Topic: Japica J-Rev

What do you think about this printer?
Worth it for $1850

kickstarter.com/projects/japica/japicain-revolution-changing-the-way-you-print-in

2 (edited by cmetzel 2013-04-03 14:35:03)

Re: Japica J-Rev

The best thing about it is that it's quite and has a professional apperance.

http://s12.postimg.org/bxsnpxz25/japica.jpg

i1fang wrote:

What do you think about this printer?
Worth it for $1850

kickstarter.com/projects/japica/japicain-revolution-changing-the-way-you-print-in

I don't trust a printer that has a fake Photoshopped printing "demo", no logic board, and no wires running to the motors or extruder!

The expanding bolts are an interesting idea, but if you think about it, with a fast articulating head balanced on top of four legs each with four movable/rotating joints, the whole thing would wobble worse than Snooky walking out of a bar after last call.

Yeah something about them doesn't seem right.  The resolution they're claiming is a little out there too.

cmetzel wrote:

Yeah something about them doesn't seem right.  The resolution they're claiming is a little out there too.

And if you look at the x/y mechanism, it seems likethere aren't enough belts there.  Only one on the z-platform crosses from the left to right sides of the mechanism.  For any solid design, I'd expect there to be at least two to synchronize the left and right sides of the y-carriage movement.  And since the x-motor is present on the z-platform, this looks like it would tie the x and y movements together so the x would have to move every time the y did unless the x moved in the opposite direction to compensate just to stay still.  This seems really bad.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/487/365/c8c0d2441f5b4b3833eaed3a7b09cc2c_large.png?1364938161

Something's not quiet right, I agree.

I appers their spell check wasn't working either.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

From what I can eyeball-reverse engineer, the system has the x-y axis motors on the top platform.  This covers that plane and allows for movement across the build platform.

The Z axis is controlled on the bottom platform using a stepper (possibly 2) to control a belt system that rotates the four corners which telescope up.  This translates to the z-motion.  How accurate it is, I'm not quite sure, but it's a very interesting concept.

cmetzel wrote:

The best thing about it is that it's quite and has a professional apperance.

You'd think that they'd at least be able to proofread what they're putting out.  Not a very "professional apperance."  LOL

With the 'bolts' being plastic, if there were any binding at all on the z-axis, wouldn't it strip them to all get out, rendering it useless?  Or do the plastic portions hide the actual bolts and I'm just not seeing it?  Either way, I don't see how it could operate accurately for any length of time.

The telescoping accuracy would be my first concern since you are putting all three axis of stability on one axis basically, they would have to be pretty accurately machined to hold precision better than a threaded rod...

I can only hazard a guess as I don't know the technology behind the telescoping bolts.  I would have to say the there is a kind of gradient on the interiors of each set (except the top one as this is permanently attached to the top platform) that when rotated slides the corresponding next step up.  Kind of like a screw drive, but in multi-piece plastic.

They almost look printed and ABS is pretty sturdy.  If finished correctly, it's pretty slick too.  There may be some binding, but with a smooth surface it may be quite a while before it starts.

when I search telescopic bolts... the only thing i can find is related to gun.

where can you find this bolt that is as long as in that photo?

Solidoodle2 with Ceramic tile heated bed http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2544/my- … eated-bed/
"1kg should last for an while" is a lie!

They said in the video that they developed the bolts in-house, so someone took a bunch of theory and applied it to design and came up with a workable solution.

Think of the backlash multiplied out over a set of 4 telescoping bolts.  I think they're in theory mode right now but not practice mode.  I'd be happy to eat my words if this actually pans out because it's a novel concept.

15 (edited by tealvince 2013-04-03 20:37:41)

cckens wrote:

From what I can eyeball-reverse engineer, the system has the x-y axis motors on the top platform.  This covers that plane and allows for movement across the build platform.

But the problem is, if you have your x-axis motor on the z platform, how to do get a belt from the motor up onto the z-carriage and not have it affected the the carriage y-motion?  I don't see a mechanism (like a long keyed rod and sliding gear) that would accomplish this.

Furthermore, how would one power the extruder and motors with no wires and no logic board?

Lastly, those plastic telescoping bolts appear to just be plastic sleeves that are threaded on the inside and outside.  Interesting in concept but they would sway like a stack of tin cans if an actual print head tried to move on them.  The range of motion looks way too tall to have a supporting bolt in them, which--even if present--would still need diagonal support or a full frame to support them like all other printers.  None of these are present.

IMHO, this is clearly a non-functional mockup at best.

If you can stand the schlock presentation (these guys spent too much time reading prompt cards to put any genuine emotion into their presentation) you can see what looks like a functional design (2:12 in the video).  I'm not saying that this is an actual working model, but it seems that it would take a LOT of time to build a 3D working mockup to show the concept and if this is just an animation they spent a heck of a lot of time on detailing the models.

I do have one thing to say, watching the video, the lighting flickers inconsistantly almost like it was time-lapsed.  Also, you can see a LOT of wobble on the top platform.  I don't think I'd trust this as there would be a lot of wobble on the print from the side to side sway, even more than what I saw with my bent leadscrew.

Although it is a novel concept, I agree with you guys, seems a little off. I will be waiting on Gigabot to launch & hopefully able to squeeze out the dough for it. 24"x24"x24" with 100 mincron layer capability for likely about 2k?

Sweet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re3 … is-is-huge

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Looks like a h-bot style xy and a little skeptical of them getting that z axis to work well.  Marlin does support h bots already with corexy ibut I hear that there are a few bugs with it.

For the starter price of 2500.00 (with all the parts), I am sure they have pretty decent z leadscrews... or at least they ought to for that kind of money smile

20 (edited by timp610 2013-04-05 04:16:32)

We can only hope so but its a telescoping z so any slop in each part is going to stack as it gets higher and higher.  They also have some pretty lofty claims of accuracy.

Up to 300 mm/s print speed (Up to 600 mm/s if stretch goal reached)
    20 Micron layer heights (10 Micron layers if stretch goal reached)
    Can do layers up to 250 microns if chosen (Fast low quality print..)
    Down to at least 80 micron feature widths (Recommend 300 microns for accuracy)

21 (edited by Rondavouz 2013-04-05 20:32:19)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jap … ref=search
there is a video of it and it is wobbling like crazy when they raise/lower the Z axis.....
have a look at the 2:18-2:19 mark, it is very clear. For the resolution they talk about, I would really like to see the thing print an straight tower all the way from top to bottom...

Rondavouz wrote:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jap … ref=search
there is a video of it and it is wobbling like crazy when they raise/lower the Z axis.....
have a look at the 2:18-2:19 mark, it is very clear. For the resolution they talk about, I would really like to see the thing print an straight tower all the way from top to bottom...

I guess in all fairness it would have that kind of resolution..... just not relative to the previous layer...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jap … n/comments

Campaign canceled, maybe the truth caught up a little too soon?

Novel idea, but the size of the printer isn't really a concern so they are trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist, which as every says would have some nasty Z banding issues

However, I really do want a printer that is covered in leather. Would I rather have some filament with my printer? NO, I want a leather cover!

+1 for the worst kickstarter video I have seen smile amusing but just shocking.

25 (edited by Rondavouz 2013-04-09 11:54:08)

Yeah, +1 on the video too. Gives me the creeps

Have a look at teh timeline at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Japica/232723350073764

Japica
den 21 juli 2012
Going to be able to extrude around 50 new materials in a few months. (hint, a couple of the new materials are metal)

"Holy Japica Batman!"