1 (edited by erosion139 2021-05-17 02:37:11)

Topic: PETG extrusion - stalled motor

Before I describe anything, here is what I have tried.

Temp 195-240 (240 results in too thin filament obv, the heater can barely even keep it there.)
Motor amperage limit of over 2A! (and maybe 2.9A :))

Have not tried,

Nozzle size increase (Edit: I have tried drilling to 2.0mm with no avail, I believe it is due to barrel friction)
higher temps?
Some kind of hopper config that can reduce shearing (is this even possible)

So from all that information you can probably figure out I am having stall problems when I try to extrude the PETG found on this site, and through research, it is apparent to me that the filastruder was not designed with this material in mind? Aside from maybe being able to get away with a larger nozzle. I really don't want to drill my nozzle nor do I have the tools to do is properly, I would really want a drill press.

Setup: A filastruder fully insulated (this is version 2.1 or something with the new motor and acrylic case) with some fans blowing air around, through I cant really blow air directly on the nozzle as it cools it faster than it can heat itself, as it seems. I don't know whether the motor is being strained by the pressure at the nozzle or the pellets being scraped against the inner walls of the pipe. Either way my motor is being stalled and it will stay at a steady 1.8-1.9amps while it is not stalled. Of course I only own one nozzle so I really want to gather some more opinions and possible solutions before potentially destroying my only nozzle. Thanks in advance!

More edit: I have tried removing the insulation other than right on the tip so that it can still get up to temperature but the pellets don't melt too far up the pipe. This I think helped but I haven't been able to test it for very long as it resulted in horrible squeezing and screaming noises coming from the pipe and being amplified by my hopper. So I can't really tell if it reduced the friction but I can definitely say it did something.

Extra edit: I reshredded my failed extrusions and now I am getting a problem I had before where the amperage is low on the motor and the extrusion rate is really slow. What might shredding have to do with this? I am now worried that because I tested the half insulated barrel with a mix of shredded pellets that I have ruined my results and probably didn't solve anything and am now experiencing a problem with how I reshred my plastic. I have never gotten the filastruder to work successfully for any long period of time. It has been super inconsistent for me, or at least consistently slow and or consistently stalled. At the moment I am only extruding at 1-2 inches per minute.

Re: PETG extrusion - stalled motor

Hi, I've replied to your email, once I hear back, we'll either proceed here or via email, up to you.

elmoret wrote:

Hi, I've replied to your email, once I hear back, we'll either proceed here or via email, up to you.

Yep got the email, thanks for your reply.

The question you had brought up about how my initial purge went, well it's been a long time since I have done the initial purge. But I do remember it being very hit or miss. The extruder would sometimes stall/the extrusion speed would be really low and motor torque low as well (0.5-0.7a.) The stall protection board was set correctly to start restricting the torque when the motor drew around 1.6-1.7 amps but depending on the moment etc the motor would stall or under extrude. I believe that there's something wrong with the way I shred my failed filament spools. In that, I don't know if it's the grease in the paper shredder (I tried to reduce the amount) or just the remelting cycles breaking down the plastics. But whenever I try to extrude virgin pellets my extruder stalls, and whenever I extrude recycled pellets my extruder under extrudes with low load.

erosion139 wrote:

The question you had brought up about how my initial purge went, well it's been a long time since I have done the initial purge. But I do remember it being very hit or miss. The extruder would sometimes stall/the extrusion speed would be really low and motor torque low as well (0.5-0.7a.) The stall protection board was set correctly to start restricting the torque when the motor drew around 1.6-1.7 amps but depending on the moment etc the motor would stall or under extrude.

Hmm, it would have been good to troubleshoot that while it was happening. Low motor current can be from poor feeding (plastic not sliding into the barrel well), or poor polymer/barrel wall friction (which I think is affecting your recycled PETG).

erosion139 wrote:

I believe that there's something wrong with the way I shred my failed filament spools. In that, I don't know if it's the grease in the paper shredder (I tried to reduce the amount) or just the remelting cycles breaking down the plastics. But whenever I try to extrude virgin pellets my extruder stalls, and whenever I extrude recycled pellets my extruder under extrudes with low load.

PETG is one of the harder plastics to extrude, and recycled plastics are harder than virgin plastics - so jumping straight in to recycled PETG is going to be challenging. Any grease is not going to help things, as it will reduce the barrel/wall friction which is needed to build pressure (think of trying to spin a nut on a bolt without any friction from your fingers).

Other things that jump out at me - 2.9 amps is a LOT, I would not be surprised if the barrel was damaged (bent) from that. Check the area around the hopper opening and see if the barrel is still straight.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to get ABS extrusion working smoothly first, walking before running and all that. Happy to send you a couple pounds of MG94 ABS free of charge to that end, just email your address. A few photos of your setup would be helpful too, if you could post them here.

