Topic: Hi from Illinois, USA

Received mine today!  I'm an abstract (mostly) sculptor in Central IL. 

I design on PC and have been paying incredibly expensive jobber services to print maquettes of my work.  I'm really looking forward to printing my own!

Re: Hi from Illinois, USA

Can you give us some idea of what you have paid for stuff like this in the past? I have a few companies wanting me to make a few parts for them, but I have no basis on how much to charge.

Shout out to Munich!  Die besten bier der welt!

Prices vary wildly.  But I've paid $80 for a 3-inch model (with lots of undercuts).

To be honest, you should figure out how much you value your time at, how many hours you think you'll get out of your solidoodle, how much filament you'll use, and how much it costs for you for power, the computer, the extra room in your apartment, etc...don't forget a profit for your business, you'll need to buy a new computer and a new solidoodle someday.

e.g. (1 hour at $20) + (1 hour / 500 hour lifespan of solidoodle = $1) + (100 grams filament = $3.50) + (overhead = $10) + (profit=$10) = $44.50

I'm pulling those numbers out of my wazoo,  (I have no idea yet about the lifespan of the S2, or how quickly it prints).  Anyway, those are the types of thing you need to consider.

If you want to go from the other direction, many of your "competitors" have automated quote systems.  Download their quote software, or upload your model...then underbid.   The obvious danger is that you may end up not covering your time, expenses, etc.

roughtyper wrote:

Shout out to Munich!  Die besten bier der welt!

Prices vary wildly.  But I've paid $80 for a 3-inch model (with lots of undercuts).

To be honest, you should figure out how much you value your time at, how many hours you think you'll get out of your solidoodle, how much filament you'll use, and how much it costs for you for power, the computer, the extra room in your apartment, etc...don't forget a profit for your business, you'll need to buy a new computer and a new solidoodle someday.

e.g. (1 hour at $20) + (1 hour / 500 hour lifespan of solidoodle = $1) + (100 grams filament = $3.50) + (overhead = $10) + (profit=$10) = $44.50

I'm pulling those numbers out of my wazoo,  (I have no idea yet about the lifespan of the S2, or how quickly it prints).  Anyway, those are the types of thing you need to consider.

If you want to go from the other direction, many of your "competitors" have automated quote systems.  Download their quote software, or upload your model...then underbid.   The obvious danger is that you may end up not covering your time, expenses, etc.

The Solidoodle seems to hold up fairly well. We have had units that have survived 6 months of continuous 50 hour printing weeks. I think this speaks well to the survivability of the printer.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.