Topic: Best Laser cutter for the money?

I want to buy a laser cutter for wood engraving. I basically wanna burn patterns on wood and need a device with large working area. Any suggestions?

2 (edited by Jim101 2021-02-02 11:58:22)

Re: Best Laser cutter for the money?

You may find a lot more options from reputable brands like Orion or Bob cnc. If you're new to laser cutting you shouldn't buy something that's too expensive. Also don't buy a Chinese laser cutter.

These are some of the best laser wood cutters you can find in the market. [url=

Dave:
You do realize you posted a very open ended  question.

And there is more to a laser than just a laser. you generally need an evacuation fan a compressor and a cooling device to keep the tube cool.   

Burning patterns on wood is pretty basic for laser work. Do you want the ability to cut as well.

and you need to define large.

Laser tubes pretty much set the size of the machine as the tubes get bigger the more power they use/output.

Also what is your purpose for buying a laser ? to start a business or a hobby tool.

Chinese lasers are fine but know upfront yo will likely have to repair upgrade and possibly reengineer them to make a useful tool.

I suggest to try to find a local maker space with a laser and learn to use one before buying. .

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

a very broad question, but based on the description, I can recommend this machine
https://www.amazon.com/MYSWEETY-3018PRO … rds=laser+ cutter + wood & qid = 1613488007 & sr = 8-24

"Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it."

5 (edited by Tin Falcon 2021-02-17 23:56:43)

IMHO that machine is pretty much a toy.
For a little bit more one can have a K 40 these seem to be loved by some a disliked by others
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253198847104
The k40 has a large following and there are many mods made to these machines
the next step up is the k60 more capable but also like 2 grand

Also IMHO it is a bit risky buying direct from china at this price point with a fragile laser tube go through a reputable usa warehouse/importer

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

6 (edited by knowack 2021-03-09 20:13:04)

I have one of these I bought off eBay about 4 years ago (there are several resellers), and have been using it constantly ever since.  They presently go for about $1600-$1700 on eBay.  Anything smaller drifts into the 'toy' category.  A buddy of mine tried to go cheap and bought a K40 (40W desktop), and it is not good. 

Additionally, the K40 and other smaller lasers use a motherboard like a cheap 3d printer.  Typical laser software like Lightburn won't work on those controllers.  There are several resources online to convert the K40 to a more common laser controller, but you still have a low-power laser with a small work area.

-Kevin

Post's attachments

Screenshot 2021-03-09 135824.png 331.92 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.