Topic: Extruder Gunk

New to this forum, thought I would ask
Have a Monoprice mini select.. was working great and now it keeps gunking up at the nozzle when it first begins the print. I leveled the platform, made sure the nozzle was clear, adjusted temperatures on the platform and extruder. Had made some excellent models for days. Not sure what has happened.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: Extruder Gunk

You probably need to be closer to the bed. The gap between the nozzle and bed should be roughly have your desired layer height. There is more to leveling then just making it level.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Re: Extruder Gunk

The word "leveling" used in conjunction with 3d printers is a bit of a misnomer... the printer can be tilted at a 90 degree angle and should still print.. this has been proven

what you DO need to have is a consistent space between nozzle and bed, which is properly called "tramming".
the space between bed and nozzle needs to be just right.. too far away and you get the mess you are now getting... too close and it squishes the filament too much, causing other issues. The difference between the two is a rather fine line
And yes, this is something needs to be adjusted periodically. The cycles of heating and cooling will cause it to get out of whack.

every model of printer is slightly different in how this is done, so you should refer to the documentation that came with the printer (if any) for how your printer should be adjusted.
If you have no documentation, then i would suggest asking other owners of that model how "leveling" is done for that printer.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1