to play with my printer until the weekend.  I'm still tweaking my printer, but this weekend showed much improvement.  Your huntress bust, that I printed this weekend, is my prize print at the moment.  You do awesome work.

I hope you get around to telling us your tips and tricks you use to design models without the need of supports.

Thanks again.