Topic: METAL replacement gears for Filastruder gear motor?

I did a silly thing and damaged a couple of the plastic gears in the gear motor. I have the replacements in the cart, but as I don't care about noise, and would rather they last longer, has anyone found all metal replacement gears that drop in? I did some searching in the forum, and did not find anyone posting about replacing them with all metal gears, so I'm asking.

If not, are the specs for these gears available somewhere?

Re: METAL replacement gears for Filastruder gear motor?

http://soliforum.com/i/?1L2Lw6H.jpg

MrFlippant wrote:

http://soliforum.com/i/?1L2Lw6H.jpg

Sorry, but I looked and couldn’t find any.  Anything similar seems to have plastic gears as well.

Thank you. I haven't had any luck, either. The part that bugs me is that I know that whoever made this gearmotor didn't also make all the gears. I mean, they could have, but they wouldn't be made specifically for this gear motor, so they must be standard gears, and there's probably some company out there that makes them in steel as well as plastic. Problem is, I don't know what they're called in order to find them, let alone how to make sure I get the right ones if I do happen to find them.

MrFlippant wrote:

I did a silly thing and damaged a couple of the plastic gears in the gear motor. I have the replacements in the cart, but as I don't care about noise, and would rather they last longer, has anyone found all metal replacement gears that drop in? I did some searching in the forum, and did not find anyone posting about replacing them with all metal gears, so I'm asking.

If not, are the specs for these gears available somewhere?

Don't you just need thickness, diameter, teeth per inch/mm, and ID of shaft opening?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I guess? I'm investigating that stuff now, and have found some sites that sell double spur gears (which apparently is what these are called?). If I figure it out, and find a place that sells the necessary replacements, I'll post about it here, for sure.

We don't have the specs on them, sorry.

You're right that plastic is used because of noise - it isn't about cost. I'd expect 500-1000 hours of life out of a set of gears, unless load is higher than designed.

I found some helpful things online and am working on determining the specs of the two mostly plastic gears.

I'd like to exceed the designed load a little bit. ;-)

Basically, I'm following Stefan's guide to designing a replacement gear by manual measuring of the existing gear and Fusion 360's Spur Gear tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuJmWKsCYcU

I figure I'll get "close enough" in Fusion, then see if I can find something out there I can order up and test.