Re: Solidoodle Support Issues

i have had no problem with Solidoodle support either

This is a typical response to opening a UPS delivered electronic item:

hehe :-)

Best Regards
Martin Jepsen Solidoodle Danmark

mr_tim34 wrote:

I'll weigh in on this topic as well. I noticed someone complained about the printers being listed as in stock, and SD charging you full price up front before your printer was built. SD was very upfront about this, they said there was an issue with their e-commerce software that required them to list the printers as in stock in order to be able to accept their orders. They also said they would be charging you in full upfront, and at the time I ordered there was a 8 to 10 week delivery schedule.

when I ordered my printer,
there were announcements all over the place that the pre-order wait was over, they were not producing and shipping.
there was no notice that in stock meant waiting to be built when your turn comes up. (it was only thanks to the bitching and moaning of members that they thought to clarify the statement "in stock" means something completely different in solidoodle land.

the 8 - 10 week lead times when they first started shipping the solidoodle 2 were almost certainly double that.
I waiting 17 weeks, (more than double what you waited).
during that time the company constantly made promises that they couldn't (and didn't keep) regarding delivery times, and the amount of machines they expected to build.

their processes are better now. but, seemingly only because people complained.

jefferysanders wrote:
iowajames wrote:
jefferysanders wrote:

File BBB claims, they'll suck you up if you do...

Really, is that even necessary?

I'm sorry your're so religious you can't enjoy some good filatio...without doubt it won't be long before some strong man is wooing you wife's mouth with his saucy member lol...as for the BBB claim part yes...that was also needed to get actual customer support from SD.

dude... really... is that needed?

(if you're going to throw stuff like that around you should probably learn to spell fellatio first.)

29 (edited by Importstation 2013-04-10 18:22:21)

Well, then my printbed is faulty, if yours go easy to 95°C

Solidoodlesupport at mirc said: Max 86°C bed is Standard now.
I wonder why? Is 86°C now sufficient or not? Then all ++95°C users are dumbs?
But watever.
My objects still dont stick.
I set z-endstop properly and also calibrated extruder not to overextrude.

I was suggested to make wider brim to get it stuck.
If that dont help, then i try a cover to get 95°C or i try hairspray.

I guess, i would rather bought another printer than solidoodle.

..a picture of the last printer I got with the imprint on the bed of the 'test' object that they printed... this was taken right after I unboxed it..

and no, my printer did have a very clean Kapton, so i was right with "no testprint was made"

Importstation wrote:

Well, then my printbed is faulty, if yours go easy to 95°C

Solidoodlesupport at mirc said: Max 86°C bed is Standard now.
I wonder why? Is 86°C now sufficient or not? Then all ++95°C users are dumbs?
But watever.
My objects still dont stick.
I set z-endstop properly and also calibrated extruder not to overextrude.

I was suggested to make wider brim to get it stuck.
If that dont help, then i try a cover to get 95°C or i try hairspray.

I guess, i would rather bought another printer than solidoodle.

..a picture of the last printer I got with the imprint on the bed of the 'test' object that they printed... this was taken right after I unboxed it..

and no, my printer did have a very clean Kapton, so i was right with "no testprint was made"

Test prints are made on absolutely all printers. The printer cannot leave the factory without being tested in this way.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Importstation wrote:

snip....

My last printer bed was very clean also but..... if you held a very bright narrow wavelength light just right I could get a picture of it with the test print imprint still there, I think most people just don't notice it because of lighting conditions but so far all of mine and my friends printer have had it. I mean think about it why would they not test it..... just so they could receive a barrage of complaints later???? they want the printers to work out of the box.

they want the printers to work out of the box.

And this is complete nonsense.
As for now to work out of the box means:
Put it out of the box,
You need to set z-endstop zero first
You need to level the printbed first
You need to calibrate the extruder first
You need to clean bed with aceton first
You need to make a brim around all objects first
You need to do maybe some other things too first (i am curious wich things that are),
because, above things are not sufficient in my case
I still can only print balls of ABS-wool (this was meant maybe)

Good luck with that. If they actually knew anything about building printers, clearly they don't hire the right people or can't find the right people with the right skills to assemble these machines. Getting a solidoodle to work is like winning the lottery. Winners let us know who you are

And good luck with getting people to want to help you when you call their responses nonsense. smile

3DPrinter4Life wrote:

Good luck with that. If they actually knew anything about building printers, clearly they don't hire the right people or can't find the right people with the right skills to assemble these machines. Getting a solidoodle to work is like winning the lottery. Winners let us know who you are

Good idea!  I'm a winner.  Mine printed out of the box.  Install software.  Download stl.  Print.  Done.  Perfectly acceptable $500 printer quality.  I've had some fun and challenges getting it to $1500 printer quality but I did my homework and didn't expect that.  Count me a lottery winner.  I know there are many of us.

