Topic: Help on Buying my first 3d Printer :)

Hello all!

I've been looking into the 3d printing hobby for a while now and I'm finally thinking about jumping in! My main goal right now is to print high performance functional RC car parts. I've done some research and I think NylonX might be the best choice of filament for my use case. I'm having some trouble finding the right 3d printer for the task though. I'm a broke college boi and really don't have much money to spend on a printer right now, my absolute budget is $750 and under. I'm still learning about 3d printing and from what i heard carbon fiber/nylon filaments print much better in an enclosed environment. For $750, I would need a printer that can already handle this filament with no further upgrades done (one thing that is keeping me away from the Prusa i3). So far the Qidi X-Plus seems like a decent option, but im really worried about making the wrong choice and ending up with something that is a waste of money. I'm also open to buying a cheaper printer and upgrading it to the point of printing carbon fiber nylon. As long as the upgrades needed to be done aren't to hard for a noob like me to pull off. lol

One other really important spec I need:

- print bed with dimensions greater than 23cm in either the X (length) or Y (width) dimension.

Any and all help is really appreciated! big_smile

Re: Help on Buying my first 3d Printer :)

my honest suggestion is to wait, keep saving your money and when you can afford it, buy a higher quality printer.
Sure, there are gobs of them on the market for cheap.. and that is exactly what you get - cheap! dont waste your time with them.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Re: Help on Buying my first 3d Printer :)

I print nylon frequently. You will HAVE to have a way of drying your filament also. It needs to be dry before it is printed and if the print is going to take any real amount of time it should stay drying during the print. I leave my spools of filament in the dehydrator while printing.

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm