Topic: Solidoodle Tear Down

Has anyone disassembled the entire printer?

Is that stuff on the carriages glue?

How can I take apart the carriages without using a hammer?

Also it's recommended to use multipurpose lithium grease, I went to Walmart and they've only got Moly-Lithium stuff. Can I use any multi-purpose grease or can I use the Moly stuff? It says recommended for high pressurized parts... Will it still work?

I'm thinking of redesigning all the printed parts and want to reuse all bearings and rods n stuff.

Thanks peeps.

Re: Solidoodle Tear Down

Several tear downs here! smile

The rods are glued into the side carriages. You should be able to reuse them even if your disassembly is destructive. I would highly suggest replacing the bushings with flanged bearings. You can use a hot hobby knife or a dremel tool to cut through the plastic to remove the rods. I'm not sure about the different greases, but amazon will get you the proper grease for a couple of bucks in a couple of days.

I got a tube of #2 multi purpose lithium grease gun grease at my local auto supply.
Their is enough grease in that tube to last years.

Ultimaker S3.

jooshs wrote:

Several tear downs here! smile

The rods are glued into the side carriages. You should be able to reuse them even if your disassembly is destructive. I would highly suggest replacing the bushings with flanged bearings. You can use a hot hobby knife or a dremel tool to cut through the plastic to remove the rods. I'm not sure about the different greases, but amazon will get you the proper grease for a couple of bucks in a couple of days.

Sweet, are there any suggestions on what or what not to do while it's apart? Would you know what kind of glue? Does it come off easily from the bushings and rods or do I have to soak them in acetone? Im a bit old fashioned (impatient) and don't like waiting for things in the mail if its possible, so id rather pick up the grease at a store instead.

Do you guys have any websites that carry bushings/rods/printer related stuff that you guys use all the time? I was also thinking of adding fans to the motors n swapping out the atmega 644p for a 1284p (preferably with bootloader)

dubbsd wrote:

I got a tube of #2 multi purpose lithium grease gun grease at my local auto supply.
Their is enough grease in that tube to last years.

Yeah the tube of grease looks like it could be used in a caulk gun. I think ill go to autozone or something and grab a tube.

I have had them ripped apart almost all the way... haven't pulled the x rods yet... been thinking about it though as my x bearing is getting a little play. I changed out the y bearings to linears because of play and while I was in there went ahead and threw some ball bearings on the y shaft, was pretty simple and straight forward... had to ream the holes just a teeny bit but the 6x13x5 flanged press right in smile

http://i.imgur.com/kMIJ5Wr.jpg

6 (edited by jerseydevil 2013-04-13 17:51:59)

ronsii wrote:

I have had them ripped apart almost all the way... haven't pulled the x rods yet... been thinking about it though as my x bearing is getting a little play. I changed out the y bearings to linears because of play and while I was in there went ahead and threw some ball bearings on the y shaft, was pretty simple and straight forward... had to ream the holes just a teeny bit but the 6x13x5 flanged press right in smile

That is hysterical.  I did the same thing to mine (then changed it up for 1/4" in the back).  However, I use GT2 belts now.

Danger: 'Addams Family' sense of humor.

Yeah, just to keep it cheap I didn't bother changing out the shaft and associated pulleys... the ball bearings were just under a buck apiece and the linears were $1.40 I looked at just replacing the bushings but at 3 bucks each before shipping http://www.ultibots.com/8mm-bronze-bushing-4-pack/ I figured I try these... seem to be working great smile although it was working great before I changed all that too.

8 (edited by jerseydevil 2013-04-17 14:07:57)

ronsii wrote:

Yeah, just to keep it cheap I didn't bother changing out the shaft and associated pulleys... the ball bearings were just under a buck apiece and the linears were $1.40 I looked at just replacing the bushings but at 3 bucks each before shipping http://www.ultibots.com/8mm-bronze-bushing-4-pack/ I figured I try these... seem to be working great smile although it was working great before I changed all that too.

Mine was having some issues.  I ordered my bearings from VXB and my gear pulley from SDP-SI.
My next point of 'adjustment' will be that Z axis.

However, I have a CNC plasma table I'm working on at the moment so it has to wait.

Danger: 'Addams Family' sense of humor.

Where do you get GT2 belts and what size are they?

10 (edited by MeshMoth 2013-04-18 06:16:28)

Yes, id like to upgrade my belts as well. I think i've over tensioned my belts and my X?(front to back) belt fibers are fraying out the sides. Wish there was a better way of tensioning than "a little bit of twang."

MeshMoth wrote:

Yes, id like to upgrade my belts as well. I think i've over tensioned my belts and my X?(front to back) belt fibers are fraying out the sides. Wish there was a better way of tensioning than "a little bit of twang."

We're curious:
Which varieties of alternative belts are Solidoodle users using?
Do users who do a full tear down remove their carriages? Did you feel replacing the carriages was easy? Specifically the printed parts - were these removed?

Let us know - we want to hear feedback from you guys.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

solidoodlesupport wrote:
MeshMoth wrote:

We're curious:
Do users who do a full tear down remove their carriages? Did you feel replacing the carriages was easy? Specifically the printed parts - were these removed?

It's all easy to do with the exception of the printed parts that are glued to the x-rails.

elmoret wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:
MeshMoth wrote:

We're curious:

It's all easy to do with the exception of the printed parts that are glued to the x-rails.

That's what we're curious about. Anyone torn those off?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.