Topic: One object.. multiple profiles. Possible?

I would like to print an object using different profiles (0.3mm, 0.2mm, 0.1mm) and different fill density values. One though is to slice the object using different settings but I am guessing the dimension of the object is going to change, meaning that line 120 is not going to be the same for 0.3 Vs 0.1 profile,  is this assumption correct? Is there any software that can do this?

Thank you in advance for your help,

CB

2 (edited by Gordym 2013-04-12 15:46:00)

Re: One object.. multiple profiles. Possible?

CB,

The printed object should be the same size regardless of the slicer profile you use. However, the number of lines in the Gcode will increase from .3 to .2 and .1. Because the layers are thinner, you will theoretically need 2 additional layers at .1 resolution to create the same height you would at .3.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

The .stl file is the object. When you slice the .stl files it converts it into the printable format(the g code file), slicing at .3 just makes less divisions/slices than .1 the dimensions are still the same in the final print... or should be smile

You can do this but you have to do it manually and need a basic understanding of gcode.  You need to find the line where you want to stop the .3mm gcode in Z height, delete everything after it.  Find the same Z height (+.1mm) in the .1mm gcode, delete everything before it.  Then you add the .1mm gcode to the end of the .3mm gcode and run that.  I know Ian did it already, if I remember right it was on his blog and not here.

cmetzel wrote:

You can do this but you have to do it manually and need a basic understanding of gcode.  You need to find the line where you want to stop the .3mm gcode in Z height, delete everything after it.  Find the same Z height (+.1mm) in the .1mm gcode, delete everything before it.  Then you add the .1mm gcode to the end of the .3mm gcode and run that.  I know Ian did it already, if I remember right it was on his blog and not here.

At the splice point, I think you would also want the start gcode from the second file where it sets the layer height, infill, etc. so that those setting actually change before you start the new layers.

Manually like this is the only way I can see to do it.