Re: Full-fledged LCD touchscreen

lawsy wrote:

Alright, I've been through your steps and still no success.

I had most of that done before, but re-did it to be sure.

In the final step, typing in the ip address gives an error in win7 after several seconds.

I've set up the wireless router to always assign the pengpad to a specific ip address and this is verified with ifconfig.

I'm thinking I altered something I shouldn't have in smb.conf when I first started editing that file. Looking into resetting that now.

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I have successfully set up SAMBA on a couple of different computers in the last couple of days, and everything went very smoothly. I'm attaching my smb.conf file, which is basically a standard one with one public share. You should just change the last section. I hope it works!

Post's attachments

smb.conf 11.99 kb, 4 downloads since 2013-04-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Managed to uninstall samba completely and then this reinstall to restore smb.conf.

Only added your code and it worked first go.

Thanks very much!

lawsy wrote:

Update: Python installed and pronterface running.

Connects and controls the printer on the default 250,000 baud which was a pleasant surprise.

Let me know once you've printed some stuff.  Maybe I'll try it again.  I was able to connect fine at 250000, but the motors wouldn't move.  It may have been something else in my configuration though, so I'm certainly willing to try it again.

So far I've just run one test print, a 'pick of destiny' guitar pick from Thingiverse.

Everything worked fine apart from the heaters not turning off after the print was done. I'll have to check my end gcode, perhaps I had Repetier handling that separately.

A couple of questions I have for you guys which the answers are not obvious to me:

- How do you put it to sleep reliably? I have used suspend but often it won't resume unless I plug in a power source.
- What is a good package to install that will give me a nice battery indicator in the bar down the bottom? I've put one on but it doesn't appear in the available widgets.

About to design and print a mount that clips onto the rear of the frame (when the case is not in place).

I ended up not using suspend (or battery power)
I have my printer power-supply plugged into a power-strip.  The PengPod is also plugged into it.  When the printer is on, the tablet is on AC.  When I'm done, I just kill the power and power-down the tablet.  It boots quickly enough for my needs that this is fine without suspend.  I may eventually build a USB controlled relay that would let me power up/down the printer purely from the tablet, but for the moment this is working well enough.
I did some initial checks when I was 1st playing with it and apparently the normal battery widgets don't work with the pengpod.

I found this though:
pengpod dot com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=583

lawsy wrote:

So far I've just run one test print, a 'pick of destiny' guitar pick from Thingiverse.

Everything worked fine apart from the heaters not turning off after the print was done. I'll have to check my end gcode, perhaps I had Repetier handling that separately.

Apparently when you export the GCode from RepetierHost, you can choose to export the end commands, but only if you click the "save" button from the toolbar at the top. The small "save" in the GCode view will just export the plain GCode. But there is another way: if you use the modified pronterface from my github you can create an end.gcode file in the same directory as pronterface.py and put some end commands there (this is an addition that I made when adding pause support). Mine is:

G28 X0 Y0 ; move to X and Y home
M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
M18 ; disable motors

A couple of questions I have for you guys which the answers are not obvious to me:

- How do you put it to sleep reliably? I have used suspend but often it won't resume unless I plug in a power source.
- What is a good package to install that will give me a nice battery indicator in the bar down the bottom? I've put one on but it doesn't appear in the available widgets.

About to design and print a mount that clips onto the rear of the frame (when the case is not in place).

I also keep the tablet connected to AC power, don't really need the battery.

The gcode part was fine, I had it set to 100 at the end from before my bed upgrade. Set it to zero and no problems.

Holders designed and printed. I've now also gotten an extension cord for the AC source, so that is sorted too.

Now just to tweak the Pronterface GUI until I'm happy. I will post up some of my ideas in the coming days for discussion.

My Pod is in the mail, I should be able to offer suggestions once it's set up and I've printed a few things.

B

34 (edited by DigitalWhitewater 2013-04-17 10:04:41)

I'm thinking about going big and getting the PengPod1000.
Anyone else try it yet? I figure it should run the same just with a larger screen.

Anyone wanna buy a brand new VikiLCD?