I love my printer and feel it was excellent value for the money.

That said, I will only deal with them again if I have no other options or they are half the price of the next closest.  Their communication style has ruined any credibility they had with me and I would go out of my way not to deal with them again.

3DPrinter4Life wrote:

Winner winner chicken dinner. Burned through almost a whole spool of ABS with zero issues! Me and my kids are having a blast so far!

Winner here as well, printed right out of the box. Of course calibrating the extruder lead to better prints, leveling the bead ditto, tweaking the z stop a little better, cleaning with acetone helped with adhesion, adding the glass and using hairspray, don't need the acetone anymore. Added plexiglass panels, better yet. I'm having fun, tinkering is fun. If you don't want to tinker send your files to Shapeways and all your problems will be solved. If you like to tinker, buy a printer, but be ready to get your hands dirty, it's not rocket science, but it's not exactly a laser printer either.

TiM

3DPrinter4Life wrote:

mine worked out of the box (when I eventually got it.)

Of course I had to adjust the Z height first. if I'm have just pressed print then the nozzle would have run straight into the edge of the bed as the Z height was set wrong.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

Test prints are made on absolutely all printers. The printer cannot leave the factory without being tested in this way.

so you make a printer, then test it, and then re-adjust the Z height so if your customers just press print it's not going to work?

seems like a lot of work to me...

danny wrote:
3DPrinter4Life wrote:

mine worked out of the box (when I eventually got it.)

Of course I had to adjust the Z height first. if I'm have just pressed print then the nozzle would have run straight into the edge of the bed as the Z height was set wrong.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

so you make a printer, then test it, and then re-adjust the Z height so if your customers just press print it's not going to work?

seems like a lot of work to me...

We thoroughly calibrate absolutely all machines. The thing is, it is completely possible to throw the machine out of calibration by tossing it off of a UPS truck.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Tossing off a UPS truck is the only thing as customers we actually see. What really happens to them between New York and our location? I am sure it is a lot worse than the final "drop off" the truck.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Gordym wrote:

Tossing off a UPS truck is the only thing as customers we actually see. What really happens to them between New York and our location? I am sure it is a lot worse than the final "drop off" the truck.

I used to design/commission conveyor sorting systems for FedEx and UPS, and I can say that the handling between the origin and destination is pretty smooth.  The conveyor height is designed so that the package handler doesn't have to throw or drop packages onto it.  The conveyor extends into the container/truck so that the package is always close to where it needs to be placed.  The conveyor itself never jolts or bounces the package significantly.  The worst that can happen to the box during sorting is another box can slam into it on a slide.

wilheldp wrote:
Gordym wrote:

I used to design/commission conveyor sorting systems for FedEx and UPS, and I can say that the handling between the origin and destination is pretty smooth.  The conveyor height is designed so that the package handler doesn't have to throw or drop packages onto it.  The conveyor extends into the container/truck so that the package is always close to where it needs to be placed.  The conveyor itself never jolts or bounces the package significantly.  The worst that can happen to the box during sorting is another box can slam into it on a slide.

When I was in university there was a casual labour bank, where students could sign up for a job.

I worked in a distribution hub for ANC, (a uk equivalent of UPS), from what I saw there, the conveyor belts are smooth, but the van to belt, belt to lorry, lorry from one hub to another hub, lorry to belt belt to van parts of the interaction that are not automated/mechanised, they may lead something to be desired.

I can't wait to start tuning and tweeking... :0)

www.designerfred.fr      before: Solidoodle 2 + E3D v6 now: MeCreator II and OLO 3D

This may be, but I received a Solidoodle 2 where the threaded Z rod had been snapped in half by UPS, when the package and the printer itself was FULL of packing.  Someone somewhere really threw that package from a height.  Solidoodle should start shipping their printers with accelerometers inside.  It would be entertaining.

wilheldp wrote:

45 (edited by iowajames 2013-04-12 16:41:28)

wilheldp wrote:
Gordym wrote:

But as he said, we have seen many videos of UPS drivers throwing packages on & off the truck. My UPS guy threw some motorcycle parts over my porch & down into my bushes. Quite a drop to the ground. Then tagged my door & ran. UPS is responsible for 99% of the alignment/broken parts in this product IMHO.

