1 (edited by frozensoda 2013-04-12 16:08:18)

Topic: Hello from IL

Well I guess I should introduce myself for my 100th post.

My name is Shane and I own a Solidoodle 3.

I am very happy to be part of this community and I am amazed at all of the knowledge and expertise contained within it. I have gotten over several problems with the help of the forum. I am currently 17 hours into a 20 hour print with no major issues to speak of. I have installed a glass bed and an additional heater for the bed, but other than that my machine is stock. I am going to install a heat sink on the bottom of my x-axis motor next to help with cooling without having to add a fan. Most of my prints have been failures due to settings or sticking issues. I have however gotten more comfortable with it now and I think that things are finally looking up for my Solidoodle adventure.

I will use this post as an opportunity to share two issues that I have.

My extruder temperature is wildly inaccurate( a total shift of about 20 degrees up and down) and I have found that if the g-code is more than a couple hundred thousand lines that I have to keep repetier in the manual control tab or else the print head stops moving due to lag from the preview. If anyone has answers for these problems I welcome it, but neither is enough to stop a print in it's tracks.

I do have a Z-banding issue but I think it is due to the temperature fluctuations in the extruder.

Thanks again to all the great minds on this forum and I look forward to actually contributing something in the future.

I edit my posts a lot.

Re: Hello from IL

I thought I was the only IL guy in here.

3 (edited by iowajames 2013-04-12 16:39:14)

I'm from Davenport, IA. Right across the Mississississississppi.

Edit: I'd put Midwest represent in my sig, but it sounds retarded.

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

cmetzel wrote:

I thought I was the only IL guy in here.

Rockford, IL reporting in! big_smile

I edit my posts a lot.

You need to set your PID settings

http://www.soliwiki.com/PID_tuning#Repe … _Procedure

pcpoirier wrote:

You need to set your PID settings

http://www.soliwiki.com/PID_tuning#Repe … _Procedure

OK! I will try this when the current print is done, and record my findings. Thank you!

I edit my posts a lot.

I thought you already went through the PID before, that's why I didn't suggest it.  I think I suggested that your thermistor might be loose or not properly oriented.  Maybe that was someone else though.  If you haven't done it already PID should solve your temp swings. 

I'm in the Northwest burbs BTW

Welcome! Didn't know there were so many Illinois friends here!

Welcome!

Also as a side note to cmetzel, I'm in the NW suburbs as well! Schaumburg area!

I ran the PID tuning and now have less than 3 degree variation. BTW for other newbs its alot easier then I thought it was really simple.

I edit my posts a lot.