Topic: Solidoodle 2 Upgrade

We have an all original SD2, with Sanguinololu Rev 1.3a on the controller board. (very low hours)
Tired of fighting the printer, it is time to upgrade something on it.
Looking for a controller board, and or slicer replacement, that will
1. work with Windows 10
2. be easy to install, and use.
3. The ability to add fans.
4. 32 bit processor.

I am afraid that if I don't ask, we may buy the wrong one.
Any thoughts?

Re: Solidoodle 2 Upgrade

firstly - the slicer is strictly a personal preference and is not tied to the printer. You can use pretty much any slicer you like.
my preference is Slic3r, but others use Cura, S3D, and so on.

the Sang board on that printer was actually one of the better choices at the time, and putting a 32 bit board on that printer is kind of a waste of resources.

so, what, precisely, is/are the problem(s) you are having?

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

The slicer would be the obvious choice to upgrade. as slicing tech has come a long way. I too prefer Slic3r and there are serval modernized versions of forks of the project available. super slicer is the most recent.

Matter control is another. Do not know anything about it other than open source. and the many itineration's of cura as mentioned by heartless.
This site has a great quality guide to reference
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/

and this page is a great resource for learning to setup tune calibrate your printer.
https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html?

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

4 (edited by Sam Inman 2021-12-19 22:15:21)

heartless,
Thank you for your reply.
I bought the printer new in 2010.
The software that came with the printer has been a nightmare to work with. Because of that I quit using the printer about a year after I bought it. So, it is hard for me to pinpoint the details.

Now, my son wants to get it going again, and I know with tech advancements over the years it should be a lot more user friendly, and we should get much better-quality prints.
I do remember that with every print, the print would pull up off the table in the corners during printing.
I could say that the overall learning curve was too steep. What I mean by that is, issues would show up, and there were no answers to be found, with that no direction for correction.
For awhile now, I see people all over showing prints that are far better then anything I could achieve, so, I believe an upgrade could help.
I was astonished at how extremely dimensionally accurate the prints were to the model with every print.

We were under the belief that the 32 bit would allow for the ability to speed up the print.
There again, our lack of understanding of it all, requires knowledge before the move.

Tin Falcon,
Thank you for your reply, and affirmation,
We will look in to these options.
We would like to know if there are any other upgrades that would result in better prints.

yeah, printer upgrades are not what you need
software upgrades, yeah..

you are not tied to the software that was available when that printer was new. Things have dramatically moved forward since then

I got my first SD4 in 2015, and joined this forum very shortly after getting it to learn as much as I possibly could about it, the software used to run it, and as much as i could about everything else related to it. lol

my first attempts were not great, but being the stubborn snot that I am, i stuck with it, and worked out what worked best for me and my printer.

while a 32 bit board will run faster, the printer itself will not really utilize that due to mechanical constraints.

Learning to use what you have - albeit with better software - will help you far more than spending money on unnecessary "upgrades"

now, I am guessing you were saddled with Pronterface for control software... and in 2010, i have no idea what you were using for slicing, lol

Repetier Host is much better for controlling the printer..
I personally prefer Slic3r for slicing my models.. and yes, that is the correct spelling for it.
Cura is an option, and has gone thru some MAJOR changes since I started.. altho I never really understood it so never used it.. the way they set up their settings was just too weird for me.
There are other options, but those are the most common free ones.

Materials have also come a long way in the intervening years..
do not buy the cheapest material you can get, you will regret it (yes, there is a direct correlation between failing miserably and success)

to start with, i would suggest getting some decent quality PLA.. it will be the easiest to work with.

prints warping in the corners and coming loose are frequently from not having the nozzle to bed height set properly, and/or improper temperatures.

Lots to learn, and plenty of folks that are willing to help you learn it. all you have to do is ask

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Sounds like you need to reset your attitude. and learn some things.
First of all, the machine has sat for a few years so do a careful inspection. make sure belts are tight grub screws secure screw terminals tight etc.
Second get a fresh  roll of PLA  Jesse pla from printed solid is great stuff at a good price $21 for a full kilo roll. https://www.printedsolid.com/collection … nted+Solid the one upgrade you may want to consider is a glass build plate. with aqua net hair spray.
download and install repitier host.
Then calibrate your extruder tram your bed then attempt a print.
follow the links i posted. Ther is a  bit of a learning curve. I tend to joke that 3d printing is easy any 5 yr old can do it with ten years experience.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

8 (edited by heartless 2021-12-22 12:52:00)

well, if we are going to recommend specific brands..
my recommendation is Veracity, sold by Filatruder...
https://www.filastruder.com/collections … 3433251911

Yes, i have personally used the stuff, and yes it is very good quality.. and about the only brand I know of that provides you with manufacturing info for the spool you purchase... each one has a unique ID number AND it is made here in the USA

I also use their ABS and Pro PLA, so...