5 (edited by erosion139 2021-05-18 17:25:30)

The hopper design I made is supposed to expose as much of the cut out section as possible to hopefully use the auger a little to help agitate the pellets. So far I have never had any kind of poor pellet feed.: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1izYrZV … sp=sharing

This is my full setup, it is very temporary and I really need to move it to a better vented area. I have not been so good to my health with this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PLtdYv … sp=sharing

The barrel doesn't seem to be warped in any way and the auger doesn't make any weird grinding sounds while empty, other than the very occasional squeak.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iERWAL … sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cWRCXl … sp=sharing

I would definitely appreciate sending some more ABS my way to help maybe clean it out more, idk. The end goal is to be able to use PETG of course just because I like its lack of noxious fumes and good layer adhesion. I also ordered a new nozzle as I had drilled mine to 2mm but I don't think I was having overpressure problems. Mostly just barrel wall either friction too high or too low.

I am aware that the auger is from just a normal drill bit, but would you think that replacing it with a proper plastic auger with the tapering feature would yield me better results when it comes to extruding recycled filament? With the potential grease and all anyway, as it forces pellets to be smushed against the barrel more and more as it continues its journey. I believe it was documented already how the filastruder has vastly lower operating pressures than an industrial version. The only difference I see is the auger design.

Also the barrel in the images is not insulated, this is because I sort of ruined my insulation after removing and reapplying it so many times. It just doesn't really hold on very well anymore, maybe you could send some additional insulation as well although I am sure I can find something else at the hardware store. Maybe something I could take on and off a bit easier without damaging it.

6 (edited by erosion139 2021-05-18 22:38:07)

Here's a video of my new setup and the extrusion rate I am currently experiencing. Its not awful, but it sometimes comes with extra bubbles or something. This is probably because I haven't prepared my recycled pellets (dried them in an oven etc) I definitely have the means to do this but just haven't had the time. This is only to test extrusion, but I would be interested to know if perhaps heating and drying the pellets could help my extrusion situation. Do you think it could do something to the grease?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pRKg-h … sp=sharing

Now I should be safe from the noxious fumes from ABS and other fumes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MDORnp … sp=sharing

here's another vid with the mentioned bubbles. This is a sign of moisture in my system right?

Update: Thanks Elmoret for the ABS, the extrusion has gone very well. With expected amperage draws sustaining after an overnight run, and my spooler was able to capture it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_08Miz … sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BBzu5R … sp=sharing

The goal for the dummy winder was just to save on space. I will have to re-spool each completed wind in order for it to be tangle-free. I will probably do this by hand.

The MG94 extruded I believe slower than what I have been hearing and slower than I once extruded the PETG before stalling. It was however consistent and I had no stalls as far as I know, I have been extruding for almost 24 hours and plan to hit that mark tonight. A full 1kg spool will be filled in this amount of time as well. I would like to know if my rates are correct. In the beginning, the pellets circulated around in the barrel until the heat crept up further (probably because some PETG was stuck to the inner core of the auger.) After the constant rotating around in the barrel stopped I started to see filament come through, and the pellets in the hopper were circulating as well. I noticed that they started to turn black, the barrel was very dirty.

Pellets in the hopper: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DHNrAj … sp=sharing

Video of extrusion rate: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RxYhtp … sp=sharing

The extrusion rate was conducted with temperatures set to 170C with a motor current of 1.65 - 1.8 Amps, set the motor voltage to 11v I believe to eliminate the subtle noise change when the heater kicks on.

Tomorrow I will attempt PETG again or perhaps continue extruding ABS, overall I am very pleased to know that my extruder does work, however, I am not sure how well it is currently working. I would be curious what kinds of speeds others are able to achieve these days and what might be slowing mine down if it is being slow. Now that I have this additional ABS I can rework my hopper design, I was thinking it might need some more verticality to increase the pressure at the inlet. It also needs more ABS touching the pipe as the blue hopper is made of PLA and is directly touching the pipe, making the connection weak as the PLA gets soft.

Update: Today I attempted another PETG extrusion, during the purging of the ABS the extrusion rates were very fast. The PETG seems to do well with extrusion speeds. The stall problems however persisted, this time however I had bought some new fiberglass insulation similar to stock, but this time not beat up. I raised my temperatures to 245C and had the motor set to an extremely low voltage to in a way use the available power less for speeding through melted plastic and more for shearing pellets, the extrusion rate was good enough at this speed. But I still had stalls, upward of 3 amps. I don't know how to stop the stalling, the ABS extrusion went fine without a hitch but this PETG I cant get it to not stall the motor. While it is extruding normally at my slow speed I will see 1.3-1.4 amps sometimes higher, and then it will spike to 3 and the motor will stop. Should I cut my insulation to prevent the heat from creeping towards the hopper? My initial idea was to make the entire pipe hot so that it was perhaps easier to move the auger, but maybe I will never reach high enough temperatures at the back of the pipe. Tomorrow I will try cutting the insulation like I did last time (I have much more spare in case I ruin it) and combine it will the slow speed I had tested today, that is a new configuration I have never tried before. I would really like to hear from members who have extruded PETG successfully and how they were able to do it, what modifications were made etc. Because at this point I can only assume they have thicker pipes and a raised current limit. I wonder what would break first, the pipe bending or the auger snapping.

