Topic: New here, looking for some assistance

I got a da vinci 3d printer for xmas and I'm trying to add pictures/upload pictures. Any step by step tutorials as far as transfering pictures, scanning pics and converting them to 3d files?

Re: New here, looking for some assistance

Mark78P wrote:

I got a da vinci 3d printer for xmas and I'm trying to add pictures/upload pictures. Any step by step tutorials as far as transfering pictures, scanning pics and converting them to 3d files?

I hope you did not get the printer thinking it can convert a 2d image in to a 3d image. If so you are going to be dissapointed as that is near impossible with a single image. The best you can do is make a Lithophane but that still requires software to do the conversion before it is ever sent to the printer.

The basic process for 3d printing is this. Make or acquire a file called an STL file. This is your model that is then sent to the slicer such as XYZware or other. The slicer based on settings you setup will slice the model into layers of a set thickness. Most common is .20mm. Once sliced the slicer will create a gcode file. that is the file that is sent to the printer for printing.

You can get premade STL files of various objects from Thingverse.com and Yeggi.com for starters. Again though those have to be sliced. A printer can do nothing with an STL file alone.

Now back to the photo. There is a process called Photogammetry. Using a program called meshroom you take hundreds of photos of an object from all angles and then using meshroom it can take those photos and build a 3d object. Ofcourse you will need to clean up noise and stuff like that from the scan, but once done you can export it to an STL that can be used by your slicer to create a gcode the printer can use.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.