Topic: Da Vinci Jr: Extruder Cooler?

My extruder is heating up and flattening filament on complex prints with lots of retracts. Has anyone made a mod to work around this? I'm wondering if I can remove the casing to let it breathe more, or add a fan but haven't found any evidence that this has been tried.

No, I'm not talking about a fan for the hotend but rather for the extruder smile

Re: Da Vinci Jr: Extruder Cooler?

Hi,

do you mean something like that, but only for Junior?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124441930555

modfreakz wrote:

Hi,

do you mean something like that, but only for Junior?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124441930555

I think I need something to cool the extruder motor actually, the gears that push filament into the nozzle. Due to retraction the filament seems to be getting flattened when going through the drive gears repeatedly, and I'm thinking it's because the filament is getting warm

Could you please tke few photos of "getting flattened Filament"

5 (edited by Ethereal 2021-03-29 15:29:53)

modfreakz wrote:

Not my image but it looks like this

Post's attachments

dne8kboz4g751.jpg 2.51 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

That's the first mod I made to my Jr as the motor did get quite hot.
I added a radial fan to blow on the extruder motor.
I took the 12v  from the rear fan.
Printed a small mounting plate for it and it sits offset but below the motor and keeps it cool.
Never had the issue since

Am at work so can't give you a pic.

7 (edited by Ethereal 2021-03-30 14:03:55)

Ethereal wrote:
modfreakz wrote:

Not my image but it looks like this

Radial fan seems like a good idea! I'm guessing I could just drill some holes in the side of the case and screw it on actually smile

I tried printing my object with retraction disabled and it printed successfully so I'm pretty sure that adding some cooling will help. I did feel the motor while running and it didn't feel too hot actually, so I'm wondering if adjusting the spring tension is a good idea also. I haven't seen any howtos on that but might disassemble the case to get to it. Unfortunately it seems like that whole assembly is not made to be serviced...