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

iowajames wrote:
wilheldp wrote:
Gordym wrote:

But as he said, we have seen many videos of UPS drivers throwing packages on & off the truck. My UPS guy threw some motorcycle parts over my porch & down into my bushes. Quite a drop to the ground. Then tagged my door & ran. UPS is responsible for 99% of the alignment/broken parts in this product IMHO.

My UPS guy delivered a box of filament to me the other day. He was too lazy to place it on my front porch or knock on the door. I got the text that the package had been delivered. I checked by all the doors and couldn't find it. As I was taking out the trash, I noticed a box placed squarely on top of my garbage can. Nice. If one of my other family members saw it, they would have thrown it in the trash. BTW, I worked with programming conveyor systems for kitchen cabinets. The automated systems do allow for nice flow of packages from point A to point B safely. However, when there are people involved some tend to be less concerned about safe handling. If packages were purely handled by  machines/conveyors from the shipping point to the delivery point there would be a lot less destruction in my opinion. I've had some packages arrive that were crushed or punctured more times than not. The human factor in any repetitive job is usually the weakest point.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

I have a brother that worked for UPS and have heard this from others.  The conveyor belts feed down to the trucks where people load.  But the conveyor belts don't stop.  So you you get behind the packages just fall on the ground or off the sides of the belt.  That speed pressure makes the drivers be less than careful loading.  And as far as the drivers.  I think they finish their route and go home, so all the incentive is to be fast.  I could be wrong on that though.

I think the single best thing that Solidoodle Support could do is hire someone to log and reply to EVERY contact that ANYONE makes with support, whether by phone, Skype, or email.  Reply to each email, saying "Got it: you are in the queue".  Return every phone call and say "I want you to know that your phone call was received, and that I have logged it". 

Feedback and triage are key.  How many of the support requests appear to be simple (failed resistor: put it in the mail), standard (needs to be helped through adjusting the belts) or mysterious (no idea: escalate this one!).  Have some people specialize on the quickies (get a reputation for quick response) while others manage the more difficult situations.

Keep track of the queues and response times, even if only as an estimate.

Even better would be "From the queue length, I estimate that someone will get back to you in 1 day". This would require that you know the complexity of the problem and how quickly people are clearing their queues.

In my company, we have half a dozen support people. The software use calculates response time, queue lengths, etc.  While SD may still be too small to reasonably afford a top-level ticketing system, it does not take much time to track these things.

I know, personally, that emails are not being returned and phone calls are not being returned.  That one new hire could improve the perception of customer service enormously.

cmetzel wrote:

I have a brother that worked for UPS and have heard this from others.  The conveyor belts feed down to the trucks where people load.  But the conveyor belts don't stop.  So you you get behind the packages just fall on the ground or off the sides of the belt.  That speed pressure makes the drivers be less than careful loading.  And as far as the drivers.  I think they finish their route and go home, so all the incentive is to be fast.  I could be wrong on that though.

That's just poor design.  Most of our systems had a hard end stop and zero-pressure accumulation conveyor behind the stop.  The only exception was slides and gravity fed conveyor off of sorters.  In that case, if you had a whole bunch of packages going down the same slide, the could bump into each other when they hit the rollers at the bottom.

3DPrinter4Life wrote:

Mine worked right out of the box.  It's on youtube.

If you are learning a stickshift, you buy a cheap import that you don't feel so bad grinding up the gearbox while you learn.

If you bought the Solidoodle thinking it was a finely-tuned porsche that is somehow cheaper than a ford focus,  then you fully well deserve to feel screwed  (by your own ignorance).

Solidoodle isn't on the shelf at bestbuy and walmart.  If they were, I would agree with folks who are presumptuously upholding them to that level of "out of the box" performance.  That's a lofty User Experience goal, NOT an absolute prerequisite for a successful product.

An executive at the company I work for just spent $7000 for a very niche market product that also didn't come with a manual,  doesn't work out of the box, and he had to take it apart to shift some dip switches.  And he complained a lot less than some of you whiny folks!  smile