1 (edited by vintageb3 2022-02-08 19:13:12)

Topic: Da Vinci 1.0. Advice on firmware update and Prusaslicer please.

Hi Folks,

I picked up a Da Vinci 1.0 the other week. I have two other printers for PLA etc so I want to keep this 1.0 for ABS/ASA and PETG if possible/feasible.

The firmware is currently 1.3.4. As of today Feb 08 2021, I'm not sure what the latest XYZ firmware should be that is compatible with a filament resetter, where to download it, or how to install it.

I think most will agree that as this printer is from 2014, a lot of the information is out of date and URL links are broken. 

I don't see the need to flash firmware to Repietier etc. If I was going to change anything, I would fit a SKR-Mini board and an ED3 hot end...but I want and need to get some ABS prints done soon....so path of least resistance is my current aim.

The printer came with one filament cartridge and two filament chips both set to 140m.

I've bought a nano for the filament resetter, but I'm finding it difficult finding a download for the correct/latest/best sketch to load to the Arduino. Never done this process before but I have done similar in the past. I limped through it.

I'm going to use this Thingiverse file for the resetter:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1492207

Is XYZware 2.2.7 (2C2906) the latest version used for slicing?

What is the current best method of slicing in Prusaslicer and converting to print on the 1.0? 

What is the print process? Do I need to leave my Mac hooked up to the printer for the entire print or can I load to the internal SD card and print from there.

I'm in Scotland. Current day temps are around 5-9 Celsius. Do you think I would be able to print in a cold garage in this current cold weather?

I would really appreciate some advice and working links to download the best current options for firmware etc.

Thanks in advance!

vintageb3

Re: Da Vinci 1.0. Advice on firmware update and Prusaslicer please.

The stock hotend can't get hot enough to do ASA. You need an all metal hotend for ASA due to the temps it needs to print at the PTFE liner on the stock hotend will be destroyed and kill you in the process from toxic out gassing. It might do ABS but that is even pushing it considering the max temp by firmware is I believe 230 if I remember right.

The filament that XYZ uses although called PLA, ABS, or what have you melts at lower temps than third party stuff does. So while it might print their ABS it will not print aftermarket ABS very well if at all. Honestly in stock form it is really only good for PLA and that is till heat creep makes it swell and jams.

There is a reason there is so little support on these machines now.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.