1 (edited by m4rten86 2013-03-30 12:05:28)

Topic: Aquarium pump + gcode fancontroll = awesome ;)

Hello everyone,

This is an invention to cool down the plastic that comes out of the hot end with cool enviromental air ( room temperature). Its is very good for printing small objects. Also I experienced that it's possible to print about 2cm in horizontal direction.
So you can setup the bridge distance in slic3r to a bigger distance (in some cases) and it's easier to remove these after printing :-)

The electric controll is based on the Gcode conrolled Fan Mod of Ian Johnson
( solidoodletips.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/gcode-controlled-extruder-fan )
but instead of a Fan i used a relais that switches an air pump for aquaria. there are really cheap ones for only 10€ ( about 13$).

I designed the Tubes and they really fit very well with a glue simply made of Aceton and ABS plastic.
Also it looks good when you paint them in copper or iron colours. ;-)

You need :

-Air pump ( i used a 66 Gallons/hour, 5Watt, Membranepump, bought at Amazon for 10€)
( amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=air+pump+aquarium&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aair+pump+aquarium )
-All the parts for Ians Guide ( but not the fan)
( solidoodletips.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/gcode-controlled-extruder-fan/ )
-12V DC relais (you have to take a look how much power your pump has to buy a relais that can switch that power.
-A flexible tube (inner diameter 4mm, outer 6mm)
-A glue that dry´s very quick. I used a acetone and ABS mixture.

For the electric part you just have to follow Ian Johnsons guide but instead of connecting the Fan you connect the 12V relais ( no solid state tongue ) . Take a look at the scam for detailed informations.
After the hardware is connected, its very important to set up the controll of your "fan" (in our case the air pump). I can only say how to adjust it in the Slic3r Menu (which Repetier-Host uses for example) : Go in your Slic3r Settings->Filament Settings->Cooling
Then you do the following adjustments:
-Fanspeed minimum to 99
-Fanspeed maximum to 100
-Bridges fan speed to 100%
-Disable fan for the first 1 layers ( maybe adjust to 2, you have to see how the layer behave)

I exchanged my Hot Head against this one thingiverse.com/thing:33152 from tek so if you have another hot head you may have to customize this Cooler tube system.

If you have any questions, just ask me.

P.S. :
Also it would be very nice if anyone has some improvements for this idea ! specialy for the electric part:
I know that useing an analog output to switch a relais is not what its made for, but i am no programmer for arduino boards so i had to use it like that )

Sorry for my bad english, but i learned it in school 10 years ago smile

Post's attachments

CameraZOOM-20130323191932032.jpg
CameraZOOM-20130323191932032.jpg 2.08 mb, 1 downloads since 2013-03-30 

example (2).jpg
example (2).jpg 350.7 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Kuehlung.rar 388.98 kb, 27 downloads since 2013-03-30 

muster.jpg
muster.jpg 1.54 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Aquarium pump + gcode fancontroll = awesome ;)

I like the copper paint... reminds me of mario bros for some reason lol...

hehe i really thought of design it like the tube system in super mario wink

That's one of my favortie aspects about 3d printing and design, you can have some real fun with functional art 8)).  I have a extruder design that uses the Sue t-rex model...nothing better than a trex that eat then extrudes the filament

I've been waiting for someone to do this mod with a squirrel cage or aquarium pump.  However your design looks to block the removal of the hot end so it's not all the way there but it's almost there.  One of the coolest things to me is to be able to watch it print so the ian fan setup doesn't appeal to me even though it's great work. Thanks for ppushing this forward.

Nice! I've been wanting to do this since I started using an aquarium pump a week or so ago. Thank you for saving me the trouble of ironing out the details! =oD

Someone mentioned this in Oct 2012

http://soliforum.com/topic/400/possible-part-cooler/

That paint looks like The "Tin Bitz" color I used to use for my Table top models, looks awesome!

One of these, driven by a small motor could be a good
air pump for cooler

Hey it's 3D printed

http://thingiverse.com/thing:25624

ah nice ! i searched for something more silent because this pump has really no living room noise level.
i will print that pump later and give it a try.