SD2 w/ mods: Rumba controller, ATX PSU, SD pro case, glass bed, with more to come...

DigitalWhitewater wrote:

I'm thinking about going big and getting the PengPod1000.
Anyone else try it yet? I figure it should run the same just with a larger screen.

I went for the 700 because it sounded a more reasonable size for a controller. There will be some changes to make in the pronterface interface to make it work nicely with a larger screen (some sizes are hardcoded, you would end up with a 7" usable area anyway) but nothing too hard.

Unless you run it at the same resolution as the 700 (800x480) which might also make sense.

I got the pengpod1000, as it has a much larger screen regular pronterface runs fine on it.

However I added some things from the 7" project like the touch pad for input, full screen button etc.

The project is on github in

https://github.com/wolfmanjm/Printrun in the pengpod1000 branch

Thanks for the inspiration smile

Ok! I have finished my software fork:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2205/vis … -software/

For the people here with Pengpods, please give it a try. Detailed instructions are available on the github readme.

I didn't put in an onscreen keyboard because you can connect to this from any other computer on the network that most likely has a proper keyboard.

Pics:

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5526/06inplace.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8515/05printing.jpg

It looks nice.  I for one will miss the keyboard though.  I like to be able to send GCode directly in some situations, and the whole point for me is not needing another computer or keyboard.

PhracturedBlue wrote:

It looks nice.  I for one will miss the keyboard though.  I like to be able to send GCode directly in some situations, and the whole point for me is not needing another computer or keyboard.

Just connect one via USB or BT... can't see why that wouldn't work as it does on the other linux tablets/tablet dev boards I play with.

adrian wrote:
PhracturedBlue wrote:

Just connect one via USB or BT... can't see why that wouldn't work as it does on the other linux tablets/tablet dev boards I play with.

Of course it would work.  I don't WANT one though.  I like having the only interface being the touch screen.  But I'm not asking for anything.  If I decide to go to lawsy's interface, I'll just implement it myself if necessary.

PhracturedBlue wrote:
adrian wrote:
PhracturedBlue wrote:

Of course it would work.  I don't WANT one though.  I like having the only interface being the touch screen.  But I'm not asking for anything.  If I decide to go to lawsy's interface, I'll just implement it myself if necessary.

My apologies - I read your statement of "I for one will miss the keyboard though" and offered a solution. So you are referring to the *virtual* keyboard then I take it.....

I'll move along now....

Im going to use a windows tablet (Win7) with Repetier Host.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-BBen- … 4ac3f33dff

//Matte

FYI, I wrote up an (unfortunately incomplete) step by step guide here: http://www.soliwiki.com/Pengpod_controller_step-by-step

Please fill in the gaps if you can!

Would this work on the Microsoft Surface Rt? It also has an arm processor

If it can run python you should be fine.

http://www.windows-arm.com/index.php/de … windows-rt

Looks like it can!

Would your modified screen software work just as well on the 10" version without modification?

tmccafferty wrote:

Would your modified screen software work just as well on the 10" version without modification?

It would run but most probably it would look uglier. The user interface does not scale well with screen size unfortunately, a lot of things are just hardcoded.

But I found some guy that made a fork for the 10" version. Here it is: https://github.com/wolfmanjm/Printrun/tree/pengpod1000

I don't know if it has the pause/resume support though, I haven't looked into it.

Thanks for your reply.  I think I'll just go with the 7 inch and maybe a track ball.  I like the pause/resume feature.

Nice work

50 (edited by tmccafferty 2013-06-26 04:59:33)

Ok, I got the pengpod.  I have never been exposed to Linux so this is going to be a challenge.  I downloaded your code to a folder.  Next, I'll try to figure out how to install python.  Then I'll try your process for the share folder.  I am anxious to get it going.... It's a cool interface.

One thing that concerns me is that you have emphasized setting the build space "somewhere" to specific values for pause to work.  I am planning on using this with a Makergear M2.  Do I use the 200, 250, ... Of my printer or will the code not work with different values.  Not sure if that made sense, but hope you got it.  If I can get it going on the M2, I am going to buy one for the large format (850 x 850 x 850) printer I am building.