Update: The combination of running slower and cutting the insulation back did not solve my problem, as of right now. The Temperature of the nozzle decreased by quite a bit during this run (190c). This may have lead to the stall, the only reason I don't believe it is nozzle pressure-related is that the stalls are immediate and not gradual. I believe stalling occurs during pellet shear which is why I initially believed heating the area would make the pellets softer for shearing, and now I don't know what the problem is since the problem seems to happen after a period of time extruding. So it must be about the amount of material in the barrel, but it doesn't make sense to me because by the time material is showing out the nozzle the entire barrel should be filled? And with a fan directed onto the uninsulated part of the barrel heat creep shouldn't be happening. So I don't know what is "building up" to eventually cause a stall unless it's some anomaly like 2 pellets being sheared at once instead of 1. What I am going to try next is raising the voltage supplied to the heater, I have acquired a few boost converters for another project I have yet to dive into and if I can increase the voltage to perhaps 15-18v I can boost the power of the heater to combat my temperature drop.

Update: I have disassembled my filastruder and discovered that my thrust bearing assembly has been completely destroyed, this could explain why my barrel did not get twisted when the motor was allowed 3A. It hopefully also is the main reason why my PETG extrusion stalled so much. The build-up of friction against the washer would probably give me the symptoms I have been having. This was my fault though, as I had inadequately lubricated the original bearing. I have invested in some nice grease and I will be printing a custom washer that can hold some grease in a cavity. I will post another update once I have installed the new bearing and such.

I think the damaged bearing is likely the source of most of your headaches, fingers cross that things are solved with the replacement.

elmoret wrote:

I think the damaged bearing is likely the source of most of your headaches, fingers cross that things are solved with the replacement.

I certainly think it will give me some additional overhead when it comes to constant friction, but the shearing problem is still something I want to somehow solve. I was thinking that because of the shape of the barrel that the pellets have too much area to bind up when it comes to being initially fed. I have seen other barrel inlet designs that I believe may solve this problem. I also concluded that shearing is my only issue due to my barrel not being warped despite me hitting crazy high currents because most of the force is being applied close enough to the barrel's mounting point it was perhaps able to resist it. Perhaps cutting an angled slope into the inlet would allow pellets to be more gradually sheared, also sharpening this area to promote slicing through pellets easier. I also wondered if preparing the pellets (making them smaller) could perhaps just solve this problem altogether without modifying the pipe.

13 (edited by erosion139 2021-06-02 00:34:19)

Update: After replacing my thrust bearings and overvolting my heater, the stall problem still persists! sad
So the problem is completely based on shearing pellets as they enter from the hopper, a group of pellets will eventually amass at the inlet and bind up the auger. Unlike ABS, the PETG pellets are extremely durable therefore I have thought of only two ways in which this problem can be solved.

1: The pellets need some kind of inlet that reduces or eliminates the shearing effect, maybe some kind of tapered plastic inlet that will allow them to be rolled up at the side rather than pinched so that they eventually seat into each cavity.

2: The pellets need to be processed more than they already are (the pellets are too big for the extruder) if they can be blended, perhaps made into a powder they will never have to be sheared at the inlet. I don't know if maybe this can be accomplished just by halving their size or if they need to really be powdered. I don't really know how I would go about doing this.

Other than those two, I have not had success with my stock filastruder. Despite cranking the amps up to 3A the shear strength of the PETG is far too strong for the motor to overcome comfortably, and I advise against buying it even though it may sound like the ultimate material. TLDR, it is not a dream in the land of extrusion, and you would be better off perhaps trying to conquer PLA if the durability aspects of PETG are not something you require. Unfortunately for me it is a must! So I need to come up with some way I can get my machine to work with this stuff, and I would really rather not process the PETG pellets as there are so many. I will try to create some sort of inlet design to reduce shearing, but I really cant think of any shape or slope that would handle the forces or not just bind up eventually. It seems like a lost cause in that regard but I thought once I saw someone make one.

Update: Tried to create a gradual pellet inlet. Here are the results:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_85mrA … sp=sharing

Update: You cannot blend PETG pellets, they are too strong. I am now out of ideas.

hi i had the same problem you describe the motor stall when you try to extrude petg, after a lot of testing i found a configuration that let me extrude petg (Eastar 6763) i can extrude 1kg in 5 hr  and with diameter variation +/- .05, i change the nozzle  of the filastruder for parker fitting it have an extra space for molten plastic that reduce alot the torque required for extrusion, normally use 1.3 - 0.9 amps, the drilled hole is 1.7 and the filamente extrude with a diameter of 1.75 and 1.65 i use powder color and  a aditive to keep the powder stick to pellets and avoid powder fliying around the work area i attach some pics of the nozzle and the setup

Extrusion temperature 205
Motor voltage 12.5
Drill hole 1.7
Pellets Eastar 6763
Powder color

http://soliforum.com/i/?jvLXrCA.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?ZYoSP0L.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?oLeG5uY.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?RekGz75.jpg