9 (edited by Tin Falcon 2021-12-24 10:28:19)

BUY:
Quality
Made in usa
Local when possible
Locally sourced /manufactured when possible.
An ID tag is also great benefit.

Printed solid brand is made in Delaware USA. Less than an hour from where i live so work well for me. Milage may vary.

Tin Falcon wrote:

BUY:
Quality
Made in usa
Local when possible
Locally sourced /manufactured when possible.
An ID tag is also great benefit.

Printed solid brand is made in Delaware USA. Less than an hour from where i live so work well for me. Milage may vary.

Completely agree!
Veracity IS made in the USA, by Keene Village Plastics, based in Ohio.

Another decent brand is Coex - made in Green Bay, Wisconsin (a couple of hours from me)

11 (edited by Tin Falcon 2021-12-25 01:56:02)

a couple more options

https://www.ic3dprinters.com/shop/pla-filaments/
IC3d Columbus Ohio

https://www.proto-pasta.com/collections/all
Vancouver Washinton

12 (edited by Sam Inman 2022-01-09 20:11:39)

Sweet, Thank you both for the very specific advice. We were sick thru the holiday's, so we took a break from, well, a lot of things.  We bought a new roll of PLA filament from Protoplant, once we get the software installed, we should be able to test it out.
We are going to buy one from https://www.filastruder.com, and test it out as well.

I found  the old software on an old HD. It's;
Ponterface
Python
Replicator G
Skeinforge

This stuff was a nightmare to install, and get it synced. I remember it took me about three weeks to get a first print.

As well, we decided, (and completed) the setup of a very solid older computer with XP Pro on it to run the printer with.

oh good grief, yeah, that software is - well, to put it nicely.. garbage, LOL

Repetier Host for controlling.. and make sure you get HOST... not server
Not sure if the latest version of RH is compatible with XP, however... if you run into issues there, reach out to me, i have an older version that might work for you.

RH has Slic3r & Cura built into it, as well as a couple of others.. you will need to decide which one you want to use. My personal preference is Slic3r.
As a side note, there are some special features in the standalone versions of Slic3r, and probably others, that are not available for use within RH..but the greater majority are accessible, so to start out with, you should not need to download/install anything else.

+ 1 on using RH host. slicers have improved a bit in the last 10 years so no advantage to using vintage software and computer.
Also be careful using a laptop with longer print if the thing goes to sleep you will lose your print. This happened to a buddy of mine on his FT 5 so check your laptop settings.

Also be careful using a laptop with longer print if the thing goes to sleep you will lose your print.

not just a laptop, lol, it will happen on a PC as well...
turn screensavers, sleep mode, etc, OFF

There are a few reasons for the XP Desktop.
I built it in 2008, and installed Vista. It always ran very smooth, and quiet.
The following are in relation to software, and hardware of its time period.

1.    It cost a bit, because I built it for SolidWorks 2008.
2.    It is upgradable. None of our other computers are.
3.    I have all the software, so no expense required there.
a.    XP Professional with the registration key. I will need to register it online.
b.    I have SolidWorks 2001 as well, with the registration key, and is not required to be registered on line.
c.    I have a stout CAD graphics card in it.
d.    I have Office 2000 to install on it, with the registration key, and I believe it is not required to be registered on line.
e.    I was given Cubase System 4 never used, nor installed. It requires XP for it to run properly.

4.    As it is separated from all of our personal laptops (LT), we are free to use our LT’s wherever while prints are in process.

I have been preforming live music for over 3 decades, written many songs, and I really want to record and distribute my music before I can no longer physically use my instruments, or vocals. Being that I have the software, and hardware ($900) when it was purchased, then never used, I am itching to get it all set up and move forward with it.

not likely able to do any online upgrades or registration with winXP or 7 as both are no longer supported and MS will try force feeding win 10 to you even if old PC wont run it. its main issues I been trying to fix couple years now as I too have many old peripherals that cant run on newer than winXP and a couple on win7 but near nil on 64bit. cant even find Linux compatible install for most.

does you SD2 have an E3 hot end, full heated bed and MB for them? as those are must for ABS and other new materials its what I still need to finish doing on mine. also finish upgrades and connections on my Atlas 3D scanner but my laptops need attention first now as OS and bugs are making me crazy the last few months plus Thingiverse insanity with all its gliches and zero techs fixing it since October

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs