1 (edited by printernoob 2020-08-22 13:17:57)

Topic: extruder not in position when leveling

I just bought a D4S to experiment with plv. But immediately there is a problem with leveling because the nozzle is not above the baseplate. The plate goes too high before stopping, then lowers and then the nozzle goes to the center. After that the base(print)-plate lifts and pushes the extruder-part a bit up. Is there a way to calibrate the nozzle (extruder)-position so it will be above the plate when starting the baseplate-level operation?

Re: extruder not in position when leveling

No idea what a ds 4 is
Most 3d printer have some adjustment to the z stop

also there is adjustment to the bed.

so you either need to raise the z stop a bit or lower the bed maybe both.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

3 (edited by printernoob 2020-08-22 15:32:01)

Thank you for your reply. The printer is a wanhao D4S (duplicator) The z-stop happens when the print-plateau raises and touches the nozzle gently. However since the nozzle isn't above the plateau the plateau rises a bit too high until it touches te edge of the nozzle. The nozzle is a bit beside the printplateau. I don't know how to adjust the zero position of the nozzle in such a way that it rests above the plateau in Zero position. Because then it would stop at the right height, it would then center the nozzle and it would be prepared for leveling the print-base.

4 (edited by Tin Falcon 2020-08-22 14:59:50)

Not sure if you have a manual for this machine
Here it is if you need it.
http://wanhao3dprinter.eu/wp-content/up … Manual.pdf

On this printer step 1 of leveling the build plate is to tighten all four knobs 4-5 turns.
Page 20 of said manual.

double check your x and y stops make sure they are in position and hooked up.

I have a Monoprice ultimate maker (Wanhao D6) that he auto bed routine does not work. it set s the nozzle way too high i just resort to manual bed level and it works fine.

From what you are saying it sounds like the something has come loose or is out of alignment.

Wanhao has a good reputation but fasteners do come loose on the long trip from the east to the west.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Printers are constantly changing . I was checking a newly assembled ender 3 and the x would not home . moved fine in expected direction manually. found the end stop plug not plugged in . now working fine.

Thank you all for thinking with me. I will check the endstop plugs then. I already tried levelling according to the manual but it doesn't say what to do if the nozzles are in the wrong place. (not straight above the platform but a bit beside it, it goes there automatically)

Home for XYZ printers is off the platform. They home in the back corner of the case, not the platform.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

sound like the end stops are out of place or the build plate is to small .also check to see if there is a screw at the back of the build plate . That is how my d 6 is set up and they are notorious for coming loose and even falling out as they have no factory lock nut. check to see if you have a z stop and check that what it is supposed to engage is in place.
The end stops are pretty hidden in these machine you may need a flashlight and even a mirror to locate.

on mine the z stop is fairly visible on the back of the machine between the z screw and the left guide rod.  and the screw is below it on the bed support . yours may be different. if the screw is there back it out several turns. then find a nut and spring to lock it in place. or just back it out for now then try to level the bed. but if not lock in place it will move in time.

I just wanted let you all know that my screen in this forum didn't refresh automatically . So I didn't notice new messages. My late reaction therefore is not because I am not interested in your opinions. On the contrary: Thank you all so far!

10 (edited by printernoob 2020-08-23 12:44:35)

A small led indicates when the platform touches the nozzle and causes it to stop and return a few mm. Then the nozzle goes to the center and the platform rises again (a bit too high). Because the nozzle is a bit beside the platform and not above it, the platform touches the nozzle a bit too late, at it's side, causing the platform to stop too late. The platform touching the nozzle seems to be the z-stop.

what could help is by posting a few pictures, it will help people see what your saying rather that trying to imagine your setup.
take pics of the bed / nozzle / led indicator / and insides of the printer from as many angles as you can.
the better pictures you can post the better idea people will get and should be able to help a lot easier

sounds to me like you need to adjust where the printhead stops on either X or Y  (or both) so that Z can be appropriately set in this routine.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

13 (edited by printernoob 2020-08-23 15:49:42)

Yes! Found it. Indeed the microswitch to stop the x-axis was bent away a bit. I repositioned it an glued it in position. All is well now. Thank you all for thinking with me!