1 (edited by frozensoda 2013-04-13 23:11:17)

Topic: Small upgrades that don't deserve a thread... thread

Title says it all

I took apart a candle warmer hot pate and installed it on the bed under the cloth stuff it heated up about 20% quicker.

I edit my posts a lot.

Re: Small upgrades that don't deserve a thread... thread

A candle warmer element would also be useful if you wanted to heat up acetone for a vapor chamber.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

http://i.imgur.com/2Sopgna.jpg

A picture is worth 1000 words. I couldn't explain what this is any better.

I edit my posts a lot.

A 9 volt battery taped to the extruder??

5 (edited by frozensoda 2013-06-06 03:55:00)

is that dangerous?

It was more of a joke than anything I was just testing it for one print to see any difference in quality. I didnt even bolt the plastic part on i just press fitted it

I edit my posts a lot.

Not dangerous at all, other than it might come loose and start bouncing around. It just might be a better longterm solution to hardwire it to the Sanguinololu.

well in that case it was permanent I just didn't want to seem stupid lol

I edit my posts a lot.

8 (edited by adrian 2013-06-06 07:33:43)

Only downside is 9V batteries have an average of 550maH's supply... on a 20ma fan, it'll only run for 15 hours or so before it drops off in voltage to the point of being ineffective...

Much better off just attaching it to the 12v supply using a longer cable...

9V's are a bit of a misnomer... modern AA's have more current available at a lower resistance... you'd get it running longer using 8AA's than 1 x 9V....

9 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-06-08 04:48:02)

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/extruder_cal_tube.jpg

Simple inline cal tube with 1 cm marks. Easiest way to calibrate extruder. I am sure someone else has this but I haven't seen it.

Just make a mark with a permanent marker at the end of the tube. extrude 100mm or whatever you want and measure the difference from the nearest graduation.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I am gonna adopt that tube thing I think big_smile

I edit my posts a lot.

Not a mod but a cheap trick to heat up the bed faster.

I was eager to start a print yesterday and cheated by using a hot air blow gun and moving the hot air flow around the table and I was up at over 90 degrees in about 5 minutes instead of the usual 30 minutes.

Kajakmannen. Designer and hobbyist. My parts sofar:
Solidoodle 3 enclosure --> thing:125599 on thingiverse
Nema23 stepper fan mount --> thing:125611 on thingiverse

kajakmannen wrote:

Not a mod but a cheap trick to heat up the bed faster.

I was eager to start a print yesterday and cheated by using a hot air blow gun and moving the hot air flow around the table and I was up at over 90 degrees in about 5 minutes instead of the usual 30 minutes.

30 minutes to heat the bed?!? My new SD3 heats up in like 10 without any other heating decives

Just an idea I wanted to see if people had any thoughts about.

When the filament doesn't feed evenly for any reason -- partial clog, uneven thickness, etc. -- the toothed wheel can strip a bit of filament, leaving flakes and dust that stick in the teeth.  Which makes the wheel more slippery, which makes it strip more dust, and so on.  Even a small amount of slippage can snowball.

I was thinking of taking a little piece of an old toothbrush and mounting it so that it lightly brushes against the side of the toothed wheel opposite the filament as it turns.  Any stripping of filament would get brushed off as it forms, thus preventing the snowballing.

Would this cause some kind of problem, or if there's any reason it's a bad idea?

Hunter, I see your question is a few days old but, it looks like it should work to me. The bristles would eventually get distorted and become ineffective but it may be worth the effort. Maybe just blow out the debris once in a while?

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

You would think they would get distorted, however, doesn't the extruder retract a little bit a million times during a print? That might make the toothbrush bristles last longer.

Have you ever cleaned the cutting threads from a tap? You dont brush them out perpendicular to the threads, you clean them out parallel. I would think that the bristles would start shaving off over time.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Ah.  Maybe as part of a really interesting head design you could have a servo and brush wheel that swing in on a cleaning cycle every X minutes during a print.  Though that starts to get weighty, I don't think it would matter, as tiny servos weigh practically nothing.

conversely, are we coming up with a solution thats seeking a problem ? wink

In my daily operation of the SD, since January, I've brushed out my filament drive cog maybe... once ?

If you can work me through not ever having anything on my cog, I'd be happy as a clam, but no one's come close to figuring out why I'm having the filament strip.

you have a very good point adrian.  The only time I ever have to clean my cog is when I'm dumb and adjust the bed incorrectly and cause it to strip the filament.  Other then that, I never clean it.

i have been wanting a fan for my stepper drivers  but i can design anything in 3d besides a cube lol so this is waht i came up with to keep my steppers cool ..... nevermind  i cant upload pictures from my computer!? that uber gay...

ill have to describe it then i ziptied a 40mm fan to my USB cable that runs down the side of my board! really simple ghetto fix, goes well with my setup lol

wow i really cant believe i  cant upload an image from my computer. i dont have an account with an image hosting website, i shouldnt have to. oh well

MolecularConcept wrote:

wow i really cant believe i  cant upload an image from my computer. i dont have an account with an image hosting website, i shouldnt have to. oh well

You don't need one with imgur.

23 (edited by MolecularConcept 2014-02-23 05:58:49)

thats real neat thanks!!!

heres the pic!

http://i.imgur.com/E9veLkF.jpg

24 (edited by 3dcad 2014-04-22 17:45:57)

I had my extruder / nozzle crash into the (bulldog) or whatever the clips that hold the piece of glass on the bed in place. I put some sugru on it so the glass stays in place.

I wanted a simple way to mount a fan on my solidoodle3, but finding an elegant design was tough because I had an e3d hotend installed. In desperation I put a magnet on a screw in the corner of an 80mm fan that i had directly wired to a 12v power supply and stuck it to the x axis rods where it sticks out the end of the carriage - and it worked!

With this in mind i created a very simple holder than uses 4 8mm magnets and two screws and 2 nuts. There is not gluing required; everything can be disassembled if you don't like it!

This design also cools one of the motors.

This is thing # 281160 on thingiverse.

Post's attachments

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG 885.38 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-03-26 

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG 653.72 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 4.JPG 724.63 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.