Topic: Filastruder's impact on the filament market

Wizardtkax -   Hello Takax here again. Just wondering if it would be alright to open a new filastruder thread dedicate to the newly forming community that will be getting to know each other better as each kit is put together over the next few months. I'm new here so just thought I'd check before tasking a divergent thread to your universe of soliforum perhaps early birds could disperse samples to regional neighbors. To get some cross qualified testing going. Wondering how this will change the Amazon ebay community, do we have a contingency for niche market competition, is it filastruder vs commercial filament, these are important issues I feel when opening new market destabilizing technology. To be discussed by democratic action of said change agents. Takax over and out.

I don't think home extruders will have too much effect on the commercial market so long as they are just used to make what can already be bought more conveniently.  The real value comes in the ability to make filament in custom colors in small quantities rather than buying a full kg of each color you want, and experimenting with different materials if you are able to source them.  Getting material in small quantities can be difficult through normal channels since we are turning an industrial process into a home hobby.  I think as more people get extruders we are going to see some creative solutions to that problem.  I think more varieties of pellets will start showing up on Ebay as people invest in large minimum orders of what they want to use, and subsidize the cost by selling the extra.

Re: Filastruder's impact on the filament market

@Ian, you're probably right, people often tell me I overthink things and one person's selling finished filament will not effect the market any more than one person using their filastruder to eliminate the buying of filament from market demand. Though 800+ people getting filastruder over the next few months creates a much bigger margin for the subtraction from market consumption and a shift in demand to pellets which given their common use, our chunk of the market will have little over all effect. I look forward to a response in master batch availability. Then they spoke as makers, let creativity run long and free.

Maybe the filament sellers will start offering pellets as well, and hopefully masterbatch.  They would already be set up for buying a 25kg bag of colorant and splitting it out.  OS Printing has a head start in that department, and hopefully the revenue from their part of the Filastruder business will help them put together a decent selection.

Where I really could see this making a difference is selling 1 foot strands in custom colors for the 3Doodler. From what I understand Wobbleworks is selling 10 strands for 5.00.

The basic masterbatch for OSP, is pretty solid from their various posts on kickstarter, what I am hoping their first waves of pellets sales from the filastruder launch will allow them to start stocking strontium aluminate masterbatch glow pellets. Which from my sourcing is pretty often at least $100/kg,  and one supplier informed me that diluting the glow pigment greatly diminishes its photon emission, also clear bases are best used, to allow ease of photon transmission. On the note of support filament, extruding PVA offers a very good footing in a market that is growing in demand. If suppliers work in volume, many more makers can start printing "impossible" complex objects for cheaper than e r before. A win.

I am personally working with starting with raw pigment powder to see what tolerances the filastruder shows for mixing pellets and powders simultaneously. Once again as with all my experiments may end in a bloody mess and many happily answered questions, leading to the next generation of questions.

It would be interesting to have home users creating and selling filament to cut down on the costs of shipping filament from china. Although, do the pellets come from china? tongue

China or the supplier I am talking to is in Indonesai I think. The truest goal would be  to get domestic pellet distribution going but commercial pellet makers start around $2000 let me double check that figure.brb.

Alibaba returns for plastic Pelletizer, lowest quote, $500-2500 and monstrous machines topping out around $180000... but with a backyard foundry and lost pla casting, one could be made for around a grand plus the huge amount of time for designing all the unique parts to be printed, then you'd also want a wood gasifier to make bio crude to further refine plastics from said hydrocarbon goop.

Huh? There are already domestic pellet suppliers.

elmoret wrote:

Huh? There are already domestic pellet suppliers.

Not that I am aware of, just saying getting domestic supply of pellets is a corner stone to self reliant printing. Maybe some one who passes this thread will be the first to take this step.

store.osprintingllc.com, for starters. You can also buy from eBay, and companies like Sabic directly. I have 1100lbs of MG94 coming in this week.

It worries me that people know about the Filastruder but not OS Printing... sad

ouch i'd say that is an issue. Are you partnered with them? Ive no idea on you official situation. I have to admit i saw the filastruder a while back and only just realized you created it, and it was also the first i heard of them. Have you thought about just changing the name to include theirs? or selling it through their website only?

Tim, is a truck and forklift going to show up at your house?  I've never ordered 1000lbs of anything.

IanJohnson wrote:

Tim, is a truck and forklift going to show up at your house?  I've never ordered 1000lbs of anything.

Not at my house - they won't do residential addresses. A friend of mine runs a body shop, I'm having it delivered there (in 55lb bags) and picking it up with my Frontier.

elmoret wrote:

Not at my house - they won't do residential addresses. A friend of mine runs a body shop, I'm having it delivered there (in 55lb bags) and picking it up with my Frontier.

Lots of weighing and bag transfer in your future, I see.

cckens wrote:

Lots of weighing and bag transfer in your future, I see.

That's what friends are for!

Luckily I don't have to weigh each bag - just use the same size measuring cup. It's not bad, I can do about 4 bags a minute which is 400 bags over the course of a movie. I think the most tedious part is knocking out nozzles on the drill press, though I made a jig for that.

18 (edited by Staffordknot 2013-04-30 17:30:12)

How do you mix colours in abs? I thought you bought high density dye tablets but how does that work with the hopper? Or can you buy died pellets?

My brain took a break, I meant, domestic manufacture, not just distributing of pellets from abroad. Unless we manage to over throw the petrol-cartels and push hydrogen infrastructure, then it wouldn't matter where the pellets come from, since the carbon foot print will all be the same the world over.

Staffordknot wrote:

How do you mix colours in abs? I thought you bought high density dye tablets but how does that work with the hopper? Or can you buy died pellets?

Pigmented pellets, also known as master batch is a mixture of chemical colorant and specific polymer you choose to work with, be it pla, abs, pc, pe, pu,  pva, pp, pvc or any number of other synth'd plast. Just remember to always make sure you are working with matching master batch type with base plastic, to keep melting point of said plastic balanced.

wizardtakax wrote:

My brain took a break, I meant, domestic manufacture, not just distributing of pellets from abroad. Unless we manage to over throw the petrol-cartels and push hydrogen infrastructure, then it wouldn't matter where the pellets come from, since the carbon foot print will all be the same the world over.

As far as I know, Sabic MG94 (what OSP and I are distributing) is made in the US. I buy it from Sabic Americas, Inc. which manages sales, marketing, business development, manufacturing, and research and technology throughout the Americas.

I know their warehouse is in North Carolina. Hope that helps!

Much of the ABS filament sold for printing is made from Chei Mei PA747 which is made in China, though it might be extruded in the US depending on the seller.   Most PLA is from Natureworks which is in Nebraska.